Ventilation noise from glove compartment *VIDEO* - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ventilation noise from glove compartment *VIDEO*

Dear all

I recently bought a Mazda 6i from 2008 with 97k miles on the odometer for $6500. It needed new brakes, some oil and new bulbs but are now up and running hopefully for many miles to come. However, one thing still annoys me. Behind the glove compartment I can hear a ticking noise (from the ventilation system i presume). I have read much on the air filter being the problem, from the forum here. However, I tried taking the filter out and starting the engine - but the sound remained. I tried taking my hand down the ventilator to feel if any leaves or the likes was there, but I couldn't find any 'foreign' objects .
A local mechanic suggested it would be the heater causing the noise. However, I argued against him that if that where the case then the noise would be less prominent if the heater was turned off. The ticking noise still is there when the heater is off (Hence, the noise never stops unless the fan is set to zero).

Link to movie;
Mazda 6 2008 ventilation noise. - YouTube

Ultimately I would like you guys to come up with your suggestions to where this noise comes from, how it can be fixed (DIY maybe?), and your estimate of how much it would cost me. I appreciate very much in advance the ideas and thoughts you may have on this problem.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards
Stefan
SteewDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

By the way, I figured out this morning that the "inside air recycle/outside air intake" - button does not work (What is this button called? ).

Not sure if this adds anything to the problem.

Great car though. Even though this 2.3L R4 engine only have 150hp and 150NM it drives excellent! I feel as having enough power.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

I'm driving a 2007 Mazda 6i with 58k miles and that "inside air recycle/outside air intake" button just like you, isn't working and my ventilation has been making the same noise as yours since I bought the car.
flabbe05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbe05 View Post
I'm driving a 2007 Mazda 6i with 58k miles and that "inside air recycle/outside air intake" button just like you, isn't working and my ventilation has been making the same noise as yours since I bought the car.
Hi!
Thanks for your reply
Could I ask you when you bought your car and if you ever have investigated the problem further?
The noise is driving me nuts sometimes, but i guess I better have to get used to it
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Ticking noise while driving or parked at idle? Does it come on with the fan/heater/ac?
2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
ydrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydrone View Post
Ticking noise while driving or parked at idle? Does it come on with the fan/heater/ac?
The ticking noise is there when the fan is on. It seems that the noise is consistent independent on fan speed. That is, if the fan speed is 4 the ticking noise is overheard by the blower. The noise is there when AC is on/off, the same for heater.

Lets assume that it is the fan engine that is the problem. Do you guys then happen to know where I might find one of theese?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Ventilation noise from glove compartment *VIDEO*

Sure it's not the purge valve ur hearing?

Sent from my finger
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I had the same issue with my 05. I did 2 things

1. replaced in-cabin air filter
TYC 800024P Mazda Mazda-6 Replacement Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive TYC 800024P Mazda Mazda-6 Replacement Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

2. took out the blower motor and cleaned out the leaves. I have a 05 v6 and holding the blower motor are 3 screws + electrical wiring underneath the glove compartment. It took about 5 minutes to take out. I used a long screwdriver to hold up the motor while loosening the screws. It's easier that way and is less likely to damage the plastic

g'luck troubleshooting

k&n stock air filter | 180 thermostat | TB ground | awr 88 rmm| scangaugeII | RB abe | ADR 18x8.5 | 255/35-18 | RB wagon springs | ebay yellow fogs | oem rain visors | steeda 28.5 sway bar | fumoto valve | ebay side markers
dechaoz05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Thanks for your reply guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SoonJr View Post
Sure it's not the purge valve ur hearing?

Sent from my finger
I cannot exclude that. However, since the sound dissapears when the fan is turned off this may not be the case. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechaoz05 View Post
I had the same issue with my 05. I did 2 things

1. replaced in-cabin air filter
TYC 800024P Mazda Mazda-6 Replacement Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

2. took out the blower motor and cleaned out the leaves. I have a 05 v6 and holding the blower motor are 3 screws + electrical wiring underneath the glove compartment. It took about 5 minutes to take out. I used a long screwdriver to hold up the motor while loosening the screws. It's easier that way and is less likely to damage the plastic

g'luck troubleshooting
Thank you, I will try taking that off next week. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I will be very happy!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Sometimes my blower motor makes a ticking sound, but it increases in frequency as I increase the fan speed. Since yours is independent of the speed, something could be stuck inside the air ducts.

Remove the cabin air filter and see if you still hear the noise. It's a small opening, but maybe you can put in a flexible feather wand or something to see if anything is blocking inside.
2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
ydrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.