Can't remove any of the tires - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never been able to remove any of my tires from my car. I have flat and I need to remove one of the front tires, but even after removing all lug nuts and raising the car high enough, it is very difficult to remove the tire. Almost as if something else is still attached. Any ideas?

I have a 2005 mazda6 sedan.
And no, I dont have the anti-theft security locking nuts

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
Sounds like the wheels are just seized onto the hub. No need to fret. just take a rubber mallet to the inside of the tire and hammer around the circumference of the wheel until it pops off. If you are doing it alone, you might consider leaving 3 lugs on so that when the wheel breaks loose it doesn't fall off uncontrolled.

Worst case scenario is that you need to really kick at them

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
QUOTE (CU2003 @ Sep 28 2008, 05:14 PM)
Quote:
I have never been able to remove any of my tires from my car. I have flat and I need to remove one of the front tires, but even after removing all lug nuts and raising the car high enough, it is very difficult to remove the tire. Almost as if something else is still attached. Any ideas?

I have a 2005 mazda6 sedan.
And no, I dont have the anti-theft security locking nuts

Thanks[/b]
The factory wheels can be stubborn to get off, especially if they've been on the car for a while.

The way most people do it is to simply kick sharply on the inside of the tire or use a mallet and a block of wood. The wheel will usually pop off after a few whacks.

BE CAREFUL WHILE DOING THIS!!!! Support the car properly on jackstands before crawling under it and wailing away with your foot or a mallet. Doing it while the car is on the factory jack is NOT a wise idea.

I might suggest to make the wheels easier to get off in the future, go to your local auto parts store and buy a small can of anti-seize. Put a very light coating of it around the center bore in each wheel before putting them back on the car. The next time you have to remove a wheel it will come off a lot easier.

Good Luck, and be careful.

"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and the Stock Market the most certain."
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses! Actually these tires are new, so they were installed only about a month ago. I'm not sure exactly what area you are referring to when yo say center bore, but it sounds like a good idea! I have never been able to remove these damn tires, even when I wanted to inspect my brakes.
I am using factory jack because I didnt think this was going to be so involved, so I think considering what I am hearing I will instead use a larger floor jack and try gently hitting the tire with a rubber malet.

Thanks
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
From the sounds of it, you might need to do a bit more than gentle wacking. Don't be scared to give it a good wack as long as the car is securely supported (as dennis said).

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Try giving the tire a good kick, that will get it off most of the time. For some reason aluminum wheels tend to stick to the hub. In the past I even had to get under the car and hit the back side of the wheel with a wooden 2x4.

I see people have already answered this, sorry. I had this page open for a bit and did not refresh before responding.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're jacking the car off the ground, you can try loosening the wheel nuts a bit before jacking it up and shake the car a little to see if the weight of the car can crack it loose.

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 AT My Cardomain
2006 Mazda 6 Sport GT-V6 MT My Cardomain, My Garage

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
Yeah man, just kick the shit out of it on the top or bottom. Make sure the car is jacked up high enough so there is clearance between the bottom of the tire and the ground as well.

Andrew |
My 6 | Garage | Instagram | FB | Flickr
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:41 PM

yeah i wouldnt suggest to ever use the factory jack. its terrible. ive had mine fall over before. i was in a parking lot so i had no choice but to use it and it wasnt very level and it just tipped right over.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got it loose! At everyone's recommendation I decided to lower the car so I can use a better jack stand, and once the tire hit the floor the weight of the car loosened the tire. So I was able to raise the car again and easily remove the tire. Because Im not comfortable using the factory jack, instead I wil keep my car raised overnight with the larger floor jack, while tomorrow I can return the tire and get it repaired.

Tell me more about this anti-sieze spray. I use it when installing spark plugs, but I would prefer a solution like this rather then having to wrestle with the tires each time I want to remove them.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page