2005 computer issue... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to SilAro2
Default 2005 computer issue...

I think that my engine ECM is fried. I have found a exact part(L3G1 18 881E) to match mine, so will it have to be reprogrammed? My local Mazda dealership closed down, and the nearest dealer want return calls.

My 2005 Mazda 6 with only 39k miles will crank fine, but the engine starts to lope when warmed up. Plus, the engine, alt., ATX lights all come on. The engine shifts hard into reverse. I have have tried FOUR different scanners on it, and they all come up with NO-LINK AVAILABLE screen.

Anyone have/had these problems? Thanks for any input...
SilAro2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Back in the day my car recieved all those lights also the TCS light (car with skid marks) lit up and it shifted hard. I was still able to pull a code but it ended up being the Speed Turbine Sensor. I dont know if that would be your case. What kind of scanners have you tried to use?

If you replace the ECM I am pretty sure you will need to get it reflashed but never having to do it myself i can not 100% sure.
`05 6i Hatchback ~ Glacier Silver ~ Blacked Out Emblems ~ Tinted interior lights with LEDs~ Black Suede headliner~ Black Leather seats ~ BSD ~ AEM CAI ~ Opt TB ~ HID's ~ Advanced Timing Mod ~ 88 Duro AWR mounts ~ CAR-Led Tails~ MagnaPack Exhaust ~ Speed6 Doors ~ Red Kevlar Console ~ Herculinered Diamond-Plate Floor mats ~ BR lip ~
Build Thread
Crimsonmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would Disconnect the battery and find every connection present and systematically unplug and inspect every one of them. It very likely the sub-systems are unable to communicate with each other just as you are unable to communicate with the main ECM.

You're looking for pins not seated, burned wires, broken wires, corrosion, growth, discoloration of pins (male and female). This includes the ABS brake system as they all talk to each other. IMO you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Get it some where warm and dry with good lighting so you can see what you're doing. If you find damage report back. If you find corrosion, clean with soap and water. Air dry with hair dryer and apply some dialectric grease to the pins before re-seating them. If any of the pins don't hold spring tension correct it.

NOTE: dialectric grease will not stop corrosion that is already underway.

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Adding to above - this includes all connectors in or around the fuse box, in the engine bay, under the dash, and everywhere you can reach with a little disassembly.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Thanks for the info. I have used different versions of a Mattco and a Excelan scanner, all had no link status. A friend of mine(who was a mechanic for years) and I have already checked all the connections that we could fine, and we also checked both fuse boxes. All seemed to check out. We even made sure that the scanner port checked out. But, there is always a possibility that we missed something. I wish cars were as simple as they use to be!

I will probably go back through it again. The car was fine when I parked it one Sunday night, and then the next morning it shifted rough in reverse and then all the lights came on. I had replaced the alt. 3 months before, and also one 6 months before. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not. This alt. still reads that its properly charging, even though the light is on.

Thanks for the help. I will post again when I find something new. I still am thinking of changing the ECM. Final Impact, do you know if it will have to be reprogrammed?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilAro2 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have used different versions of a Mattco and a Excelan scanner, all had no link status. A friend of mine(who was a mechanic for years) and I have already checked all the connections that we could fine, and we also checked both fuse boxes. All seemed to check out. We even made sure that the scanner port checked out. But, there is always a possibility that we missed something. I wish cars were as simple as they use to be!

I will probably go back through it again. The car was fine when I parked it one Sunday night, and then the next morning it shifted rough in reverse and then all the lights came on. I had replaced the alt. 3 months before, and also one 6 months before. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not. This alt. still reads that its properly charging, even though the light is on.

Thanks for the help. I will post again when I find something new. I still am thinking of changing the ECM. Final Impact, do you know if it will have to be reprogrammed?
How many times did it get jumped due to dead batteries? Any chance someone reversed the polarity by accident or something like that? Maybe while you weren't there?

And do you know what part of the Alternator failed? The electronics are the weak link i.e. the rectifier to convert AC to DC and there the voltage regulator which maintains the DC voltage out keeping it under 14.5Volts. . .
MY point - if the regulator failed and the system saw spikes upwards of 15 to 16 volts, that could damage parts. . . So how do the cables look? It seems strange to loose to alternators in such a short time. My Camry has 255,000 on the all of the electronics except the O2 sensors. Nothing has been replaced except the battery! Yoder = Reliable!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

The cables are fine, no corrosion or damage. I believe it was the voltage regulators that went out on the two replacement alt. The original was over 6 years old when it went out, it looked fried inside. I am the only one that ever jumped it, and I know to really watch it.

I thought that was too many alt. myself, but I know people who have bought 3 alt. back-to-back before they got a good one. I bought these all at a local chain(wont say which), so they tested them and replaced them under warranty. I wouldn't doubt that a voltage spike happened on some occasion...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Finally took my car to the dealership a few weeks ago, said it was the main computer(nearly $1600 fix). They now are saying that the new PCM is working and they are able to communicate with it, but there is THREE other modules that it cant communicate with(Transmission, ABS, Dash/Display modules) and need to be replaced. All total would be $5,000...Holy Crap..... They think the car may have took a lighting strike(never heard of that). With only 39k miles, it MAY be worth the fix if I KNEW that would be it, but it may run to $7000 it that doesn't fix the problems...

Any advice? I already have a guy that will pay the $1600 for the repair then he would part it out. I just don't know if I want to walk away with nothing. Really like this car, but I may have reached my limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.