Mazda 6 Forums banner

Weird noise issue in rear of mazdaspeed6

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  We Are Ninja 
#1 ·
I have been having a weird noise that I have been unable to locate the problem. Currently have 74xxx miles and I have owned it since new. This is my DD and it just started making the crazy noise from the rear.

Inspected rear end and brakes didn't look that good. Pads were uneven and deep grove in the rotor. I assumed it was failing caliber making the noise. I replaced the rear caliber, brake pads, and rotors and yet the noise is still there. I have visual inspected everything and nothing looked out of place or damaged.

Unbolted the strut, to make sure it didn't fail and is worked fine nothing leaking and still function well.

Any ideas?

link to video of noise (http://vid295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/snohacking/20140805_193925_zps790e6f5c.mp4)

Current mods list
StreetUnit StiffDiff Rear Differential Brace
turbosmart dual bov
aem intake
cobb turbo inlet

See less See more
#2 ·
I should add it only does it going forward, nothing in reverse. Drives and feel normal just the noise. louder at low speeds and no noise when jack stands and manually spinning tires

#6 ·
Sounds like something hitting a shield....

Is the sound equal on both sides, or distinctly more to one corner?

Also, picky I know but brakes have calipers, with a "p"....

#8 ·
Cool- makes it much easier!
Try removing the rotor shield temporarily, or at least bending it away from the rotor, and see if that effects the symptom.

#9 ·
Moved to shield out to the way and still I heard it. I started rocking the car side to side and I can hear something moving around. Maybe sway bar bushings failing? I got a friend coming over to help located noise tomorrow.

#11 ·
drive shaft is in good shape , but I think I have found the problem. The wheel bearing has some play so I believe that is the issue. I am very short of free time so I will have to get to it sometime this week. I will keep this thread updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.