Dilemma With COBB AP - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dilemma With COBB AP

Hey Guys,

I just received my COBB AP in the mail and have been looking through the documentation to figure out how to best approach the installation.

From what i gather, the previous installation of the AP (by previous owner) exists but will be overwritten and forever lost when I install the new one. I'm just particularly concerned that the current map is custom and not a COBB OTS map; if I lose it, i won't be able to go back in case things don't go as planned with a new map.

Just wondering if there was a way around this? Or if anybody is able to collect information from the existing map without applying a new one/installing the new AP.

Thanks,
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Thanked 1,132 Times in 801 Posts
Groans: 18
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts

The AP will save the map that is currently on the car to the AP, so when you completely uninstall the AP it will go back to the original map on the car (usually stock map, but in your case, the map of the previous owner).

SOLD: 2006 BCM MS6 GT #00584
CP-E 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust. CP-E TMIC. HTP 3" TIP. Custom 3.5" MAF SRI. SU RMM. SU TP. Forge V1 BPV. Cobb AP. RichTuned. Denso ITV22. PTP HPFP Internals. STi S204 Lip. Megan Racing Springs. XXR 530 18x8.75 +33. VEI Boost Gauge with Block8head pod. Blox Shift Knob.

SOLD: 2009 Mazda 6i GT.

6Y MAZDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Y MAZDA View Post
The AP will save the map that is currently on the car to the AP, so when you completely uninstall the AP it will go back to the original map on the car (usually stock map, but in your case, the map of the previous owner).
I was under the impression that this was true and would work...but then I read this in the user manual (Pg.11):

Quote:
WARNING!
If a previous installation of an AccessPORT is detected, you will be given the
option to overwrite it with a new installation. Be aware that the previous
installation will be permanently lost and unrecoverable. This detection may occur
prior to saving the stock ECU program data, in which case the ECU program data
will not be saved. In the case of a previous install, a stock ECU program supplied
on the AccessPORT will be used when you uninstall.
Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

IF you install your new AP and it detects a previous AP it will overwrite all previous information forever without the ability to recover it. If it detects it you will loose it, even if you try to save it.

When you sell your car and uninstall the AP, the AP will use a stock map stored in itself and apply it to the car so you don't run around without ECU instructions.

That's what I read.

In short. Install it and when you are done with the car the AP will reinstall stock settings because it will know that there are none on the car once you remove the AP forever.

or call cobb.

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jm211 For This Useful Post:
oh_yeams6 (11-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.