New guy here considering buying a Speed6! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New guy here considering buying a Speed6!

I've always had a thing for the first gen Mazda6. My best friend had an 04 Mazda6 with the V6 with a MTX, and I've fallen in love with the car ever since riding in that one. I've owned a 2005 Mazda3 Hatch and unfortunately totaled it, and I'm currently driving a 2003 Infiniti i35.

But enough of my background. I'm highly considering buying a Mazdaspeed6. This is the car I'm looking at specifically: 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

Is this priced fairly? I know it's under KBB. And are these cars reliable? This will be the first car I'm buying with my own money, and I would keep it through the rest of my undergrad and through all of grad school (another 5+ years). As a student, I want something fun to drive, but also being reliable as well. I can't afford to have it break down on me while commuting to school. So what are the major common issues with these cars? I've heard the clutch is terrible. I was also considering a first gen Speed3, but they're definitely not as classy or refined as the Speed6, not to mention FWD. Let me know what you think, Speed6 community!
focoquachy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Thanked 1,124 Times in 906 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Welcome to the club!!

The speed6 is a great car. Cant comment much on the overall reliability of them but the do certainly have their qwerks. Think of it as a high maintenance girlfriend lol. Generally i think they are fairly reliable but it all depends on previous maintenance being taken care of and if the car was beaten on by the previous owner(s).

Where abouts are you from? The best thing i can think of is if you have someone local to you know knows these cars well, maybe they would be generous enough to accompany you to check the car out. Its always good to have another set of eyes when checking out a car. Especially someone who knows the specific car well.

Im sure some of the speed guys will chime in with their knowledge & expertise. Good luck in your quest to purchase a fine piece of automotive engineering!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm from the Bay Area in California; specifically San Jose! I love these cars so much, I know it'd make me happy. But at the same time, I have to be realistic and make sure that the 13 grand I'm spending is going to be worthy.
focoquachy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Thanked 1,124 Times in 906 Posts
Groans: 1

Honestly, i think its a fair price if everything is mechanically sound. I know that engine/tranny & rear diff mounts are basically a must when it comes to upgrades to help keep the driveline healthy.

Id be interested in knowing if its had any warranty work done especially the turbo & VVT as they are known to crap out & the VVT will run ya about $1300 if you pay outta pocket. I believe Mazda extended the VVT warranty to 75k miles.

I would also be asking what he has for service records so you can be assured that it has been maintained. Was the seller the original purchaser? He may even be a member on here, 6crew or MSF.

Those tails are worth about $400 as well so thats a nice little bonus

Last edited by Mr.Smoke; 01-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
Emew (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know how far @mick_estes is from you but he may know the owner or be able to give you some idea on where to seek out a good mechanic.

It's a great car but like stated, high maintenance girlfriend. You should be prepared to instantly seek out a lot of preventative maintenance mods since an aftermarket warranty won't be included with the car but you should have 25k miles left on the turbo iirc. Be prepared to drop around $750 on say motor mounts, oil catch can, differential mounts. That'd be a good starting package, or hop right into an ap so you can get rid of the garbage stock tune. Ask questions regarding replacement turbo, vvt, egr. And drive it of course. It's worth every penny imo as long as you give in to taking solid care of the car, you will love the ride you get in exchange. @TiGraySpeed6 what are the warranties mazda provided with our speeds?

Sent from my dial up phone

Last edited by Emew; 01-11-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Emew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Emew For This Useful Post:
Mr.Smoke (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

50$ says the douche bent a rod and hes dumping it.

any warranty or TSB would soon be expiring for this 2006. This includes the smoking turbo and VVT. The cut off is this year or 70k miles for the TSB.

This car has many quirks and potential issues. #1 being bent rods. followed by the VVT, bad turbo seals, wheel bearings, bad 2nd or 2rd gear, and a few minor things that cost less than a $1000.

I am wearing of a modded car for sale as this clearly is.

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6

Last edited by jm211; 01-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

Read the noob thread, it will tell you a lot. You can check for a bent rod or other issues like turbo, VVT, ect yourself.

The car can be reliable, but it is still a sport car, meaning its not a cheap beater you can do as you please with.

Good luck

Guide to Preventative Maintenance and Modding
DIY FMIC for $220
oh_yeams6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,868 Posts

The '06 came with a 48 month, 50K warranty from Mazda.

If you're a student with a limited budget I would encourage finding another Speed6 owner to look at the car with you.

These can indeed be a great car, but they can turn into a money pit if you have a bad example, or do not take good care of it. They're wonderful and fun cars, but they can be high maintenance.

I'd also suggest finding out what your insurance cost would be.

Good Luck!
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts

Mick is 30 mins from me and I'm 3 hrs from San Jose so haha

Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Thanked 1,220 Times in 762 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

I don't think it is a good car for somebody in for another 5 years of grad school.

I won't pretend to know your financial situation, but if you think you can wing it, you'll have a lot of fun.
The Speed has pissed a lot of people off over the years. I'm sure it partly explains why so few OGs remain. It is a love it or hate it car, and if you pick the wrong one from a used lot, she can easily stab you in the dick.

But those good days are sweet. It is a blast to drive, and highly rewarding behind the wheel. Very subtle, but still grabs attention from those who know what they're looking at. Overall, an unforgettable car to own.
IHeartGroceries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IHeartGroceries For This Useful Post:
Jjkalai (01-13-2013), MWSpeed6 (01-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.