2009 Mazda 6 3.7L, customization, info, etc. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2009 Mazda 6 3.7L, customization, info, etc.

I'm looking at a couple of really nice 2009 Mazda 6 3.7L v6 cars. One has 38k miles the other 18k, both spotless like new.

I read through the form (and Google) about some of this, but I don't see this engine being mentioned.

* Removing the governor, adding some HP - anyone work on this engine? What are the consequences (good and bad) for doing so, such as voiding warranty or reducing MPG efficiency?

* I read issues with the factory remote starter, where they had problems with the vehicle turning off as soon as a hatch or door was opened.

* Issues with the Navigation system not working properly (up to recent models)

* I drive 84 miles per day (!), easily packing on the miles -- I take care of my cars. How are these engines rated at high miles?

* Any other common mechanical issues I need to be aware of with this newer model?

* Cabin noise from driving higher speeds on the highway, eventually some rattling. ?

The Autocheck reports for the two cars I reviewed both indicate they had to have repairs made only to comply with NH emissions (so it's probably not a serious repair). No other repairs reported.

What I found curious at his dealership is that these two cars were not Certified Pre-Owned -- they were bought at auction in the northeast region (1 owner each). The salesman mentioned that not doing so was partly due to their being under manufacturer warranty... is that true or BS?

I wasn't too impressed with the Bose sound system, and there's no Navigation -- from what I've read, many people prefer to go third party to replace these...

Sorry if this is too much to ask... but I appreciate your time.

Thanks!
forrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

i daily drive a 2011 mazda6 gt 3.7 and have nothin to complain about thus far,

2011 Mazda 6 GT V6 Techno Pearl White, AccuAir Equipped. SOLD
brandonlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Groans: 41
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts

Almost 70k on my 2009 6s and not an issue at all. For the first 6 months, I put 100+ miles daily and never had an issue.
There's a lot of wind turbulence at high speeds with the windows down, but not up. Factory warranty should be 3 yr/ 30k miles. 38k > 30k > 18k
Aftermarket nav will be better and save you some $$$$. Stock one is fine, just has outdated maps (2008).
Car has never shut off on me.
Factory 6 speed auto can scoot at high speeds no problem.

Good luck on the purchase.

2009 Mazda 6s GT - Rotora BBK, KSport coilovers, 19" TSW, Injen CAI, Addco RSB, AWR rmm |
2012 Genesis Coupe Turbo
- ARK, DEPO, HKS, RMR, PA, Prodigy, Sequence, Stillen, Turbo XS |

Plasti dip is for tool handles.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts

2010 6sGT with 24k. Been great except for throttle body issue that affected other 3.7 models from both Mazda and Ford. If the car has a unstable idle it's probably the tb issue. This was apparently caused by a manufacturing defect that allowed moisture to get inside tb.

You should also confirm that the electronics for steering control and radio are working well due to a wiring harness issue in the first year. Again is was a supplier issue that has since been resolved.

I don't have factory Nav though I kinda regret not getting it.

Other than that this is is a great, under appreciated, car that in V6 form alway manages to put a smile on my face when I bury the throttle or take a corner. I like it so much I may buy out the lease at the end of the year, unless the new Takeri 6 proves to sexy to ignore.

Oh and switch out those oem michelins ASAP. When I switched to yoko envious the car became a different animal. More tossable and precise without being uncomfortable or nervous.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2010 Mazda 6s GT Ebony w/Tech
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
ocramida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Leather seats, premium sound...

The car I'm looking at is in great condition... but, it's the "touring" not "grand touring". It has these leather lined seats with a striped cloth that makes me think of Snuggies (hurl). This means it probably has a lower-end Bose sound system.

It seems petty, but I could try to negotiate this with the dealer. I mean, new leather seats for this -- where could you buy them? And I don't mean those crappy leather seat covers (blech). And we know that Bose generally sucks, but a new system is $$$.

Thanks.....
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts

Stating Bose sucks is an over generalization. Every manufacturer has lower end and higher end products. All depends on what the manufacturer wants to pay for. For instance Infiniti Bose systems are quite good, as are those in Porsche and Cadillac.

That said, I find the 6's Bose system with the MID/Display sounds better than the system in my CX 9.

Fwiw

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2010 Mazda 6s GT Ebony w/Tech
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
ocramida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

I wasn't impressed with the sound of the Bose in this car. Though my "other" car is a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Infinity Gold system, which I actually love and never felt the need to replace.

I posted a question about the sound system in another forum, curious what people are putting in for an amp and speakers. I don't like "bright" speakers, they hurt my ears.

I also heard the Nav in the Mazda sucks -- probably because they didn't figure out a way to get the maps updated, too. I have an iPhone and can probably just use the TomTom app to satisfy that. But it might be nice to have in the car eventually.

Every vehicle has different acoustics. I wonder if anyone had to put sound insulation into the doors of the 2009 Mazda 6.

My car has partial leather seats with the striped cloth that reminds me of Snuggies. I'm told to get the factory seating (heated) would cost in excess of 1,000.00 at cost. Anyone know about this? Those so-called leather coveralls are NOT an option! Ghetto :-)

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Groans: 41
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts

For the GPS, you just need to get a new map dvd. Factory anything is expensive compared to aftermarket on most cars and this car is no exception with the leather option.

I'm done. Good luck with your purchase options.

2009 Mazda 6s GT - Rotora BBK, KSport coilovers, 19" TSW, Injen CAI, Addco RSB, AWR rmm |
2012 Genesis Coupe Turbo
- ARK, DEPO, HKS, RMR, PA, Prodigy, Sequence, Stillen, Turbo XS |

Plasti dip is for tool handles.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

I easily put on about 21k in commuting miles per year. I want to purchase a car (engine) that can withstand those high numbers and last a while. I'm not seeing a lot of data on this with this model, but it could be I'm not looking in the right places.

There is one available (GT) with 38k miles on it at a Mazda dealership nearby. I've seen it, it's very clean, but not CPO (which I'm not happy about). I think that's high mileage, but what's everyone's opinion here?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrie View Post
There is one available (GT) with 38k miles on it at a Mazda dealership nearby. I've seen it, it's very clean, but not CPO (which I'm not happy about). I think that's high mileage, but what's everyone's opinion here?
It doesn't seem to be more miles than what you'll average per year on it, so it may not be a bad choice for the amount of driving you do. Then again, buying ANY car is a risk, so IMO get what you like more, what suits you better. No use driving something you hate because it's supposedly more reliable...

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Mz6GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.