Mazda 6 Forums banner

~~ The official "What did you do to your 6 today" thread!! ~~

736K views 5K replies 458 participants last post by  jman 
#1 ·
Per title, What did you to to the 6 today?!! Short, sweet, pictures ~ Post up!!

#2,387 ·
Well, I put in Stillen front and rear swaybars on the genesis on Sunday. The car responded very well and I liked the change so much, I ordered the Addco rear bar for the 6.

#2,390 ·
Went to town with a can of Eastwood 2K clear and sprayed my new grill, intake box and center console parts. Which was the perfect amount of parts for one can of 2K. Install of grill should be tomorrow!

#2,392 ·
WOOOOHOOO got t-boned @ a light! Not terrible damage but damage to drivers door and pas door. Plastidip actually saved a ton of damage to the car. Going to request my car get Redipped to protect the paint.

Reactions: pballer225
#2,398 ·
Just purchased new wheels for the summer tires. No more mounting and un-mounting the snows! Should be here Friday according to the shipping estimate. So excited!

#2,402 · (Edited)
Good Lookin' out @pballer225 I guess the way I typed it made it sound a bit convoluted. (I fixed it :))

AANNYY WWAAYY... I finally got around to mounting my new grill along with about 20 red fender washers to match my lugz and strut bar.

Regarding the color, I used automotivetouchup.com (again). All I have to say it.....BOOM! It was a PERFECT match! It looked a bit off until I laid on the Eastwood 2k along with a a 1k wetsand, 2k wetsand, rub, polish and wax compound. It looks amazing now. WHOOT!

For my fellow Racing Ravin grill owners, @kANAkSz and @sammichmanjr thanks for the fitment tips, they helped a TON! I also laid a strip of blacc vinyl on the grill behind the grill to hide the bacc half of the bumper. As previously mentioned I also JB Welded a strip of plumbers tape on the bacc of the lower half and zip-tied it to the OE lower mounting holes to snug it in.

NOW...onto the AWESOME pictures....
I'm thinking with all this work I may begin a build thread this weekend...or as soon as I have a few hours to get it set up :lol:.

#2,408 ·
You should be fine. My passenger side is zip tied inside the wheel well and it's been fine for months.

#2,409 ·
Spent all day at an alignment shop waiting, only to be told at the end of the day that they couldn't align a car with stretched tires. I literally rub going straight on a road with no bumps. I do dumb things so you don't have to.

#2,410 ·
Spent all day at an alignment shop waiting, only to be told at the end of the day that they couldn't align a car with stretched tires. I literally rub going straight on a road with no bumps. I do dumb things so you don't have to.
Looks like it's time to look into stretching those fenders! I really hope there is a way to make it work. I love those rims.

@pballer225 I'm loving that phone case. I may have to steel your idea. What type of case did you start with?

#2,413 ·
Installed Rok Blokz last night, pretty happy with how they look on the car. Excited for the NATOR meet this weekend, will probably give her a nice bath tomorrow

Next on the list is internals that I got in the mail yesterday from Edge :D

Reactions: 6Y MAZDA
#2,415 ·
Test fit the new wheels yesterday :) As expected no clearance issues (not like i was going crazy with a 50mm offset on a 17"x7.5)

Unfortunately, the lugs they sent with them are the rounded dome type (like all stock lugs) and there isn't enough room to get a wrench around to tighten them. The wheel locks I already have luckily fit great (nice and flush in the lug hole). Reached out to the seller to see if they will send different ones. What do you guys recommend?

#2,416 ·
So after some thought, I guess I need to find a thin-wall 21 mm socket... First couple I've found though have an O.D. of 1.25", and these holes are at 1.1"... hmmmmm

#2,417 ·
New wheels are looking good! @voldsom

Went to town with a fender roller to pull the fenders to accommodate the Vossens. Also, took a Dremel and removed a great deal of the front fender liners. So much room for activities!
At this point, it's a battle of wills and I'll fit the damn things if it kills me.

Reactions: voldsom and HovA
#2,418 · (Edited)
Took her out for a long drive with the local www.mazdasnw.com gang and had a blast.

@voldsom Check out Gorilla lug nuts, they are pretty narrow and look nice too.

Reactions: voldsom
#2,420 ·
I think that was the store clerks car. That was a mini mart half way point. We had about 13 Mazdas with us. It was pretty funny because when we all pulled in the owner came out to take pictures of all of our cars lined up.

#2,421 ·
Good lookin' out @HovA, those Gorilla lugs might work out for me. And they would add some security, throwing those and my McGard's on. I sent an inquiry to Tire Rack and they are gonna send me a thin wall socket for them free of charge... I'll see if that works. If not I might request they send me Gorilla lugs ;) They definitely seem narrow enough but the width (O.D.) of the key would be important I suppose. I'll ask on Amazon, ppl are usually pretty good about hooking up with information.

#2,423 ·
Good lookin' out @HovA, those Gorilla lugs might work out for me. And they would add some security, throwing those and my McGard's on. I sent an inquiry to Tire Rack and they are gonna send me a thin wall socket for them free of charge... I'll see if that works. If not I might request they send me Gorilla lugs ;) They definitely seem narrow enough but the width (O.D.) of the key would be important I suppose. I'll ask on Amazon, ppl are usually pretty good about hooking up with information.
I have Gorilla Lugs and the key is very narrow; it fit into the holes on the Manarays which were so tiny I thought they weren't even going to work on our chunky wheel studs.

#2,424 ·
The color is a bit light but like you said....probably for the best. Don't want to attract any unwanted attention from the boys in blue!

Regular water is ok...but I would strongly suggest using dish soap mixed with water. The extra lubrication is very helpfull. Don't use automotive soap as it has wax in it and will prevent a good adhesion. Also make sure you have a squeege (to squeeze out the bubbles and wrinkles) AND a heatgun to soften the wrap to pull it around the corners. In cold form its not very flexable. A hairdryer MIGHT work. Also remember there is a protective layer on BOTH sides of the wrap. So grab an exacto knife and peel it off when you're done.
Good luck and take your time.

I let mine sit in the sun for a day to "cure" but I did wash mine the nxet day. Make sure you leave enough around the edges to tuck it in too.

#2,435 ·
HovA, I messed up lol. Film just isn't my thing.
If it worked out, I think it would have looked really good. Perfect amount of tint for me.
What went wrong with the tint?

#2,448 · (Edited)
Too many curves and angles. Just couldn't get it right.
I feel ya! It took me 2 trys to get it right, but as they say...it takes a time to perfect anything. At least it's a cheap product. $6.00 as a learning experience aint' bad. I would suggest removing the tails from the car and try it again! I bet removing them will make it a lot easier to form the material. In the instructions I watched it mentioned having 2 people. Remember to soak both the film AND the tail light after placement then heat the film (this will force the moisture out) Then you can grab a squeegee and rub out the "wet" dots. For compound curves this may be helpful. I think mine may have turned out a bit better with one person on the gun and me (I burnt my hand a few times). You CAN do it!
I have faith in you!
Repeated hits of the heat gun may be necessary to re-soften and re-mold the wrap. Be sure to wear gloves as the oil on your fingers WILL show up. TRUST me, a close look at mine will tell the truth.
BTW, I see you went with the heat gun instead of the hair dryer.....very good choice!:)

#2,451 ·
I feel ya! It took me 2 trys to get it right, but as they say...it takes a time to perfect anything. At least it's a cheap product. $6.00 as a learning experience aint' bad. I would suggest removing the tails from the car and try it again! I bet removing them will make it a lot easier to form the material. In the instructions I watched it mentioned having 2 people. Remember to soak both the film AND the tail light after placement then heat the film (this will force the moisture out) Then you can grab a squeegee and rub out the "wet" dots. For compound curves this may be helpful. I think mine may have turned out a bit better with one person on the gun and me (I burnt my hand a few times). You CAN do it!
I have faith in you!
Repeated hits of the heat gun may be necessary to re-soften and re-mold the wrap. Be sure to wear gloves as the oil on your fingers WILL show up. TRUST me, a close look at mine will tell the truth.
BTW, I see you went with the heat gun instead of the hair dryer.....very good choice!:)
Removing them is definitely the way to go!!

#2,437 ·
@pballer225 , That looks pretty nice. The fading color in mine has been bothering the shit outta me. I may just try to hunt down a new one...or maybe in hindsight I should have just removed mine this morning when I had the front bumper off the empty my occ. Oh well.

#2,441 ·
Took the Winter 17's off and put the 20's back on. Repainted the calipers (winter kicked their ass), cleaned SRI filter.

Next on the list is the engine bay for sure -- the freakin salt from the roads up here is all over the surface of everything. It sucks. Any reco's for cleaning that off?

Reactions: HovA