New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for Mazda6club.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join Mazda6club.com , they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "Mazda6club.com Legacy" or "Mazda6club.com Legacy 2"

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Zoom Zoom, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your Mazda6club.com Team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,788 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Looks nice and clean, but I must be a nit-picker and say the few things I've noticed so far. Not major things, just observations

- Is that a Mazda 3 on the banner?

- Holy bright! I like a nice clean layout as much as the next person, but with all the white everywhere it's a bit overwhelming. I can't imagine people who prefer the old dark layout ever enjoying this.

- Images resize to your browser width, or to their full size. While this is okay, it doesn't seem as clean or well-organized as the old system which automatically resized the images if they were over a certain size. This was nice because you'd never see an image over a certain limit unless you really wanted to.

- Will we be able to continue posting 6 Of the Month on the front page? Seems that it's been taken down, but I think it was very nice having people's rides proclaimed to the whole world.

- The quick reply box is a bit bigger than it used to be. Nothing too big of a deal, but it takes up more space than it used to and doesn't fit as cleanly.

- The new Forums drop down menu is definitely an improvement over the old. Is there any way we can get the sub-categories in there like "1st Gen" "2nd Gen" and "3rd Gen" since those are some of our more popular sections?

Anyways, those are just some quick things I noticed. Other than that I like that we're updating everything, it looks nice overall.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Looks nice and clean, but I must be a nit-picker and say the few things I've noticed so far. Not major things, just observations

- Is that a Mazda 3 on the banner?

- Holy bright! I like a nice clean layout as much as the next person, but with all the white everywhere it's a bit overwhelming. I can't imagine people who prefer the old dark layout ever enjoying this.

- Images resize to your browser width, or to their full size. While this is okay, it doesn't seem as clean or well-organized as the old system which automatically resized the images if they were over a certain size. This was nice because you'd never see an image over a certain limit unless you really wanted to.

- Will we be able to continue posting 6 Of the Month on the front page? Seems that it's been taken down, but I think it was very nice having people's rides proclaimed to the whole world.

- The quick reply box is a bit bigger than it used to be. Nothing too big of a deal, but it takes up more space than it used to and doesn't fit as cleanly.

- The new Forums drop down menu is definitely an improvement over the old. Is there any way we can get the sub-categories in there like "1st Gen" "2nd Gen" and "3rd Gen" since those are some of our more popular sections?

Anyways, those are just some quick things I noticed. Other than that I like that we're updating everything, it looks nice overall.
- If it is let me know and I will have it fixed ASAP.

- They can still revert to the old Legacy view in dark if wanted.

- We can work on the image resizing as feedback comes in.

- Yeah that can still happen, I will have the setting change to direct 6 of the Month section winner to homepage or you can post the ROTM winner here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/221-frontpage-news/

- I will take a look at it.

- Let me see how much spacing we have to fit them in.

Thanks for the feedback, the process might take a week or so to iron everything out.

Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to AG Jeff For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (11-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Jeff View Post
- If it is let me know and I will have it fixed ASAP.

- They can still revert to the old Legacy view in dark if wanted.

- We can work on the image resizing as feedback comes in.

- Yeah that can still happen, I will have the setting change to direct 6 of the Month section winner to homepage or you can post the ROTM winner here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/221-frontpage-news/

- I will take a look at it.

- Let me see how much spacing we have to fit them in.

Thanks for the feedback, the process might take a week or so to iron everything out.

Jeff
Take your time, was just throwing a few things out as I noticed them

Edit: Oh and I couple more things to mention:

- No options available in userCP for the Garage (yet). Assuming you're still working on it but wanted to mention it.

- I've got a few other people agreeing with me that it's the rear end of a 3 in the top right next to that 2nd gen - 6's don't have the plate in the lower bumper, but rather on the trunk itself.

- In the Gallery, the only way to view an image in full-size is if you right-click and open it in a new window or tab.

- The "Get premium" link shows up even if you have a membership like I do.

- It is fairly difficult to differentiate which symbols for the threads mean what.

For example, it's difficult to see what means what. The little symbols next to the "Letters" or mail envelopes are so small it's tough to tell which one is which at a quick glance.
AG Jeff likes this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.

Last edited by Byakuya; 11-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Also, I'd be happy to photoshop something together for that top right image. Have to make sure we give the gen1 some love because that's the 6 that started it all
voldsom and Nprguymc like this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Also, I'd be happy to photoshop something together for that top right image. Have to make sure we give the gen1 some love because that's the 6 that started it all
Cool, yeah if you got some time and images that would work I can send to creative to see if they can insert them.

I will PM you my email addie.

I think we are still waiting on a few touches to go live.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com
The Following User Says Thank You to AG Jeff For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (11-18-2014)
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Ok, we are now live

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Some comments:
* I can't access the link above to create a garage. I mean it takes me to a page that says I don't have permissions to view that page.
* I can't find a link to create a garage from you CP where everyone would think it would be. A garage sounds like a greate idea but if people don't know how to create them it won't work very well.
* Also garages should be organized by generation right up front.
* I can't tell if a forum or thread has new posts in it now. the Icon used to have a yellow portion when there were new posts within a forum or thread.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Jeff View Post
Cool, yeah if you got some time and images that would work I can send to creative to see if they can insert them.

I will PM you my email addie.

I think we are still waiting on a few touches to go live.

Jeff
Awesome, thanks! I'll get working on something good and send it your way

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
It seems this feature still does not work (not that anyone else cared about it):

"Today's Posts" difference from other pages

Maybe it is possible now.

Thanks

(no more vBulletin® ? Just curious.)

Otherwise, looks great to me so far. Thank you from Chicago.

Don

Officially Something ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page