The rear spare tire and jack... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

I know that our awd system is very sensitive to varying wheel and tire sizes, so my question is, is it worth having the spare and jack on the car?. I want to get rid of it, well not rid of it, but just remove it for now. We all had a discussion of making the speed lighter and I think this will help a lot.

Some of you are going to say, yes we do it need it just to make it to the next gas station or whatever. But I think ill take the risk of driving my flat tire there instead of stopping and replacing the wheel with the spare and putting it back again. To me its basically the same situation. Well what do you guys think?...
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
djmarkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

not sure how you feel about your rims, but i can assure you they will hate you if you drive more than a mile or so on a flat. so now you will be potentially replacing a tire and wheel?

now, you CAN replace the jack and spare with a bottle of fix-a-flat, but keep in mind you are ensuring that you will not be repairing that tire, only replacing it. then comes then, well, can i replace just one, or do i have to replace 2 now....when it could have potentially just been repaired.

many things to think about, and is the added 50lbs from the jack/spare that detrimental to daily driving? just remove it for track days and canyon runs if you want, but why for a commute?
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts

Keep in mind we have AWD, so its not even just 2, but potentially 4.

A couple mods.
smoker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 3

i was thinking the same thing until i caught an 8" metal file in my rear pass. tire, in LA no less. i would have been screwed waiting for a tow truck. and then i would most likely pay extra out of pocket because my car is too low...

2007 w/ Cheez

// COBB AP // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
bmorrisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,909 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'm all for saving weight, but it's kinda nice to have some extra weight in the back to help balance it out
you know, kinda like how people like to move the battery to the trunk...

Although, I suppose if your just going in a short straight lines then it's better out...

I do prefer turns to drag strips tho...
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

if you are mostly a city commuter like I am, you won't need it for the most part. I dont travel out of the city most of the time and the maximum distance I drive within it is about 15 miles in one-way directions. Lots of places to stop and call a bud or family member to come out and take me back to my apartment, get my spare and come back to put it on.

When i have to drive long distances for work or just vacationing, I'll put it back in. It doesn't weigh a ton and not that hard to put back in.

Of course if you live in more rural/suburban areas it'd be a little riskier due to 20+ mile drives.

lol.

p057 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I learned this the hard way. Keep it in the car !!. My tire blew out and I needed to be towed. It sucked and is not worth saving a 50 pounds.

Cobb SRI-->Speedie6 inlet
CPE-Catted Downpipe, Magnaflow exhaust, PG mani
AcessPort, Wot box
Forge BPV (FS), boost gauge in vent
catch can, egr delete, PTP gasket and PNP intake mani
SPC Ball Joints, SU motor mount, TT front engine mount, TT front Diff mount, CPE rear diff mount
Baseballd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for all the great responses, and I think Mr.Tea has a great point. I just wanted to throw it out there and see what others think. I did remove it one time when I took her to the track and the car felt great. And the others also had a great point too.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
djmarkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personnel preference I say.

Remove the wheel, remove the weight, and then plan to wait. (for a tow I mean)

Leave it in, keep the weight, and then there's no wait.

However I've notice you're not running the standard 215/45 18, so yeah putting that spare on you stand the risk of damaging something, whether you drive 10ft or 10 miles. If somethings going to give it's going to give. Are you willing to take the risk???

Me, I don't run the stock tire either. I got Free Roadside assistance through my insurance company, flat tire doesn't mean I can't run the AC or Heat if I'm stuck some where. But I also keep my spare in just in case I get stuck in BFE and it's a last resort. It's gonna take alot more then a missing spare tire for me to tell any difference in gain.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

i'm one of those guys that's never late, 15-20min early everywhere including work every day. i refuse to have a flat make me late for anything, expecially when i can change one in under 5 min. those of you who are fine with a tow must never have anything important waiting for you. imagine a call that your mom/gf/friend was in an accident and you need to get to the hospital...you get a flat and now you have to wait for a tow? imagine taking your wife when she's ready to pop...yeah, hold it in honey, we're gonna have to just wait for the tow.

again, i live driving agressive as much as the next guy, but i plan for those times accordingly.
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.