Mazda 6 Forums banner

Throttle Body replacement 2003 Mazda 6

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flipper66 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Mazda 6s. Recently, I've come to learn that I will need to replace the throttle body on my car. It has 95K on it. Car won't accelerate when pressing gas pedal, and the CEL codes are for throttle body.

I've searched the forum, and apparently other people have had this problem, too. There was a Technical Service Bulletin posted in 2006 for these throttle bodies, but they only appear to be covered if your car is under warranty (which my car isn't). So, my questions are:

(1) What are your thoughts on ordering the throttle body online? I know that apparently Cordovamotorsports.com sells one, but cheapest one there is $415 for my car. I found an OEM one on Ebay for $215, but it just includes the throttle body, no other hardware included. Although, I'm assuming that there's not much else one has to buy with the throttle body aside from the gasket?

(2) Will replacing the throttle body resolve this issue? The Mazda mechanic says there's no reprogramming or anything necessary, so I'm hoping the CEL will go away with the replacement and no other software reprogramming is necessary

Just as a fyi, the engine on this car blew out at 80K about a year and a half ago (yes, I was regular with oil changes). Kind of a freak thing, but since then, the clutch has been replaced ($900K), as well as this random purge valve ($500) and fuel pump ($600). Needless to say, I'm fed up with this car, and Mazda in general. What was initially a great car has been nothing but headaches for the last 2 years.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.