Mazda 6 Forums banner

Question about hooking up Ipod to 2014 Mazda 6

190K views 324 replies 110 participants last post by  Blackzilla 
#1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this...anyhow.

I recently got a 2014 Mazda 6, and I must agree with everyone else...the car is pretty sweet. Though I ran across a small problem. Every time I hook up my ipod to the car through the USB it says scanning ipod, or connecting to ipod, something along those lines. The problem is that it takes a really long time to connect, and to be honest I've had the car for a couple of days and I've seen it connect to my ipod only once (cause I got tired of waiting the rest of the times).
I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem? I want to know if it is the ipod, my car, or the actual Mazda software they are using.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your recent purchase.

I've not yet tried the iPhone/iPod connection via USB so I'm not sure if it's on the Mazda end or on the iPod. What kind/year and software version is on the iPod?

I'll test mine on my way home today from work.

#4 ·
iPod Touch 1st generation does, anything older than that would not. The problem with Bluetooth playback (on Apple's End) is that you CANNOT shuffle songs. It will shuffle to the first song, but will continue in whatever order the playlist is in after that.

#6 ·
I'll check my iPhone 4 when I leave work today - unfortunately I think I'm going to report back and say it's something to do with the compatibility of your iPod and the car :\ even though your iPod is fairly new.

Let's hope it's just a software bug and it can be fixed with a patch.

#8 ·
Alright tried this on my way home.

Either:

1) You have very little patience while it's connecting.

or (more likely)

2) You have a TON of songs on the iPod.

From what I could see, the car pre-loads most of the songs (or at least the song information) into it's RAM so that playback is smoother and a little better - this also reduces strain on the Navi's CPU. I only have a couple thousand songs on my iPhone and it took about 2 minutes to fully load everything and start playing. Once playing it was fine.

Your iPod should be capable of bluetooth, and I'd suggest that's the best way to go with it. But like I mentioned earlier, Apple has a problem with their playback software that doesn't allow Shuffle to be used in playback through Bluetooth.

So either you wait for the songs to load each time, or you listen to your playlists without shuffle - your call :)

#9 ·
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, for me since my ipod is almost full (about 120gb worth of music and videos) it takes about 10 minutes to load. I was very used to the Toyota I used to drive which would load the ipod in less than a minute and would remember where I left the songs at.
Anyhow, after much patience I realized that there is nothing wrong with either the car or the ipod. Maybe new software patches might make the loading a bit smoother, who knows.
Anyhow, thank you for the help!

#10 ·
IPOD Reading

I've got the same issue as Betito where my ipod is full and the stereo system is simply stuck at 'reading'. I'm a software developer and that's just plain poor software. I'm very surprised it made through any sort of usability tests that Mazda would subject it to. If we make enough noise, perhaps we'll get lucky enough that they update their software. That's a shame since so far, my 2014 Grand is awesome in just about every other way.

#11 ·
I've got the same issue as Betito where my ipod is full and the stereo system is simply stuck at 'reading'. I'm a software developer and that's just plain poor software. I'm very surprised it made through any sort of usability tests that Mazda would subject it to. If we make enough noise, perhaps we'll get lucky enough that they update their software. That's a shame since so far, my 2014 Grand is awesome in just about every other way.
1) Welcome to the forum!

2) I'm also a software engineer so I definitely see your point and agree with you.

3) I believe the only reason that Mazda did the interface this way is for smoother playback and shuffling - I cannot think of any other reason to pre-load the songs (which is why it takes so long to initially load). I was trying to figure out why they might add this feature, and could only think that perhaps they completely overlooked larger HD MP3 players all together.

Either way, it's certainly not well-written and hopefully there's an update in the future. Causing a big stink on here will probably not get them to change anything, but you never know :)

While we wait for Mazda to push an update to the Navi software, I'll be trying to work with Apple and get the bluetooth shuffle playback working since that's the thing I'm most upset about.

#14 ·
Thanks - we also have verizon and I am a bit disappointed with that discovery, but it's my wife's car and she really doesn't mind, but it seemed like a 'selling point' when we read about it...
anyway, Thanks a lot and keep us updated.

#15 ·
I am having the same issue with my 160gb IPod classic. I have about 130gb on it and it fails to connect every time. Works with my smaller shuffle but not the big boy. Very frustrating. And iPods don't have Bluetooth, that is just on the touch. For now I am just using the aux input. Disappointing since I was looking forward to being able to see the song and artist on the screen instead of looking down. I emailed Mazda about it and I will update if they reply.

#16 ·
Just bought my Mazda 6 GT 2014...same issue. I have a 32GB USB drive (I don't own an iPod) and I don't want to use bluetooth to stream music.

I turn off my car, and the car forgets the last song it was playing or what songs I have on my USB drive. It goes into reading mode again and then starts from song 1!!!

I have 3000 songs and to go back to the song that was playing, not to mention to have to hear it from the beginning is unacceptable. My honda Civic never did this. It was flawless in MP3 playback...

Also The Civic used folder navigation, which was preferred over the ID3 Tag browsing in Mazda

#17 ·
I noticed the same from MP3's played via a jump drive. My low end JVC head unit remembered it's play list position even after pulling out the drive. I bought a USB to micro/mini USB and I jack and it plays the 4 GB's just fine with no display issues.

On a positive note I loaded over a thousand contacts (business phone) from my HTC with no issues, impressive. Really wish it had rear deck speakers, most manufacturers are omitting these. Waste of bass IMHO.
Yeah these is a cutout for a little sub. Oh well, breakout the 12" in a box.

#18 ·
Does anyone know how to view mp3s as file names and not ID3 tags? and how to navigate using folder navigation instead of ID3 tags? I know it keeps referring to CDs and navigating via folders but I would rather do that for my USB

Thing is that I have some specific folders with a lot of singles..
80's Music
90's Music
Movie Soundtracks
Video Game soundtracks

and ID3 tags just ruin the whole thing....thanks!

#19 ·
Hello. Picked up my 6 on Monday. Just wanted to add to what others have mentioned and what I've discovered with my iPod 5G (80gig) connection issues via USB.

1. Long connect times. 7-8 mins. iPod has 12000 approx songs.
2. Does not always show same total number of songs.
3. Does not always show all playlists (sometimes none other times some).
4. When playing from playlist. Plays songs that are not in playlist.
5. When changing mode from "iPod" to something else then back to "iPod" will not reconnect to iPod device. Required to unplug USB and reconnect.

Welcome Improvements in addition to above
Currently to search Artist/Album/Song lists your are required to scroll thru the list sequentially. Large lists are just impossible. An alpha pad to search Artist/Album/Song lists, Like the phone contact search.

Also an ability to resume play from last song/playlist when car has been shutdown then restarted.

Went to dealership today and tried on another 6 (Atenza) and CX-5 which also has same audio system. Experienced same issues. I'm currently waiting for servicing to get back to me about this issue.

Would be interested to know if others are experiencing the same issues as described above and from what region your from as well (I'm Australia).

Cheers :huh:

#20 · (Edited)
It's definitely a big flaw, which ruins perfection of new M6. I have 16 GB USB and waiting for a minute every time i start the car, not mentioning listening to first song EVERY f***g time - it's totaly anoying. If you organise ID3 tags or .m3u playlists it could help a bit, considering system does not work with folders, but overall first two problems remain.

I'm even thinking of demanding repair (update) or partialy refund as it can be considered as hidden flaw of product, especialy comparing that part of M6 to other brands in the same car segment.

And what's best, it's said by my dealer that is that for that generation and no update is in plans.

The beauty of listening to same song every time i start the car and drive for a minute of silnce....

#21 · (Edited)

As an addition to my post i just found out, that two audio systems are available in Mazda 6, type A (without big screen, found in entrance models) and Type B with 5,8" TFT, as seen on my top picture... Type B is so advanced it's fucked up, on the other hand, Type A is older player model which does not know playlists, albums, id3 tags and other crap, but you won't believe, it does read folders and remembers last song played! So, the solution is to go and shoot some Mazda engineer between his/hers eyes! :) and consequently ask them to build Type A in your car, neglecting useless and problems full bluetooth and navi modules.

And here's my latest discovery:

The same Type B radio with different software - top picture is CX-5 with folder playing and it remembers what was played prior engine off. Next two bellow yellow line is M6, the same system, but newer and poorly enginered software, which doesn't allow playing folders, but all the rest useless shit and... as we mentioned... doesn't remember what was playing.

And, what's best, such thing is considered as hidden fault or disfunctionality, of which buyer can demand return of payment.

#22 ·
Just an update to those interested. I also have an iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 5. When plugged into the USB these devices seem to function as they should. Playlists play right songs.:)

I don't have a lot of songs on these devices so load up time is minimal. But would expect to see longer delays with more songs.

Also my old iPod 5G 30 gig device displays same annoyances as iPod 5G 80 gig I described in earlier post.:mad:

While this issue isn't the end of my world. It would be nice to have all my music and playlists that are stored in one place and to have it controlled and displaying track info on car stereo. Maybe reserved only for really long trips only.

I guess I'll just have to go back to the good old AUX cable.:eek:

Are these radios firmware up-datable. Would they bother to improve compatibility for older iPod device or add improvements to the user interface in general. If they did I'm sure it wouldn't be free.

How do you get this feedback to the REAL Mazda who develop these systems and not the dealership and or servicing department who really don't seem to be able to do anything.

#23 ·
I leave a old 4GB I-pod plugged in the center storage full time. This works well as the USB power shuts down with ignition hence does not drain the battery.
Still the USB jump drive starting at song one is un-acceptable.
I tend to run Pandora via Bluetooth and my android quite allot
Really like HD radio too.

#24 ·
Here's a number to corporate Mazda USA (800) 222 - 5500

I spoke with my cust service rep and he said there were no plans of any software update and if in the future they do releases new cars with the updated software, then I have to go through the process of buying a new car if I want those updated software features. So I said to him "In order for me to get rid of the hidden flaw they have in MP3 playback, I have to take a loss of a few thousand dollars in depreciation to switch out my car?" And he said. "basically yes."

Much lesser cars don't have this issue. My Civic had better Mp3 play back than this garbage software that comes in Mazda 6.

Another issue in Mp3 playback
When you're looking at the song list
1) Long song names SHOULD scroll so you can see the entire song name
2) The song list should update (scroll down) as you move onto the next song but it remains static so even if 10 songs have played, the song list will show you the song you first selected even though the current song playing could be on the next screen down

Whoever developed the sofware, has an IQ of 10. Did they not see how their competitors are running their audio playback software?

Also, name recognition is awful on the M6. I tried dialing a number using voice command,so far 0% success.

#28 · (Edited)
Here's a number to corporate Mazda USA (800) 222 - 5500

I spoke with my cust service rep and he said there were no plans of any software update and if in the future they do releases new cars with the updated software, then I have to go through the process of buying a new car if I want those updated software features. So I said to him "In order for me to get rid of the hidden flaw they have in MP3 playback, I have to take a loss of a few thousand dollars in depreciation to switch out my car?" And he said. "basically yes."
If I have to buy a new car to fix this problem Mazda can have my trade through the showroom window. I love everything about this car but the stereo. But it is a constant aggravation.

#25 ·
If they don't intend on updating/fixing the issue for our cars. Then the only redeeming thing that they can offer which may alleviate the annoyance we deal with on a daily basis is to throw in a free remote start.

I have to put up with the Mp3 playback issue every day. I don't even like running errands any more to be honest. I enjoy the drive of the car but to have your music reset every 10 minutes or so, not to mention the time it takes to start playing is just becoming a major pain.

If that is something I have to deal with every time I sit in the car, then the only thing that makes sense is a free remote start since that counters the daily negative with a daily positive.

#29 ·
yeah my older ipod 60gig (i think) takes around 60-80 seconds to "read" before start playing.

I hate that it resets at song 1 but its not a deal killer, but you also have to hit Shuffle again each time. I was listening to a long great song, and stopped for gas and when I got back in, I was like shit....I'm not going to be able to listen to the end for awhile and if I do I have to restart it.

It certainly needs some work and I am highly disappointed a brand new car has that type of technology.

Also one minor issue is when you are listening to your Ipod while the NAV unit is on, if you skip a track the title of the song will show at the top of the navigation which is awesome btw, but if you do not skip and let it run from song to song, there is no title displayed.

I wish it would show the track info no matter when it goes to the next track.

#34 ·
To me the best solution is to upload your music library to Google Music where it can be stored in the cloud and streamed from your phone or any device that streams. Then you can just use the auxiliary jack and no wait time or loading time. It is free and I just discovered it recently and have access to my entire music library anywhere. Seems like this may solve some of the hiccups people are having via USB!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.