CarPlay Announced - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
I made my infotainment system AA & Carplay compatible on my 2014 Touring by replacing the head unit. Don't get me wrong, it sure is nice. But why are so many people getting in a wad about Android Auto & Carplay? I admit it is convenient, sure, but I guess I don't understand why so many people appear to making their purchasing decision on an app? I'm not saying this doesn't need to be added since every other manufacturer is doing it too, but wouldn't the vehicle's driving characteristics be more important?
In Mazda's case, I think it also has to also do with the Commander knob. So far as I know, there's not a real aftermarket option for making the knob compatible with an aftermarket head unit. Also consider that many car manufacturers (including Mazda) are switching to a tablet form factor for their infotainment instead of a DIN form factor. It makes an aftermarket unit almost impossible... or else renders the 'tablet' a gaudy doorstop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
^ Right. When I went to my Pioneer headunit I lost the command knob. At first I did acclimate to the knob within a few weeks of owning the car, but since installing the Pioneer I've pretty quickly gotten used to it not being there anymore. The superior audio fidelity, adjustability and overall better user interface of the Pioneer far outweighs the convenience of the knob. I replaced it with the little cubby hole pocket that comes on the sport and I'm plenty happy with the extra storage!

As far as I know the only aftermarket headunit compatible with the command knob on the pre-toaster form factor are those straight-outta Hong Kong Android headunits. While they seem nice at first glance, the questionable reliability, build quality and shoddy customer service are major drawbacks. At any rate, hope the 2018 infotainment system works better than my 2014 did.

Last edited by dasrider; 03-29-2018 at 09:23 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Available July 2018

It has been announced that, for those who have purchased the 2018 Mazda 6 in Touring trims and above, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be available for dealer upload starting in July. It will be a no charge service for Touring trims and above and will only take a short visit to the dealer. Mazda 6s will come factory loaded with both app programs starting in December. If you own a Sport model, it will cost you for the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Thanks for the update. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and make my appt. for July. I figure this way they'll know about it and have it ready to go.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page