Bent rim and new tire... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

On the way to work yesterday a slab of wood that looked like a fence post came out from under the car just ahead of me and I had no time or choice but to roll over it. Well I rolled over it at 60 mph and it bent the interior edge of my rim in and caused my tire to go flat nearly immediately. I had 5/32" tread depth left and had to get a new tire. I run the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and so they come new with 11/32".

The question is, does having one tire with more tread pose a problem or risk of damage to our AWD system? I have driven around and so far no lights or apparent problems.

Also, this is a more serious question, I called an alloy wheel repair service and they were able to fix the bend in the rim. He said that sometimes they crack when they straighten them and when he saw mine, he gave it about an 80% chance of cracking. It didn't and said it straightened perfectly. It appears to roll smoothly BUT is there a risk of metal fracture or fatigue that we can't see that could cause the wheel to explode/come apart at high speeds? Remember this is the interior edge of the rim. Just wondering if that's a cause for concern even though all seems well. Thanks!
P3 BUILT Engine w/BSD, Spec 2+ Clutch, BNR Stage 3 turbo, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS Twin-Power Ignition, HPFpump w/KMD internals, Saikou Catch Can, Driver's Wheel Well Vent Cover, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors. Cobb Accessport tuned at 24 psi w/3 Bar MAP
CP-E: Rear Mount, DeltaCore FMIC, Downpipe, SafeSeal Injector seals VentPod w/VEI boost guage, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, JBR 3.5" Full Intake, VCTS Delete, Redline Synthetic Gear Lubes, Battery Relocated to Trunk
mczimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

QUOTE (MattOKC @ Dec 30 2008, 10:38 AM)
Quote:
On the way to work yesterday a slab of wood that looked like a fence post came out from under the car just ahead of me and I had no time or choice but to roll over it. Well I rolled over it at 60 mph and it bent the interior edge of my rim in and caused my tire to go flat nearly immediately. I had 5/32" tread depth left and had to get a new tire. I run the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and so they come new with 11/32".

The question is, does having one tire with more tread pose a problem or risk of damage to our AWD system? I have driven around and so far no lights or apparent problems.

Also, this is a more serious question, I called an alloy wheel repair service and they were able to fix the bend in the rim. He said that sometimes they crack when they straighten them and when he saw mine, he gave it about an 80% chance of cracking. It didn't and said it straightened perfectly. It appears to roll smoothly BUT is there a risk of metal fracture or fatigue that we can't see that could cause the wheel to explode/come apart at high speeds? Remember this is the interior edge of the rim. Just wondering if that's a cause for concern even though all seems well. Thanks![/b]

Well, the difference in tread is going to put a bit more stress on your LSD, and your center diff may engage more often, as the ecu will see a bigger difference between front and back than before (assuming all of your other tires are worn equally.) But I have no idea if this is anything to be concerned about.

The bent rim is almost guaranteed to be weaker in the spot that was bent. I highly doubt it would come apart at high speeds though. It would probably be bent again more easily than before if something were to hit that spot, but how likely is that?

Mods: NONE! - back to stock :-/
holmstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superskaterxes

you def shouldent ride around with 1 tire with 100% thread and one with 50%. maby 80/100 but thats too big of a gap. its gona throw off your ish. just buy another tire and sell the one u have with 50% tread life.

as far as the rim goes, ive bent a few rims but they were all too extreme to be fixed. because its on the inside edge i would keep a very close eye on it as u cant just walk around the car to check on it daily.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
GT3076R ~ TXS BOV ~ Custom 3" MAF SRI w/ giant AEM filter ~ AP ~ FMIC ~ CPE DP ~ DNP Mani w/Tial 38mm MV-S EWG VTA'd~ CPE BT TIP ~ TWM Stage 1 ~ CPE RMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ BC CO's slammed ~ SPC BJ's ~ EBC Red's ~ Stoptech's ~ Technafit SS Lines ~ Autometer Boost & STRI EGT ~ 20% Tint ~ LED Tails ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ Xtra Shorty Antenna ~ Dashhawk ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ Whiteline RSB ~ PnP'd IM ~ CDFP Internals ~ labonte meth kit
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Where the anal itching parasites are, also known as Draper, Utah. Or is it Ohio? I can never remember.
Send a message via AIM to Turbo6Girl

I've bent rims before, had them repaired and they did fine up until I hit another pothole. A previously bent rim will be weaker in holding up to damage, if you hit a pothole, curb, etc. just know that you may bend it beyond repair or rip the lip. See this link for example.

I definitely would not use a tire that has more tread by a significant amount. Either hit up a used tire place to see if they have the same tire with similar wear or buy 3 more matching tires.

2005 Velocity Red Mica Mazda3S
AEM CAI, RB Front Sway, RB Endlinks, Sport Edition F10s

1993 Probe GTHawk HPS pads, Exedy clutch, Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, SRI, STS, NGK plugs/wires, Redline fluids, tint.

2006 Black Mica MS6 Sport, 65K miles and one hell of a love/hate relationship. She will be missed.
Turbo6Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to truth kid Send a message via MSN to truth kid Send a message via Yahoo to truth kid

Yeah as he ^^ said I would invest in another tire to put on the other side to keep the car riding even. No need to have unneeded wear on suspension components because of two different size tires due to tread. How bad would the wear be? I'm no expert but some risks aren't worth it. Tires are all that keeps your car on the road, so they are one of the most important components to maintain. On the same note, if the wheel is damaged to a point where its structural integrity is at question, I'd either repair or replace that as well. Sucks spending money on shit that breaks out of pure bad luck, but the safety of you and others is much more important then possibly riding around on a time bomb.
truth kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Our drivetrain is really that sensitive?...
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
djmarkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

QUOTE (Turbo6Girl @ Dec 30 2008, 12:45 PM)
Quote:
I definitely would not use a tire that has more tread by a significant amount. Either hit up a used tire place to see if they have the same tire with similar wear or buy 3 more matching tires.[/b]
Some tire vendors offer a service to shave a new tire to match the other 3. Just another option to consider.

"AWD Driving: This vehicle has not been designed for the purpose of off-road driving or rallies. Do not attempt to drive over uneven or rocky surfaces, or across rivers."
jd42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kiseliok

I've had an issue with running tires that were worn differently... over 100mph ecu decided that something was going terribly wrong and I didn't need my 4wd, abs, or dcs any more ... yea... once I got a new set of tires - it was fine, pushed her much faster and nothing happened.

before someone starts jumping on my nuts for the tire ware ... I wore my front ones pretty badly after a few track days - that's why they had different wear on them, not because I bought them that way. One thing I learned - don't cheap out on tires.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Where the anal itching parasites are, also known as Draper, Utah. Or is it Ohio? I can never remember.
Send a message via AIM to Turbo6Girl

Just put the new tire on a Honda, ask him to do some good one tire fires and it will be worn down in no time.

2005 Velocity Red Mica Mazda3S
AEM CAI, RB Front Sway, RB Endlinks, Sport Edition F10s

1993 Probe GTHawk HPS pads, Exedy clutch, Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, SRI, STS, NGK plugs/wires, Redline fluids, tint.

2006 Black Mica MS6 Sport, 65K miles and one hell of a love/hate relationship. She will be missed.
Turbo6Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kiseliok

I can wear it off for you on my Yota! 1 wheel drive FTW!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.