Almost stalled car, smoking exhaust -- related? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Almost stalled car, smoking exhaust -- related?

So we decided to drive the the beach. Traffic was horrible! so many snow birds it wasn't funny.

Anyways, I was doing a lot of idling and a lot of first gear under 1500 RPM. It was about 40 minutes of that on the way there -- no smoke.

On the way back I was idling/low rpm driving for about 5 minutes. Not paying attention I almost clunked it out. The battery light came on but it didn't stall as i depressed clutch right away. It wasn't too violent either.

Anyways, shortly (10-15 seconds) after this incident (wife laughed at me) I noticed smoke out the back end. gave it some gas and more smoke (light in color gray).

I was able to go in second and gave it some nice gas and got a small smoke screen going. It did this for not too long. Turned onto the bridge, shifted at 3k each time and got in 3rd gave some more gas and the smoking stopped.

After the bridge I hit 3 more stop and go as well as 2 long red lights. -- no smoke.

I've done this almost stall it out before. (backing up on an incline didn't go well) We survived without stalling but shortly after noticed smoke.

I've had it idle for 10 minutes with no smoke so I'm not sure what cause it.
Any ideas?

I think it might be related to a rich condition caused by almost stalling (the battery light came on as my rpm dropped to near zero)

** Side notes ***
uses 5w-30
never smoking issues before
mods are in sig - I have my cats too

I'm thinking about just moving to heavier weight to avoid any issues, is this a good idea!?

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you close to an oil change? Maybe fuel dilution? Won't hurt to go 5W40.
06 MS6, Blk Mica, MS wheels 18x7.5, Magnaflow CB, SU MM, CS Strut bar, Bilstein shocks, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT, MPI Upgraded K04, TT Diff Frt mount & R. Bushings, SP slotted rotors, Hawk rear pads, Whiteline RSB, Steedspeed mani, JBR TIG. Cobb AP, DCR VVT
RPM: Sport Springs, Shark Fin, LED side markers
HKS: BOV
CP-e: CDFP, TIP, Xcel CAI, Catted DP, BOV Flange, gauge pod, TMIC, Safeseals, Stage 2 block, Stage 1 clutch
Poohster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Poohster For This Useful Post:
jm211 (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am due for new oil. In fact I just purchased a new filter and can. Just waiting to pick up the oil. (about 6 months but only 3,000 miles at most)

If there is zero negatives for the heavy oil then I might as well try that.

Rotella T5? (Think thats the 10w-40)

I also only buy gas from shell at one specific pump. I drive about 350-500 miles per month and never had issues. Shit, I hardly ever drive it hard either.

My only thought was a bunch of un-burnt gas entering crankcase due to me almost stalling. Not sure though...

Edit: Not sure about previous owner but I can only assume I am on oem plugs --haven't check (IknowIknow..) I am at 56k miles and know I need some plugs.

It drives smooth though. No hicups except for the stock tune. normal idle and steady power throughout band --except redline but again thats the stock tune.

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6

Last edited by jm211; 01-27-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

rotella T5 is 5W40. At one time, I used 5W50. Most here would not advise that. DISI sbuject the oil to fuel dilution so around 3-4K miles, the oil is slightly thinner. I have been running 5W40 for about 40K with a Bnoon restrictor bolt. Most smoking at idle is oil seeping through the turbo oil seals. Could look at the Valve Cover TSB or the change the turbo TSB.
06 MS6, Blk Mica, MS wheels 18x7.5, Magnaflow CB, SU MM, CS Strut bar, Bilstein shocks, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT, MPI Upgraded K04, TT Diff Frt mount & R. Bushings, SP slotted rotors, Hawk rear pads, Whiteline RSB, Steedspeed mani, JBR TIG. Cobb AP, DCR VVT
RPM: Sport Springs, Shark Fin, LED side markers
HKS: BOV
CP-e: CDFP, TIP, Xcel CAI, Catted DP, BOV Flange, gauge pod, TMIC, Safeseals, Stage 2 block, Stage 1 clutch
Poohster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Poohster For This Useful Post:
jm211 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

did some searching about the rotella quick

T5 is 10w-40 and is a semi-synthetic blend
T6 is 5w-40 and is a full synthetic blend (but not energy conserving so less MPG)

Bova did a UOA and both the T5 and T6 performed equally well up to 5000 miles.

What I don't get about my issue is why didn't it seep past on the way to the beach. I idle 4 times as long. On the way home its wasn't as much idling and there was my "accidental" almost clunked it out. Then the smoke.

As for the plugs, I think im just gona get the NGK OEM's. jscspeed has then for 55$ for a 4 pack. I wont bother with the denso's and I think the 1 step colder will just foul out too quickly.

-TiGraySpeed6
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Thanked 1,094 Times in 775 Posts
Groans: 18
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts

i use t6. also with t6 you can go at least 6000 miles without changing oil. 6-8k mile oil change intervals is great.

SOLD: 2006 BCM MS6 GT #00584
CP-E 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust. CP-E TMIC. HTP 3" TIP. Custom 3.5" MAF SRI. SU RMM. SU TP. Forge V1 BPV. Cobb AP. RichTuned. Denso ITV22. PTP HPFP Internals. STi S204 Lip. Megan Racing Springs. XXR 530 18x8.75 +33. VEI Boost Gauge with Block8head pod. Blox Shift Knob.

SOLD: 2009 Mazda 6i GT.

6Y MAZDA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,912 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

T6, you want the 5-40.
If mileage is a concern you would actually lower your mileage ever so slightly on a 10 weight since it's thicker. FWIW, I could even /feel/ the extra drag, which really surprised me.

I found that when the seals first start to wear out the smoking starts with a combination of old oil and a low idle event as that momentary loss of vacuum allows oil to build up in the turbo and the old, hot, thin oil can penetrate the seal into the exhaust side.

Change your oil and upgrade to the t6 5w40. Next steps to address the smoking symptom include raising the idle and using a banjo bolt with specs small enough to prevent oil building up, often just called an oil restrictor bolt, or bnoon bolt.

Eventually the seals will just simply fail and it will smoke every time you idle, at which point you rebuild, replace or upgrade.
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (01-28-2013), jm211 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Another t6 fan here... I was fortunate enough to get my turbo swapped out under warranty though.

Go Faster: CorkSport SRI/TIP, SU Test Pipe, Autotech Internals, IVT22's, Cobb AP
Anti break stuff: SURE Dreadnaught, TorqR6 RMM
Appearence: STRI DSD Boost Guage/Blockhead 60mm Guage Pod, Snow tire/wheels mod for the effin' snow
scubasteve711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to scubasteve711 For This Useful Post:
jm211 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

++ 1 on the Rotella.....this DISI engine loves this oil, I was on redline syn but switched over due to the popularity and costs (picked up a gallon for $22 bucks @ walmart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post

Eventually the seals will just simply fail and it will smoke every time you idle, at which point you rebuild, replace or upgrade.

hey if it still smokes.....get a beaner.......everyone's doing it, eh Ti!

pending - JBR OCC
bazzarino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bazzarino For This Useful Post:
jm211 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,912 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

It makes for a heck of an upgrade, no doubt about it.

Even better, it's hundreds cheaper than a new K04 from mazda, and about $100 cheaper than the new K04 that edgeautosport has for sale, so it's tough to argue about better performance, better price and never smoking for what is essentially a bolt in turbo
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
jm211 (01-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.