One less of rare of a rare breed on the road (at least with a clean title) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One less of rare of a rare breed on the road (at least with a clean title)

After 6+ years, I have to say good by to the MS6 and this awesome community. This was the car that initiated me to semi-serious modding, turbos and popped my engine tuning cherry. It's been fun to do all my own wrenching (with help of alot of good advice and how to's), learning what mods matter and which ones don't. I have to admit it engine tuning was one of the most rewarding (& nerve racking) things maybe because you know a screw up can mean a blow up but if done right, you get a engine that runs better than it did from the factory. And it's pretty damn gratifying seeing the surprised looks when someone underestimates that that "Mazda 6" can do.

I'll quit rambling now. As you might have guessed from the title, the car was declared total loss by the insurance company due to extensive undercarriage damage exceeding the value of car. Honestly, I don't know what the hell went wrong. After dropping my kid off at school, I was heading home and took corner that I've done million times before, powered out the turn and my back end broke completely loose. It's never done this before (even when I try) so I was surprised as hell and over corrected. I drove up, straddled and drove along a 9" concrete median/planter island. The body shop wrote up a long list of damages which included engine cradle, front bumper, ac condenser, 4 rims/tires, shocks blown, suspension forks, gas tank gashed and the list goes on.

This was a total fail on my part. I want to find some excuse or explanation (cold tires, debris road) but that pretty much pointless now. I'm grateful that the damage was limited to the car and curb and my insurance is actually taking car of me. They've offered me 17.5k and have said they'll give me consideration for my mods on the car if I can show receipts (suspension, mounts mainly).

Funny thing is that I got smogged a few months ago and have been too busy with work/kids to re-install the engine mods. So keep an eye out for a posting in the classified for a bunch of stuff - ETS TMIC, AP, Dashhawk, Fujita CAI, test pipe (generic), boost tubes, washer/gaskets for diff/MTX/TC, oil filters and hodge podge of stock parts. I'll try to get them posted in the next week or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to mick_estes For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (11-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

no mention on your ideas for your next car?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,048 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

Shit man that sucks ass. Glad nobody was hurt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
mick_estes (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Every time I hear how much someone gets on there speed through insurance it gets me thinking...

Sucks about the ride man, glad it was after you dropped your kid off and glad no one got hurt.

So - whats next?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Cobb AP, HKS SSQ BOV, PG Turbo Manifold, Koni Adjustable Shocks, H&R Springs, Magnaflow CBE, test pipe, Denso Iridium Plugs, ETS TMIC, Cobb TI, CP-E CAI, Greddy OCC, AWR Passenger Engine Mount, AWR Transmission Mount, AWR Rear Engine Mount, TT Front Engine Mount, TT Rear Differential forward Mount, SPC Adjustable Ball Joints, Tint, Private NETZ 18x8, VentusEVOv12's

Help me reunite with my kids.
TimEngland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TimEngland For This Useful Post:
mick_estes (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry about your speed man
R.I.P.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
elemento_74 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to elemento_74 For This Useful Post:
mick_estes (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,911 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Sweeeeet, Mine's worth $10 more now!

...er......., wait.......,

I mean, sorry for your loss & glad nobody was hurt! It's always lame when a well known & understood corner just up & bites ya like that!

FWIW, getting 17.5K out of it, it's likely the best thing that could have happened. Doubtful you could get half that much for trade-in value, so you scored pretty damn well
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Jjkalai (11-13-2012), mick_estes (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post

FWIW, getting 17.5K out of it, it's likely the best thing that could have happened. Doubtful you could get half that much for trade-in value, so you scored pretty damn well
Completely agree... that's a lot of coin for the car based on what I got for trade in and based on book values. Sorry for the loss, but sounds like all things considered, you'll make out just fine and no one got hurt.

Any thoughts on a new ride?
stive403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 3

Wow. That's crazy. 17.5 is pretty awesome. I would love that Dashawk hopefully I'm on the ball. Good luck with the next one and glad the kids weren't in it.
2006-Speed 6-GT-Black Mica #00921
Sure rmm|Sure jugg|Sure dread|Sure Aero|Sure sidewinder|Sure anchors|su interior brace|Cobb ap|itv-22(.25)|Sure shortcut|Sure countershift|Shark fin|Corksport LED kit|JBR EGR delete|Plast dip rear+Front emblem| Prosport boost gauge Blockhead pod|Paper clip clutch bypass|Autotech hpfp|SM occ|ptp injector seals and studs|Sure I.M. + T.B. tig|vht side marker +rear reflector|SPC ball joints|corksport tmic
Next:Sure S6 and test pipe then brakes then suspension
micneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was a bit surprised by what they offered too which was better than I was expecting so I'm not asking too many questions and just counting myself lucky :-)

As for what's next, still doing my research. The MS6 was such a happy marriage my eyes never wandered so I wasn't prepared to be dating again so soon. I'm torn between what I want and what I can afford. Just picked up a fat car payment for the wifey's mini-van so not thrilled about idea of another big car payment but the new G37S looks awfully good. My company has some partnership with Nissan/Infiniti so can buy at invoice and mfg is offering nice rebates & financing.

A less expensive alternative would be to pick up a used G37 or 335i. Both gets me the MTX, RWD, power to weight that's better than my MS6 and overall car size (no bigger than MS6) which are my priorities. 335i is nice cause Cobb's got an AP for it and I've been seeing these in the $20k range with 70-80k miles so looking seriously at that. Hard to find used G37's with MTX in my area right now.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

May be interested in the ap but isn't it a pain to unmarry those things?

Sent from my dial up phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.