I'm yet to find out which ports would drain the battery - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
I'm yet to find out which ports would drain the battery

I asked this question before and got conflicting answers from so called "experts" on here.

The mazda has THREE ports

- The cigarette socket below the radio
- a socket with a battery sign in the center console
- a usb port in center console

I'm yet to find on this forum, which one of the three only works when the car is on and will NOT drain the battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Lighter socket underneath radio only comes on when car is on.. The cig socket in center console is always on to power something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
My car has Four ports, all in the arm rest.

1ea. Cig Lighter - always on
2ea. USB ports - only on with ignition - which is a bit disappointing.
1ea. Aux port - assuming it's off, I don't have anything that that uses that style of plug/adaptor. Device's using this type of connection are practically obsolete.

One of my "mods" I hope to be able to do is figure out how to power up at least one of the USB ports. Most likely see if I can take it from the Cig lighter as it's right next to them. That or try and come up with a schematic showing where they power from and perhaps jump it at the fuse box. Time to get the manual out first I guess and see if they are showing fuse locations.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut

Last edited by idrive; 06-21-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is this a difficult thing to figure out? Turn the car off and see which charges. I figured out on my car which one has constant power within the 1st 5 minutes of ownership.

I'm not sure of your "conflicting" information.

This post is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
My car has Four ports, all in the arm rest.

1ea. Cig Lighter - always on
2ea. USB ports - only on with ignition - which is a bit disappointing.
1ea. Aux port - assuming it's off, I don't have anything that that uses that style of plug/adaptor. Device's using this type of connection are practically obsolete.

One of my "mods" I hope to be able to do is figure out how to power up at least one of the USB ports. Most likely see if I can take it from the Cig lighter as it's right next to them. That or try and come up with a schematic showing where they power from and perhaps jump it at the fuse box. Time to get the manual out first I guess and see if they are showing fuse locations.
The USB port is actually off the radio, and unfortunately the connector on the back of it is a custom one, which is insufferably stupid as there's no available interchange connector for an aftermarket head unit (which in the '14s and '15s was certainly something you could do, and I did!)

So I lost my USB port (despite having an open one on the back of the radio) when I changed the head unit out. Oh well. Note that continually-powered voltage-converted things (e.g. a USB port) is hazardous to your battery; the parasitic current drain is likely to be quite material (a couple hundred milliamps works out to ~5Ah/day!) and while it won't get you if you drive the car every day or two parking it for a couple of weeks (e.g. when on vacation somewhere) could result in a nasty surprise. Further, starting batteries REALLY don't like to be materially discharged either and are damaged by that, so you're basically begging for shorter battery life as well.

Note that there's allegedly an adapter available from Scosche -- it's wrong, however (or at least it was a a couple of years ago when I looked into it.)
idrive likes this.

Last edited by tickerguy; 06-21-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
The USB port is actually off the radio, and unfortunately the connector on the back of it is a custom one, which is insufferably stupid as there's no available interchange connector for an aftermarket head unit (which in the '14s and '15s was certainly something you could do, and I did!)

So I lost my USB port (despite having an open one on the back of the radio) when I changed the head unit out. Oh well. Note that continually-powered voltage-converted things (e.g. a USB port) is hazardous to your battery; the parasitic current drain is likely to be quite material (a couple hundred milliamps works out to ~5Ah/day!) and while it won't get you if you drive the car every day or two parking it for a couple of weeks (e.g. when on vacation somewhere) could result in a nasty surprise. Further, starting batteries REALLY don't like to be materially discharged either and are damaged by that, so you're basically begging for shorter battery life as well.

Note that there's allegedly an adapter available from Scosche -- it's wrong, however (or at least it was a a couple of years ago when I looked into it.)
Thanks for the info. Another inquiry was to see if the car has a "battery saver" feature, shutting everything down (sleep mode) should the battery drain to certain level. My other two vehicles have this... do we know for sure about the 18's if they do or not? Haven't found the info in the manual but still reading.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:

The adapter works, but it only retains the charge feature, not the data feature.

When I added my 2300NEX, I bought this:

And put it in the front cig location. USB Data + Aux in. And looks OEM-ish.

OCTOGONPC likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to 93blkongreenpro For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (06-21-2018)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I could do that but I'm unwilling to lose the 12V outlet generally -- it's switched, which is perfect for a lot of uses (e.g. cellphone, a place to tap for my dashcam, etc.)

The outlet in the armrest is unswitched, which is also useful. The Scosche adapter (which I have) did not mate with the plug behind the radio when I attempted to buy one (I wound up returning it); they may have corrected that, but it's pointless if they didn't bring the USB data side through since the entire point of having that port is to have a USB data connection available to your radio (not just for charging but also for music storage, etc.)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I could do that but I'm unwilling to lose the 12V outlet generally -- it's switched, which is perfect for a lot of uses (e.g. cellphone, a place to tap for my dashcam, etc.)

The outlet in the armrest is unswitched, which is also useful. The Scosche adapter (which I have) did not mate with the plug behind the radio when I attempted to buy one (I wound up returning it); they may have corrected that, but it's pointless if they didn't bring the USB data side through since the entire point of having that port is to have a USB data connection available to your radio (not just for charging but also for music storage, etc.)
You can still tap for your dash cam as the wiring is still there. And you still have your cig lighter in the arm rest.

Everything I use is USB based for charging, so I have no real use for a cigarette lighter. My arm rest cig light has a USB adapter in it that Inuse to charge my wife's iPhone and my sons ipad.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
So, for clarification, the center console USB ports are directly connected to the head unit? If so, they are only powered when the car is on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page