Interested in buying Speed6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Interested in buying Speed6

I was on Autotrader searching for an affordable car with AWD and a manual transmission and it found a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 for $13,000. When I went to the dealer website they have it listed at $9000 which made me get even more excited. I'd been looking at a Mazda6, but was disappointed it didn't have AWD so I was pumped to find this thing and even more when I researched it a little. It looks like all I wanted and then some. But the price does make me a bit nervous. It only shows two pictures and I'm not a huge fan of the white color, but that's far from a deal breaker. It still looks really pretty.

I've read a ton of reviews, but I'd like to know from some actual owners what I can expect from this car. Should the lower price concern me or is this too good of a deal to pass up?

Here's the link Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 For Sale in Colorado Springs CO | JM1GG12L161103941 | Denver, Pueblo, Centennial & Castle Rock

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide!
RedChord14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Check out the noob thread, have the car inspected by a mechanic (compression test, check for leaking Transfer/diff/check for a VVT or chain rattle when car starts cold, let it idle for 10 minutes and see if turbo smokes, ect)

It is a great car, but as with any car, check it thoroughly
Svedka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like that one is in need of a new front bumper. I would check the carfax on it.

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Low price on this platform is usually a bad deal.

One thing to know about this platform is that it was discontinued quickly (well speed6 drivetrain, motor hasn't changed alot), its is a first time DISI motor of this kind for mazda, at least DISI MZR turbo.

We are just really learning the platform, albeit an unforgiving one.

If you buy a pile of shit it will blow up.

In short, be picky and dont buy the first one you see. Try to find one that had no obvious signs of modifications such as mounts, intake, BPV, exhaust, painted wheels. Anything that has signs of rice I would be a little more weary of.

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't like the white color? It's BEAUTIFUL!

Except for that front bumper...

2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT 09241 "Ducky" + Bolt-ons. Sold, but lives on with a new owner.

Check out the For Sale sections for my used Mazdaspeed 6 parts.
Dirk McGurck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Thanks for the replies! I know, that damn bumper is pretty depressing. I didn't notice it until a couple days ago, but now that I see it it really stands out. The Carfax was pretty clean and definitely didn't report that damage. I'm test driving it Saturday. I probably won't get that particular car, but hopefully I'll get a feel for whether or not I like the Speed6. There are a couple others in the area I might look at too. And even though I don't usually like white cars, I've really warmed up to it. I think I actually like them best in white.

I've also looked at a couple MS3s, though I'm not a huge fan of hatchbacks. Any thoughts on those?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Other than the failwheeldrive they are pretty much a speed6.

The AWD is pretty reliable so shouldn't be a deterrent. I see you live in Colorado so I would think that would be a benefit.

I advice you to check out the "read this before you purchase threads" to know what to look for, such as clutch pedal pulsations, smoking turbo, bad humming from diff, etc.

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Thanked 1,233 Times in 775 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

Affordable car with AWD and an MTX = A Subaru.

If you want real fun, you've got to pay to play. The Speed6 is a fairly high maintenance automobile. It can certainly liquidate your checking account. And sadly, with these cars aging to 6 years now, and seeign as alot on the preowned market are abused and weren't well cared for, you never know what you're going to get.

If you have the patience to make improvements to a somewhat temperamental vehicle, then you can have a great time with the car. It is fun and exclusive.

There's alot of good info between this forum and others. Spend some time researching so you know what to expect, and know what you're getting into.

2006 MS6 - Stock, SOLD and gone forever.
New ride - 2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A & Perf. Pkg.
Stage 4 Livernois Tuned

Last edited by IHeartGroceries; 11-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.
IHeartGroceries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm211 View Post
The AWD is pretty reliable so shouldn't be a deterrent. I see you live in Colorado so I would think that would be a benefit.
That was exactly my thoughts. I've been driving a shitty, rear wheel drive Chevy S10 for the last 6 years. That thing is a major liability anytime it snows. There are plenty of cheap Subarus in the area but this is something I'd enjoy quite a bit more. I found an 02 WRX with under 100,000 miles for $9000, so that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I've done some fairly extensive research since posting this thread, including all the noob threads, and I keep coming back to this as the car that would meet all my needs and be fun to own. The reliability is a concern to me since I can't really afford to sink a whole hell of a lot into repairing the thing. That's why I'm looking for something cheap to begin with.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I cross shopped a Legacy 2.5GT spec.B and a Speed6 GT. The Speed felt more secure, and a little more powerful, and it just felt better, so that's what I bought.

2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT 09241 "Ducky" + Bolt-ons. Sold, but lives on with a new owner.

Check out the For Sale sections for my used Mazdaspeed 6 parts.
Dirk McGurck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.