Potential MS6 buyer, Mazda says no to smoking turbo - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Potential MS6 buyer, need help with pricing asap

Sorry this is long-winded, but I'm looking to buy the car tomorrow evening or Saturday morning and need answers asap.

I'm looking to buy a speed 6 from a non Mazda dealer. 06' LPM, GT, 52k, completely stock, 1 owner servicing the car in MD and VA. Car is in MD where I live.

My ultimate goal for this thread is to talk the dealer down in price. I've read buyers guide so I know the shit points of the car.

Long story short, we both decided that we should send the car to Mazda to see if the VVT, timing chain and turbo fell under warranty and go from there as the car ran a little rough.

The non Mazda dealer called back saying the timing chain was going to be replaced and not the turbo per Mazda saying the smoke wasn't bad enough or its not caused by the turbo. I asked about the VVT issue and he said he didn't think they did that warranty claim. It was too late in the day to call Mazda to get the rundown from them. I'm calling them in the morning but I could potentially buy the car tomorrow or Saturday. So, I want some quick opinions from you guys.

1. What are the scenarios that would cause white smoke, if not the turbo, and how much do you think parts/repairs would cost to fix it? I want to use this number to further lower the price.
2. There is rust on the strut tower black piece and bolts and some on this thin metal piece going over a tan fluid reservoir next to the lower left corner of the intercooler. The piece is still solid despite rust. What is this piece and what would cause the rust in the engine bay? How much can I talk them down due to this rust?

Let me also say that this car would have gone to auction (their words) if not for my inquiry the morning after they got it as a trade. The dealer also deals in high end cars i.e. a Mazda would be an eyesore on their lot. So, I know they don't really give a crap about this car.

The dealer will be giving me new all-season tires (idk the brand).

***So....they want 17k. My friend thinks they would've taken a 5k hit off their asking price if it went to the auction. My initial thought was 16k on the road including taxes, etc. Now that the turbo claim was denied, I don't know how much to lower the price cuz I'm new to turbos and I don't know what else would cause the white smoke. My new thought is 15.5k or 15k, but that's just a guess as to what repairs might be.

Please equip me with knowledge so I can get a good deal on this car. Any help is much appreciated!

New: 2006 LPM MS6 GT: The benchmark of luxury, style, and sex appeal.
Cobb AP V2, Cobb SRI/TIP, Car-Led Taillights, Flashing 3rd brake light module, 20% Tint, 2 12" Sony Xplod subs, Sony Xplod 1000w amp, Grom Audio iPod integration, Dynamat, s2k stubby antenna, LEDs everywhere

Old: 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6S
Injen cat-back, Injen CAI, RX8's on 245/40, 6000k DDM HIDS, 13% tint, s2k stubby antenna, 2 12" Sony Xplod subs, Sony Xplod 1000w amp, Grom Audio iPod integration, LEDs everywhere

Last edited by chuloloco; 12-07-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: changed to better title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, it's the turbo that's making the smoke. The dealership is stupid. If you take the car to the Mazda dealership, it'll be under warranty. There are a couple ways of getting rid of it. The usual being to run a heavier weight of oil and picking up an Accessport and upping the idle (AP is highly recommended and you'll probably be picking one up in the future, they run ~500). And you could also get a new turbo (depends wether new or used and labor).

I'm not sure of what you're taking about in your second question. Do you have a picture?

16k seems pretty reasonable... It has low-ish miles, and the smoking turbo and VVT are VERY common issues.

Good luck.

Cobb AP - CP-E Nano SRI - CP-E Single exit CBE - CP-E RMM - PG TIP - SLS TP - Forge V1 BPV - HKS Hipermax LS+ Coilovers - Car_LED Tails - Prosport Gauges - Dashhawk - JBR SSP/Counterweight/Bushings/Heavy Shift Knob
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjkalai View Post
Welcome!

Yes, it's the turbo that's making the smoke. The dealership is stupid. If you take the car to the Mazda dealership, it'll be under warranty. There are a couple ways of getting rid of it. The usual being to run a heavier weight of oil and picking up an Accessport and upping the idle (AP is highly recommended and you'll probably be picking one up in the future, they run ~500). And you could also get a new turbo (depends wether new or used and labor).

I'm not sure of what you're taking about in your second question. Do you have a picture?

16k seems pretty reasonable... It has low-ish miles, and the smoking turbo and VVT are VERY common issues.

Good luck.
FYI pic not of the car I'm looking to buy

White= rust areas Red= oxidized? area...it wasn't a solid grey color like what it used to be. What would that white shit be?

Yeah, I know about the 5w-40 oil fix and that I can get the turbo and VVT (if they haven't replaced it with the timing chain) replaced under warranty. I'm actually glad they didn't replace the turbo. now I can use that as part of my negotiating stating that if its not the turbo its something else I will have to fix. I figured the dealership was being a dumby head.

The dealer in my area seems cool and will probably do it. I called them asking if they are mod friendly. They said as long as your mod(s) isn't related to the problem area you're fine. Won't know if that's true until it happens.

Just curious, how much does a k04 plus install cost at a dealership?

Cobb AP V2, Cobb SRI/TIP, Car-Led Taillights, Flashing 3rd brake light module, 20% Tint, 2 12" Sony Xplod subs, Sony Xplod 1000w amp, Grom Audio iPod integration, Dynamat, s2k stubby antenna, LEDs everywhere

Injen cat-back, Injen CAI, RX8's on 245/40, 6000k DDM HIDS, 13% tint, s2k stubby antenna, 2 12" Sony Xplod subs, Sony Xplod 1000w amp, Grom Audio iPod integration, LEDs everywhere

Last edited by chuloloco; 12-07-2012 at 03:01 AM.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's not too late, try to get the price down instead of getting those "free" tires. Those tires they will be putting on will probably be the cheapest kind that you don't want. Believe me, after doing some research on tires, you could make a better choice which ones to get yourself.

MBA
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

the ones that are on the car are summer tires and they said that they were dry rotted a bit. I don't know anything about Tires but once I see the new tires I'm going to price check/review them online on the spot before buying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by chuloloco; 12-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
I would honestly wait for an MS6 with less rust and less problems... Another will show up sooner or later.

Cobb AP - CP-E Nano SRI - CP-E Single exit CBE - CP-E RMM - PG TIP - SLS TP - Forge V1 BPV - HKS Hipermax LS+ Coilovers - Car_LED Tails - Prosport Gauges - Dashhawk - JBR SSP/Counterweight/Bushings/Heavy Shift Knob
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

The rust wasn't really bad. it was just ugly. also there is rust on the bolts holding down the intercooler cover? how would the engine bay get rust? My 6s has zero rust.

do you know what that part is that is to the left of the intercooler?

I'll take a look at it again tomorrow and take pics and just wait for Saturday to buy it. the car wasn't detailed yet so maybe it'll look better.

Last edited by chuloloco; 12-07-2012 at 03:18 AM.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oxidation is pretty common on these cars. I looked at 4 mazdaspeeds with under or around 30k miles and they all looked similar. Yea it's not pretty to look at but it won't harm anything.

As for the rust, well a few of my bolts are "rusting" in those top two areas but not rusted. I'm not sure how it came to be that way but I'm sure living in an area that has a moderate amount of snow annually with townships that remedy the situation by applying an inch of salt during each snowfall had something to do with it.

Although they are eye sores they are easy fixes and lets not forget, you are buying a used 5 year old car so trying to nit-pick might not help with your negotiation

Best of luck!

Liquid Platinum 07 Speed 6 #10177
JBR 80duro RMM, 70 duro TMM/PMM, Sure Juggernaut, Sure Dreadnaught
GTX3071, Cobb AP, HTP3.5" Intake, Streetunit TMIC, M2 DP, TurboSmart BOV, Grimmspeed EBCS, AT Internals, GP Werks BSD & Baffle, Denso ITV22, TWM Stage 2, Dashhawk, JBR OCC, JBR TB TIG, SURE IM TIG, VTCS Delete, Ford Transit Oil Filter Conversion, Clean Valves!
LED tail lights, 20% tint, EVO X rims and VG Sharkfin
Big Turbo baby!
Soon to install CPE Exh. Mani
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6erforlife View Post
Oxidation is pretty common on these cars. I looked at 4 mazdaspeeds with under or around 30k miles and they all looked similar. Yea it's not pretty to look at but it won't harm anything.

As for the rust, well a few of my bolts are "rusting" in those top two areas but not rusted. I'm not sure how it came to be that way but I'm sure living in an area that has a moderate amount of snow annually with townships that remedy the situation by applying an inch of salt during each snowfall had something to do with it.

Although they are eye sores they are easy fixes and lets not forget, you are buying a used 5 year old car so trying to nit-pick might not help with your negotiation

Best of luck!
I asked the mechanic at the dealership about the rust and he said MD winters. I probably won't say anything about the rust but what is that part I circled to the left of the intercooler???

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuloloco View Post
I asked the mechanic at the dealership about the rust and he said MD winters. I probably won't say anything about the rust but what is that part I circled to the left of the intercooler???

Well I can't say for sure without getting a good look inside my own engine bay but right below that metal piece is the power steering fluid I believe so perhaps it' hooked up to that...

Liquid Platinum 07 Speed 6 #10177
JBR 80duro RMM, 70 duro TMM/PMM, Sure Juggernaut, Sure Dreadnaught
GTX3071, Cobb AP, HTP3.5" Intake, Streetunit TMIC, M2 DP, TurboSmart BOV, Grimmspeed EBCS, AT Internals, GP Werks BSD & Baffle, Denso ITV22, TWM Stage 2, Dashhawk, JBR OCC, JBR TB TIG, SURE IM TIG, VTCS Delete, Ford Transit Oil Filter Conversion, Clean Valves!
LED tail lights, 20% tint, EVO X rims and VG Sharkfin
Big Turbo baby!
Soon to install CPE Exh. Mani
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page