How to open a locked rear door....!!!!???? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all.

I have an infuriating problem

I noticed that the passenger rear door was not locking so I fiddled with the inside lock switch. When locking the car the lock switch would attempt to lock but wouldn't, leaving the door unlocked. After a bit of fiddling with the lock switch the door eventually locked.

However, the bloody thing now won't unlock. The lock switch can be moved from lock to unlock but the door remains locked.

I have managed to get the door trim off (not easy with the door locked shut, and also moved the inner door panel so I can access the cables going to the lock unit but I cannot actually get to the latch mechanism and the actuator.

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlatch or unlock the door so I can open it to replace the lock unit??

Please help as I would rather do this myself instead of paying crazy dealer prices to do something that may be simple.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

i know this sounds stupid but have you checked if the child lock is on?

EDIT: When working on the magna VR-X, I noticed that there is a way to trip the "secure" lock when fiddling with it. I'll ask my dad how we managed to get it unlocked again. Basically the same situation as you.

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
ttshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superskaterxes

pull

hard
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
GT3076R ~ TXS BOV ~ Custom 3" MAF SRI w/ giant AEM filter ~ AP ~ FMIC ~ CPE DP ~ DNP Mani w/Tial 38mm MV-S EWG VTA'd~ CPE BT TIP ~ TWM Stage 1 ~ CPE RMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ BC CO's slammed ~ SPC BJ's ~ EBC Red's ~ Stoptech's ~ Technafit SS Lines ~ Autometer Boost & STRI EGT ~ 20% Tint ~ LED Tails ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ Xtra Shorty Antenna ~ Dashhawk ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ Whiteline RSB ~ PnP'd IM ~ CDFP Internals ~ labonte meth kit
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

QUOTE (milnei @ Nov 17 2008, 10:41 AM)
Quote:
Hi all.

I have an infuriating problem

I noticed that the passenger rear door was not locking so I fiddled with the inside lock switch. When locking the car the lock switch would attempt to lock but wouldn't, leaving the door unlocked. After a bit of fiddling with the lock switch the door eventually locked.

However, the bloody thing now won't unlock. The lock switch can be moved from lock to unlock but the door remains locked.

I have managed to get the door trim off (not easy with the door locked shut, and also moved the inner door panel so I can access the cables going to the lock unit but I cannot actually get to the latch mechanism and the actuator.

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlatch or unlock the door so I can open it to replace the lock unit??

Please help as I would rather do this myself instead of paying crazy dealer prices to do something that may be simple.[/b]
I had this same thing happen to me about a month ago. My huisband's mom was in the backseat trying to get out and couldn't unlock the door. I know on the MS6 there is a little white tab/lever in the side of the door jamb that you flick up or down (child locks). Try that, it worked for me.
* StreetUnit Test Pipe * CX-7 antenna * Clear side markers w/super white led's * R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors/Rotora Ceramic Pads * SU Rear Engine Mount * Magnaflow CBE * TWM Stage 2 SS w/bushings</span></span></span>
BlackCherryChick06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

if all else fails, roll down the window and you can use a slimjim or something similar to pop the door open, then you can find out if a bar or clip came loose or broke on the inside of the door.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mazda4Ever Send a message via MSN to Mazda4Ever

if the child lock is on in most cases but the door is unlocked, you can still open the door from outside because I got locked into the back of an SRT4 once and had to roll down the window and reach out to open the door
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Late Update.

Thanks for your posts, however I eventially found the problem, the door latch mechanism had fallen apart!

I was stumped after trying everything. I took the plunge and stripped down the other rear door so I could understand how the latch worked, and after studying the good latch and comparing it to what I could see of stuck latch I realised that the latch housing had popped open slightly, causing the internals to fall out, eeeek.

From the good latch I found the last leaver in the mechanism that I could pull to pop the latch, and this was accessable through the hole in the door where the bump rubber is located, great.

But because the broken latch door was closed I couldn't get to the bump rubber or the hole so my only option was to drill through the car body (around a rear passengers shoulder area) first to get to the bump rubber, then pull the rubber out of the way, and then get a wire with a hooked end in through the holes and hopefully get the correct leaver and pull....

I tell you, when that latch popped, it was better than sex.......!

When I got the door open and took out the busted latch mechanism I managed to repare it, and secure it so the same thing wouldn't happen again. I also realised why it had failed. Shortly after buying the car I noticed that one of the three screws securing the latch into the door was missing. I found a replacement countersunk screw but it was slightly longer than the others. I fitted the screw, checked it was Ok and it seemed to be but I guess it wasn't as one day the screw stopped the mechanism from working properly and that is what caused the mechanism to split open.

Anyway I put it all back together (after shortening the replacement screw) and had the perfect sized black grommet to fill the hole in the body (car is black so you can hardly notice it), and everything was sorted.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Question

I know this is really old, but I am having the same issue. I cannot find the rubber bump guard you are talking about. I have removed the interior panel, and the other plastic panel (what PAIN to get off!!!) I cannot get the latch to unlatch! Can you describe in more detail how you got the 3rd latch released? Thanks!
thegadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Bumping this thread once more.

Has anyone found out how to unlock rear door? I also removed the interior panel and plastic panel but still can't find how to unlock it. I really don't want to drill through the car body as milnei did.
Tadas0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Thanked 1,084 Times in 768 Posts
Groans: 18
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda4Ever View Post
if the child lock is on in most cases but the door is unlocked, you can still open the door from outside because I got locked into the back of an SRT4 once and had to roll down the window and reach out to open the door
2006 BCM MS6 GT #00584
CP-E 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust. CP-E TMIC. HTP 3" TIP. Custom 3.5" MAF SRI. SU RMM. SU TP. Forge V1 BPV. Cobb AP. RichTuned. Denso ITV22. PTP HPFP Internals. STi S204 Lip. Megan Racing Springs. XXR 530 18x8.75 +33. VEI Boost Gauge with Block8head pod. Blox Shift Knob.

1996 Miata

SOLD: 2009 Mazda 6i GT.

6Y MAZDA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.