Mazda 6 Forums banner

DIY: 3.5mm stereo to Bose System

605K views 595 replies 228 participants last post by  Mate97 
#1 ·
Alright so I bought the Audiolink for my iPhone 3G and it was working fine until after a week, it stopped charging so I returned it. I was going to get the DICE but then I found a way to make the same thing with just ~$20 and here is how:

First you need to go to RadioShack and buy a 3.5mm stereo connector. Looks like this:

Part number and Description on the RadioShack bag: 3-Conductor Stereo 1/8" 3.5mm Phone Jack PN:274-0249

You also need a soldering gun, flux, soldering wire, also i used those OOOOOOOLD audio cables that hook up to CD roms that nobody uses anymore, they fit perfect and the connectors are perfect size. Get a couple of them
Also a Drill to drill the hole and very useful in my case a Dremmel (you'll see why later)

So Remove the stereo (go here to learn how to do it How to change HVAC lights)

Now, you can use any color wire you want, as you will see later I used red twice because I didn't have any other color..., Here is where your CD-rom audio cable comes in handy:

Look at the back of the stereo, you will see the connector for the aux port used by Sirius, Dice, Audiolink. **BTW you cannot do this if you have sirius or XM installed**

You will see the pins are numbered.

What you need to do is hook up pins 1 and 13 to each other. 1 is Ground and 13 is the AUX pin. It enables the MEDIA button on the stereo.
On the 1 and 13 connector. I used a D-SUB connector from radioshack, it comes with the connector and the pins, just use the pins, you have to crimp them, use a pair of pliers.

3 goes to the R on the 3.5 connector, 5 goes to the L pin and 7 goes to the Signal Pin. It's labeled on the first pic.

so it looks like this:

That's 1 and 13, then using the CD Audio cable plug it to 3,5 and 7.

I took the pic before I move the pins to get them together btw. so put them together on one side and plug it in. Since 9 is not used it takes the empty socket on the CD Audio connector.

On the other side of that connector, use a soldering gun and solder the ends with the respective wires.

Then what I did is I wanted to place it somewhere so i picked a hole next to the cigarette plug. I used a 1/4 drill bit and drilled away. Now here is where the dremmel comes in handy:

As you can see I had to shave some of it down because the plug would not go all the way, just shave it enough so you can screw it on the other side with the ring that comes with it.

Once it's in place it looks like this:

At this point wait until you plug the stereo side, just plug 1 and 13 and then once everything is in the car route the wire from the 3.5mm socket to the back of the stereo and then plug it in. **NOTE: you may need to extend the wire. Mine was juuuuuuust long enough so if you have 2 CD Audio cables you can cut part of the other one and mate them so it's longer**

Once it's connected test it before you put everything together. turn the Radio ON :slap: then press MEDIA. AUX should come up on the screen, then plug the 3.5mm cable to the socket and the other side to your media player (MP3, iPod,, iPhone, Zune etc) and you should be able to hear it!

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
you are my new hero!

thanks for the write up, i now have some work to do

#4 ·
thank you. bookmarked for a rainy day project! any idea where you can get those "CD Rom audio cables"? I haz none. :(

#9 ·
question: would you lose some sort of sound quality since the 3.5 jack on your ipod is built to output for a 2 speaker headset anyway...so wouldnt it realy be better for the audiolink version since it ouputs trhough the usb connection in the bottom so itw ould be raw in a sense?

#13 ·
That's way cleaner than my cable sticking out of my glovebox with the audiolink in it. What a bargain too. Well done!

#15 ·
QUOTE (yellowmp5 @ Apr 5 2009, 09:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1543119
i'm curious if you can use your steering wheel to control volumn up/down and skip songs......[/b]
No this method will only give you audio, you will have to use your iPod to control the songs. As for volume up/down, you will want to set u'r ipod to the level that sounds the best and then use your controls on the steering wheel to control the volume on the HU.

#17 ·
usualllly the sound would be at best at about 50% to 75% on you ipod volume control setting for your car....just go to volume lock, the use you HU to amplify the sound

QUOTE (yellowmp5 @ Apr 5 2009, 06:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1543119
i'm curious if you can use your steering wheel to control volumn up/down and skip songs......[/b]
usualllly the sound would be at best at about 50% to 75% on you ipod volume control setting for your car....just go to volume lock, then use you HU to amplify the sound

for you all out there, any cable needs such as audio or hdmi , go to monoprice.com really good website and super cheap

QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 4 2009, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1543008
I would image you would lose some quality but I can't tell a difference to tell you the truth... Songs are not in surround sound, they are stereo and you are getting stereo sound through the 3.5mm plug.

Again, i can't tell a difference, or a difference that would make me want to spend extra $100[/b]

#18 ·
Intrestingg.... This is a great write up, so i can finally listen to my ipod without that shitty wireless thing.

Good Job

Now i just need to figure out how to uninstall the factory headunit

#20 ·
QUOTE (cm-jp1 @ Apr 5 2009, 04:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1543269
Intrestingg.... This is a great write up, so i can finally listen to my ipod without that shitty wireless thing.

Good Job

Now i just need to figure out how to uninstall the factory headunit[/b]

shouldnt it be the same taking it out like the hvac write up thats also up in the theread

#21 ·
NP guys, I just looked at the wiring diagram from the shop manual, it tells you what each pin is for.

How to remove it is on the link I posted at the beginning, I just didn't want to redo the whole thing again...lol

Yes, the volume works with the steering wheel but nothing else, you want to set the volume at 75% on the ipod and you are good, after that you control the volume with the steering wheel. There are places that sell the mounting brackets that would give you easy access for the ipod right next to the stereo.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Nice work OP... did the mod, and it works great.. I guess I will have to go back in and install a quick disconnect connector, just in case I need to pull it apart in the future.

#26 ·
does anyone know what the other connector on the back of the HU does? i have sirius now and im wondering how i can use both at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.