Replace spark plugs every 75000 miles or 60 months - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
With my 2004 Chevy cavalier. I owned the car for 12 years. I sold the car when it has 80k miles, that's how little I drive lol

In those 12 years, I never changed the spark plugs and never had a problem, I guess I got lucky. I never changed the coolant either. I never changed the shocks and struts. The only maintenance I did was oild changes and brake. The AC was always cold, never recharged it. I did have a problem with a plastic on the auto transmission, which broke and I couldn't shift. I had that replaced by a mechanic for $30 dollars, never had a problem with that again.

I did have to replace the master cylinder because I never did brake flushes. It costed like $400.

I didn't care that much about maintenance cause I didn't really like that car lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then don't bother with the plugs, life for spark plugs is due to the use not the age, No different than a spark plug sitting in a box versus installed in a car that's never driven. Just leave it, I barely changed out my original spark plugs out my 2003 F-150 5.4 but it only had 80K so age on parts don't really count on liquids like oil, coolant, gas etc yes it does.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
My view stands -- leaving steel-into-aluminum threaded things that serve critical functions alone for very long periods of time, when the aluminum thing is expensive and hard to remove and fix, is a bad idea.

TDI VWs have a notorious issue with this and their glowplugs; a lack of sufficient care and lots of time between removals (e.g. 10 years) will frequently lead to a non-removable one or worse, one that snaps off when being removed. While a non-functional (and non-removable) glow plug (1 of 4) in a diesel will usually not be operationally significant (other than leading to a permanent MIL that will fail you in an emissions-testing locale) if the same sort of thing happens with a spark plug you're instantly screwed.

IMHO spark plugs into aluminum heads are a "pull no less frequently than once every 3-5 years irrespective of mileage" item, and DO use a compatible anti-seize on reassembly. If they're ok it's perfectly fine to pull them, look and reinstall, but you only need to have this happen to you once to wind up with a $1,000 labor bill (if you pay someone to do it) for a head R&R + timesert, plus the car being inop until they can get to it.

I'll pull 'em every couple of years just to make sure I'm not going to wind up with that problem, even if they don't need to be replaced. They're trivially accessible on this engine as well, so unlike my Suburban (which has two that are a pain in the butt to get at) this is a 15 minute job -- max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
My view stands -- leaving steel-into-aluminum threaded things that serve critical functions alone for very long periods of time, when the aluminum thing is expensive and hard to remove and fix, is a bad idea.

TDI VWs have a notorious issue with this and their glowplugs; a lack of sufficient care and lots of time between removals (e.g. 10 years) will frequently lead to a non-removable one or worse, one that snaps off when being removed. While a non-functional (and non-removable) glow plug (1 of 4) in a diesel will usually not be operationally significant (other than leading to a permanent MIL that will fail you in an emissions-testing locale) if the same sort of thing happens with a spark plug you're instantly screwed.

IMHO spark plugs into aluminum heads are a "pull no less frequently than once every 3-5 years irrespective of mileage" item, and DO use a compatible anti-seize on reassembly. If they're ok it's perfectly fine to pull them, look and reinstall, but you only need to have this happen to you once to wind up with a $1,000 labor bill (if you pay someone to do it) for a head R&R + timesert, plus the car being inop until they can get to it.

I'll pull 'em every couple of years just to make sure I'm not going to wind up with that problem, even if they don't need to be replaced. They're trivially accessible on this engine as well, so unlike my Suburban (which has two that are a pain in the butt to get at) this is a 15 minute job -- max.
All the stuff I would have to buy, sockets and 3/8 which I don't have, only 1/4, might as well pay a mechanic to change them for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page