The Transformation Has Begun - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation The Transformation Has Begun

For those of you who haven't seen me around, I'm new to the forum. My participation here all started when I decided to get an aftermarket front bumper. When I got it installed there were things I didn't like about it so I decided to make a project out of it.

The things I didn't like about the bumper were the gap between the hood and the bumper and the lip. To fix the gap I bought an 03 - 05 stock grill and cut out the honeycomb, leaving just the top bar and emblem. To fix the grill I went out on a limb and bought a BR lip with hopes of fitting based on some preliminary measurements. Well today I started the project and many of you requested that I take pics during it all, so here's what I have so far:

Here's the original setup:

Since I got up early I didn't want to wake the neighbors with the cutting so I went to home depot for supplies. I decided to work on the fogs until it was day time when I could start cutting. I got some old school Lexus yellow fogs at a junkyard last week for 20 bucks. Looks like they will mount fairly easily and wiring shouldn't take but an hour or so.

As you can see there is a lot of gap in the fog opening so I found some foam slider things for furniture on clearance at the Depot for $10 so I'll use that as a sort of grommet.

Here's me laying on my back checking the mount point for the fog assembly. Easily enough all I'm gonna use is an L bracket and drill it into the frame there.

By the time I had got all the supplies and started eyeballing the fogs it was late enough to start cutting. I decided to start with the grill. Here's the before:

Here's the after:

I'm going to clean up the cuts a little when I get whatever tool I'm gonna use to sand.

Next I cut the top bar off the bumper to make room for the OEM grill.

Here's a rough mock up:

I also had that ricer chicken wire mesh in there and it was silver. I decided to plastidip it so here it is with the mesh back in. Prob can't really see it, but it does look better than silver.

Next was the hellraiser; the BR lip. Now I knew that I ran a risk of creating all kinds of trouble for myself trying to fit a lip made for the sport bumper, on any other bumper, but the measurements I took made me confident enough to try. Plus, I'm kind of fun and crazy like that. Anyway, let's just say today was a long day. Here was the first attempt to put the lip on after a few initial cuts to the bumper and BR lip.

Looks like there's hope right? Well after many many more cuts to both the bumper and the lip, the lip has been heavily modded. Some of you may even be offended at how much I chopped off this thing. I will say it was a little more cutting than I initially expected, but hey it was a fun experience.

So anyway, at one point I thought I was screwed. I was cutting and cutting and couldn't get the lip to reach around to the back of the bumper. Well I didn't give up and kept making cuts. After a long day cutting fiberglass with a rotozip lol, here is the first semi-acceptable fit:

And

Here is the lip after all the cuts:

That thing got butchered lol.

By no means am I car body fabricator, but damnit I am determined. Next step is to sand the edges of the cut. After all that, there are some gaps between the lip and bumper at some points. They aren't very attractive but aren't a deal breaker either. I've come this far, I will find a way to fill them. There are plenty of chips and scratches in the bumper now but the shop I originally got it painted at was going to respray the car for free anyway, so I'm not worried about it.

Next I have to make a couple of adjustments on the OEM grill and have the body shop put some filler where the original lines were to make it look smoother.

At this point it was a lot of work, and at times today I thought I was screwed, but after seeing the last pictures of the day I still like it better than the way the original aftermarket bumper looked. It will look even better once it's painted and I smooth the edges.

I will keep you all updated as to the progress and hopefully I don't have to spend too much more money on this experiment lol.

Before I go though, I was wondering if I should keep all of the middle part that creeps into the bottom grill hole or maybe shape it into a triangle or something. What do you guys think?
Obe1Cannoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Obe1Cannoli For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (02-17-2013), legacy4life (02-18-2013), mmceorange (02-16-2013), Sleepy (02-16-2013), WeakSauce (02-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: The Transformation Has Begun

It looks great already!

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2013 Scion tC MTX Release Series 8.0 (1688 of 2000): Build Thread
2005 Mazda6i MTX Hatch: Traded. Build Thread
2004 Mazda6s MTX Hatch: Totaled.
2000 Dodge Neon ATX: Winter Beater
YayITzToxic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayITzToxic View Post
It looks great already!

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Thanks for the motivation!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts

That is going to look fucking dope.

Wheel gap is like a vagina… The more fingers you can fit, the worse it is.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
It's good to hear these positive comments. I did this all on a whim and spent a few bucks too. The only thing I'm really worried about are the small gaps between the bumper and lip and making sure it fits tight. But I've come this far, I'm gonna make it happen. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I didn't think it was possible, but you've made that bumper into something that looks pretty damn good. Congrats.
JohnSnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSnowNW View Post
I didn't think it was possible, but you've made that bumper into something that looks pretty damn good. Congrats.
Thanks for saying so. Didn't come easy. My whole body is on recharge right now. Can't wait till its done.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Thanked 2,913 Times in 2,051 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
^^ This!

Great work so far man! Damnit I wish I was good with fiberglass......

P.S. LOVE how all this is happening right next to the Po-po

TiGraySpeed6: "Back to class youngster, and get off my lawn!"
Mz6GreyGhost "Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul."
Everything you'll ever need for the 3rd Gen Mazda6
Byakuya is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Thanked 1,061 Times in 845 Posts

Dude this is turning out great! Keep at it

As for the gaps, I would recommend learning how to patch fiberglass with.. fiberglass. It's messy and time consuming, but it would be the proper way to do it. next best thing is epoxy the pieces together (actually, should also do that if fiberglassing as well) and use body filler.. which could also be time consuming if you have to build up a lot. Then sand, clean, sand, clean, wet sand, clean, wet sand, clean, wet sand clean, prime, wetsand, clean, prime, wet sand, clean... you get the idea.

Also, are those projector fogs? If I wer you (which I'm not, fyi) I would try to find larger fog lights to better fit into those openings.. I personally like big fog lights.. like the older Imprezas. Or, if you're into the look, you could use up that gap with CCFL halos. They aren't for everyone, though. Just my $0.02

2006 Mazda 6s GS | Hatchback | Tungsten Gray
mmceorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

You may totally disagree with me but, i think you should black out the kite shaped slots for the fog lights, and paint the mesh blaaack! (try is with plastidip first to get an idea of how it looks)
evolution99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.