It's been a good 6 years - but time to move on - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default It's been a good 6 years - but time to move on

Well it's finally time. I've played around with the idea of moving on for the last couple of years but couldn't pull the trigger. I've loved my 2006 speed6 and it has never really treated me wrong. I had intake, exhaust, test pipe, short throw, and cobb stage 2. It got up and moved very well and I loved the all wheel drive.

However, I've had it for 6 years, and had the itch for a while for something new and potentially a bit more grown up/up scale. I had looked at the 335, g37, ATS, wrx, etc... Really wanted around 300 horse, 6-spd manual, some luxury, and preferably all wheel or rear wheel drive. wrx was too low rent, but a hoot. g37 (in the sedan version) doesn't do a lot for me stylistically, is due for a refresh, and I see too many. 335 was too pricey, too unreliable, and you see to many of them. ATS is what I really thought I was going to be driving, but it was a bit too small and was pricey by the time I optioned it to how I would really like.

Up until a week or two ago I had not even had this car on my radar at all in my search for a new vehicle until I was reading the Cadillac ATS forum and a member was looking for insight in the ATS vs. Buick Regal GS decision. I started looking into the vehicle, went to test drive a new one locally, and was very impressed. Sharp vehicle, very comfortable, handled quite well for a front driver, etc... I went to check on the used market before making a deal on the new one and found a used 2012 with ~6,000 miles for a substantial discount off msrp and drove down to look at that one. That evening my mazda was traded in and I was driving home in a White Diamond Tricoat 2012 Buick Regal GS.

These vehicles are actually pretty similar in their rarity and in how little people know about them. It's got a 2.0L turbo charged engine putting out 270 hp and 295 ft-lbs of torque mounted to a 6-spd manual. It's fully loaded, nav, xm, bluetooth, heated seats, moon roof, etc... Electronically adjustable suspension settings as well and very well bolstered seats.

So on to the pictures. Attached is a picture of my Mazdaspeed6 before trading her in and the new GS the day after I brought her home. I'll have to post up a few more later, but it won't be much different than pics you can find from google. I LOVE the rims on this car and I think the paint is stunning as well. The stereo system crushes what is in the speed6 as it comes with a 9 speaker harmon kardon system.

I never thought I'd be driving a buick, but I am very impressed with this ride. Still getting acquainted with the new ride, but so far I really enjoy it. Feels more put together as a total package than the Mazda. Not as fast as the mazda and doesn't have the same driving dynamics afforded by the all wheel drive of the mazda, but I am very impressed with the way it drives for a front driver. While definitely not as quick from a dig, it feels plenty powerful from a roll.

I've yet to see the mileage, but it looks like through the city I am not getting the mileage I got out of the mazda, but on the highway I'm getting better mileage. Time will tell on that front.

I'll still probably creep this forum for a while, but have moved on for now. Hopefully the Buick treats me as well as the speed6 had. I'll always have a soft spot for her.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
It's been a good 6 years - but time to move on-imag0944-1-1-1.jpg   It's been a good 6 years - but time to move on-imag0950-2.jpg  
stive403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to stive403 For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (05-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

very nice sir. the wheels on that buick are sex
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Groans: 2

Congrats man, always a sad story to hear someone falling out of love with a mazda but that is one gorgeous ride. Absolutely love the wheels and all-in-all it's a very good looking car. It's a bit "old-man-status" for my personal liking but I'm sure with some subtle modifications it'll be a little more pleasing to a younger generation. Make sure to stick around and keep us updated if you do anything to her. Once a Mazda enthusiast, Always a welcomed member of the community. Best of luck with your new ride man.
OEM Spoiler with LED 3rd brakelight
Many more to come
JFisher100191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks guys. If a new mazdaspeed6 was available, I would have stuck around as from what I've seen from the 2014 body style it will look sharp, but my speed6 was getting to the point where it was going to need a fair amount of TLC (a/c was out, rust on the hood and both rear quarters, etc...) and I wasn't prepared to stick the money into something when I was ready to move on. I've never kept a car as long as the speed6 and that speaks well about what mazda did with that vehicle. It was bittersweet letting her go.

I should be getting tint done this week, but other than that, I don't plan on doing too much to the Regal. Some of the things I did to the mazda I really enjoyed (reprogramming and short shifter). But some with the intake, exhaust, test pipe, it was bordering on being too loud for what I'm looking for at this point. I think I like how the Regal get's up and goes without all the audible drama. I realize the nameplate brings with it some "old-man-status", but this car is basically an Opel Insignia, which is a tuner car in Europe and if you took the Buick badges off, I think the status would disappear. Typically when I'm showing people the new ride, I'll send them a side profile only, then let them try to figure out what it is. Buick is not something people guess.

Anyway, I've always appreciated the forum, and I'm sure I'll be around from time to time yet.
stive403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've been wanting a Regal really badly lately. I love those things. I think they've done a great job of taking the old man out of that car.
xkreedx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Thanked 3,001 Times in 1,948 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Should be quite fun- the reviews have all been very kind to the RGS. I'd not heard of it until I<3Groceries pointed it out in one of our "what would you get" conversations that happen randomly. Both C&D and R&T think very highly of it.

Enjoy, and I hope she treats you well!

Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop

HTP 3.5"; BNRs3v1; MAC EBCS; CXR fmic; 3 BAR; GFB Respons; VTCS Delete; JBR TIG;
XS Power ExMani; M2 DP; Custom Magnaflow exhaust; Luk Clutch & Fidanza FW;
KMD; CPE SafeSeals; MD OCC; K2 & JBR EGR Delete;

Bilstein & Mazdaspeed springs; SPC's; WL RSB; Steeda F&R Adj End Links;
CPe xFlex RMM; Corksport TMM Inserts; Dread & Jugg diff mounts; EBC Yellow's &
Carbotech XP08's; Racing Brake SS brake & clutch lines

Dynojet SAE corrected 420/395
TiGraySpeed6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Its odd to see a manual buick. i always figured they were more luxury then sporty. fantastic looking car. i love the color and the wheels! =D

Cosmetic:Interior/Exterior LED swap, Chrome Dipped turn signals, Apexcone 35w 8000k HID, OEM LED Tailight swap, 3M vinyl black roof, Plastidipped front and rear trim, 5w Cree reverse bulbs

Power:Corksport SRI, Custom Mazdaspeed Exhaust

Suspension: 1st gen Mazda 6 sport springs by Mazdaspeed ( thanks flipper66)

Dealer Accessories: OEM All-Weather mats, OEM Sun Shade,

Contests: ROTM with SFLA Mazda Crew, ROTM with JRP Racing
xxGen2Mazda6xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thats because its an Opel Insignia, not a true Buick. Good looking car, and the interior looks really nice in the pix. In reallity, if it had awd, it would be on my short list.
-a
'91 Mustang GT Vert - handling mods.
'91 TII Swap - RIP.
sunshineFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Thanked 3,001 Times in 1,948 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Mind sharing what you paid for the RGS?
Also kind of curious what you got for the Speed as well- trade in pricing has been really low on the Speeds for the last year or so...

Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop

HTP 3.5"; BNRs3v1; MAC EBCS; CXR fmic; 3 BAR; GFB Respons; VTCS Delete; JBR TIG;
XS Power ExMani; M2 DP; Custom Magnaflow exhaust; Luk Clutch & Fidanza FW;
KMD; CPE SafeSeals; MD OCC; K2 & JBR EGR Delete;

Bilstein & Mazdaspeed springs; SPC's; WL RSB; Steeda F&R Adj End Links;
CPe xFlex RMM; Corksport TMM Inserts; Dread & Jugg diff mounts; EBC Yellow's &
Carbotech XP08's; Racing Brake SS brake & clutch lines

Dynojet SAE corrected 420/395
TiGraySpeed6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

<---- big turbo buick guy. Family has had 4 Grand Nations and a GNX, as well as a fully built GNX drag car.

Look forward to hearing back how you like it. Maybe the next thing we pick up to daily.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.