Clutch or something else?. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Clutch or something else?.

Ever since my car got towed for personal reasons. The car has been feeling weird. Pulls from 1st to 2nd gear its fine, but once I get into 3rd to 4th and so on, I can feel the car not moving at all. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, the RPM would go down a bit then up, boost is going up but the car is going nowhere. It feels like a rubber band is holding back my car and then it goes.
Fuel pressure is at 1797, boost at 15.8 and everything seems normal.

When the car was towed, I never put it on gear while I park and they did pull it from the front wheels.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 309 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,130 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Towing was your issue here i think if it was towed by just the front wheels. AWD cars should go on a flatbed only.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (01-14-2013)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah flatbed only as far as I am aware....
Hopefully it's not major damage
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes.

AWD need flatbed or skates.

You say it was towed front wheels. I recommend draining rear differential and the PTO/transfer case fluid...do transmission as well, do a flush and refill with Amsoil fluids. Go from there.

Are they legally liable? Well maybe a civil suit. Contact your insurance (if you have full coverage) I googled around but haven't seen an outcome.; I'll keep looking

Black Mica 2006 Speed6 GT | 60,000 Miles
Cobb AP | Stage 1 | JBR Stage II Intake - Blue | CP-e Exhaust | JBR RMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Return | SURE Anchors | SURE AGS 625g Shift Knob | All Amsoil Fluids | Forge V1

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6

Last edited by jm211; 01-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jm211 For This Useful Post:
djmarkian (01-14-2013)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Yah it was towed by a regular scorpion tow truck. I thought AWD is disengaged when the handbrake is on?. Anyway, I will drain the fluids and see what happens.

I doubt they are legally liable anyway.

COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 309 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,130 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Having the handbrake on while being towed isnt a great idea either.

AWD = only flatbeds

I would like to think they are liable. They should know what they are towing & how to properly tow it. Just my 2

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Well not all tow companies knows their cars. Remember this car is not well known, they wouldn't know it's AWD.

My fault anyway.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarkian View Post
Well not all tow companies knows their cars. Remember this car is not well known, they wouldn't know it's AWD.

My fault anyway.
hopefully its fixable or something. but i would like to think that they are somewhat liable but who knows.

the one click up thing only supposedly works for a period of time. some people made switches for it but they realized after having it on for a bit it went back to awd on its own. in any case i think its a purely electronic thing so if your car wasnt actually on i dont think the awd would be disengaged... i'm guessing on that but given how it works thats how i understand it

2006 White Water Pearl Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring #5430

BNR S3 currently being tuned

SURE RMM - HTP 3" TIP - SSP BigMAF SRI - GS EBCS - M2 Catless DP - Autotech HPFP Internals - Cobb AP - NGK Iridium 1step colder - Custom 2.5" FMIC w/ TR8 - GHL Resonated Dual Catback Exhaust - TS/SU DP BOV - CAR LED tails -
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingerdeathpunch View Post
hopefully its fixable or something. but i would like to think that they are somewhat liable but who knows.

the one click up thing only supposedly works for a period of time. some people made switches for it but they realized after having it on for a bit it went back to awd on its own. in any case i think its a purely electronic thing so if your car wasnt actually on i dont think the awd would be disengaged... i'm guessing on that but given how it works thats how i understand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarkian View Post
when I get into 3rd to 4th and so on, I can feel the car not moving at all. ... ... It feels like a rubber band is holding back my car and then it goes.
From this; it sure sounds like the clutch is slipping under boost.

I completely agree with everyone about towing AWD and if the key was off, it's moot point as the rear diff is electronically coupled.

Review of the car and the impact; the rear diff should be fine. However the electronic control coupling attached to it, that may not be OK. It has two sets of clutch packs. If they had adequate lube, they could also be fine. What I don't see is if there is an oil pump to pump oil into them. In normal use the drive shaft is turning if the car is moving. As is the rear diff and its pinion shaft into the electromagnetic clutch pack.

In short - if the car is moving the "input shaft is turning" and the rear diff's pinion into the coupler is turning at near the same speed but they "may not be coupled" via the clutch pack being engaged. This means minimal slippage under NORMAL use as they at so close to the same speed. That is NOT the case here. A tight clutch pack will burn without lots of lube to cool it. <<The good news, it was in neutral so it wasn't like the pack couldn't drag the shaft to the trans up to speed.

So the question is; did it hurt it? If it burned the clutches you will smell that and see it when the fluid is dumped.

The bigger question is did it harm the trans? SO - How far was it towed and at what speeds?

I vote your clutch is toast based upon this; "when I get into 3rd to 4th and so on, I can feel the car not moving at all."

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >101,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads

Last edited by Final Impact; 01-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
djmarkian (01-14-2013), oh_yeams6 (01-14-2013)
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
From this; it sure sounds like the clutch is slipping under boost.

I completely agree with everyone about towing AWD and if the key was off, it's moot point as the rear diff is electronically coupled.

Review of the car and the impact; the rear diff should be fine. However the electronic control coupling attached to it, that may not be OK. It has two sets of clutch packs. If they had adequate lube, they could also be fine. What I don't see is if there is an oil pump to pump oil into them. In normal use the drive shaft is turning if the car is moving. As is the rear diff and its pinion shaft into the electromagnetic clutch pack.

In short - if the car is moving the "input shaft is turning" and the rear diff's pinion into the coupler is turning at near the same speed but they "may not be coupled" via the clutch pack being engaged. This means minimal slippage under NORMAL use as they at so close to the same speed. That is NOT the case here. A tight clutch pack will burn without lots of lube to cool it. <<The good news, it was in neutral so it wasn't like the pack couldn't drag the shaft to the trans up to speed.

So the question is; did it hurt it? If it burned the clutches you will smell that and see it when the fluid is dumped.

The bigger question is did it harm the trans? SO - How far was it towed and at what speeds?

I vote your clutch is toast based upon this; "when I get into 3rd to 4th and so on, I can feel the car not moving at all."
It may have been towed for 30 or so miles drove it locally, so probably the speed is around 30 to 40 MPH. Each time I drive the car, I do not smell anything that should smell like a burnt clutch. I have no CEL and no other warning lights. I am hoping it is just the fluid or the clutch. I need to replace the clutch anyway. Your reply made more sense, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page