Mazda 6 Forums banner

another shitty mazda battery

18K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  kevin555 
#1 ·
so my battery died today. man these mazda batteries suck ass.

car is a 2007 S, 9,200 miles. bought in aug last year and of course battery is out of its 1 yr warranty (by 12 days) for full replacement. so was left with the 50/50, which made it $49.99!!!. complained a bit, so they reduced it to $39.99+tax.

was soooo pissed!!! fortunately roadside assistance got me a tow for free(after waiting 2hrs for the truck), and then another hr+ at the dealer waiting.... what a waste of a morning.

rant over...

#3 ·
my car only had just over 9000miles on it. rediculous that a battery does not last as long as it should. and the dealer could care less and offered no explaination - just that it happens, and the summer heat takes a toll, blah, blah...

#4 ·
Mine went kaput with zero warning last weekend.

Everything was fine on Saturday. Sunday morning I get ready to head to the corner meeting and was greeted with the flashing lights & dancing guages. Ended-up waking to meeting, as well as corner station. Fellow corner worker took me to Sears Sunday night- only thing they had for the recessed post Mazda usage was the Gold line for $100. Guy knocked $10 off for the helluva it. I would have bought a DieHard most likely, so no complaints.

#5 ·
Mine died about three weeks ago. Spent Sunday running erands with the wife. Got Monday morning....and.... you guessed it....NOTHING!!!

I didn't know what the hell was going on. I have never had a car that appears to have a good battery and not turn over...just that horrid clicking noise.

I was, luckily, at home when this happened. So i went in to the house, made some calls and took the wife's car to go to get my new battery. Popped the hood, unhooked everything and swapped the battery. Total time from leaving to get the battery..... 20 minutes.

Mazda batteries SUCK!!!!

#8 ·
QUOTE (dawei213 @ Sep 9 2008, 01:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1430890
Looks like a few battery threads popping up recently. Which battery are you guys replacing it with? Gotta replace mine.[/b]
Die Hard but only because Sears was close to where I was at the time.
Their customer service SUCKS but I have had good results from Die Hards in the past.

#9 ·
mazda put a mazda battery in mine. i was there and it was $50 w/3 yr warranty - so it will be easiest to get replaced when it dies again.

the crazy thing is this has a 3yr warranty(full replacement). whereas the factory battery that came with the car has a yr warranty, then 50/50....why wouldn't it be 3 yrs as well????

#10 ·
Damn Jay,

Sucks that your batt died.

As hot as it is in Houston, I hope it was very early in the morning when it went out.

Oh, my batt is still running good (2006,V6).

<----- Knocks on wood!

#11 ·
Ours died in July, with no warning. Seems to be a theme here. When it died I was off at work and my wife called AAA, and they replaced it with one of theirs. Who makes it? No idea. Was it cheap? Guess, they sold it to my wife. If it only lasts 6 months will end up going through a window? Maybe, but I can't comment on that.

#12 ·
I'll give you the answer to this right now, Ford MotorCraft! Ford's crapy line on OEM parts and components, my FoMoCo battery held out for 2 count em 2 years, whoopdedo.

I pulled it out, it weighed a ton! I put in a Durralast Battery, nothing speacial, just a differant brand of battery, and it weighed only half as much as the Motorcraft battery, I could even carry it with only one arm!

#13 ·
QUOTE (CoastStarlight @ Sep 10 2008, 02:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1431592
^^^you have got to post pics of your interior. i see the small pic in your sig, looks like an airstrip going on there in the middle of your car...

QUOTE (Frantic3 @ Sep 9 2008, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1431185
Damn Jay,

Sucks that your batt died.

As hot as it is in Houston, I hope it was very early in the morning when it went out.

Oh, my batt is still running good (2006,V6).

<----- Knocks on wood![/b]
thanks eric. yeah, it was around 7am. so was still pretty cool(only 80ish). i was still at the house, so at least was able to wait inside for the tow truck. still can't believe it only lasted a year...

#14 ·
QUOTE (CoastStarlight @ Sep 10 2008, 12:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1431592
I'll give you the answer to this right now, Ford MotorCraft! Ford's crapy line on OEM parts and components, my FoMoCo battery held out for 2 count em 2 years, whoopdedo.

I pulled it out, it weighed a ton! I put in a Durralast Battery, nothing speacial, just a differant brand of battery, and it weighed only half as much as the Motorcraft battery, I could even carry it with only one arm![/b]
Your Duralast battery, made by Johnson Controls, is identical, except for the label, to the Motorcraft battery, made by Johnson Controls, that it replaced. Probably made in the same regional Johnson Controls factory.

#15 ·
When i shake the Duralast battery you can here liquid inside it, not that i shook an acid filled battery just to here it, just something i noticed when installing, and realy, it is at least half the weight, atleast, the motorcraft battery is a solid worthless brick, no liquid inside, I learned long ago not to trust Ford MotorCraft parts, lol yet i drive a car with a fomoco under the hood!

#16 ·
so i sent mazda corp an email venting about my battery failing after only 1 yr. got a reply today from mazda offering me $100 in mazda gift cards for use on anything(parts, service, etc). i think this shows that mazda does care about us and they really do stand behind their cars. you just have to poke them a bit.

made my day today, thought i would share.

#17 ·
QUOTE (jbinx @ Sep 19 2008, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1439692
so i sent mazda corp an email venting about my battery failing after only 1 yr. got a reply today from mazda offering me $100 in mazda gift cards for use on anything(parts, service, etc). i think this shows that mazda does care about us and they really do stand behind their cars. you just have to poke them a bit.

made my day today, thought i would share.[/b]
Wow, that's pretty cool. I think I feel my battery starting to go...maybe it's time to write Mazda. Oh wait...my battery is 3 years old.

#18 ·
I just had to replace mine a couple months ago. I think it was still the original too....

#19 ·
QUOTE (CoastStarlight @ Sep 12 2008, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1433778
When i shake the Duralast battery you can here liquid inside it, not that i shook an acid filled battery just to here it, just something i noticed when installing, and realy, it is at least half the weight, atleast, the motorcraft battery is a solid worthless brick, no liquid inside, I learned long ago not to trust Ford MotorCraft parts, lol yet i drive a car with a fomoco under the hood![/b]

That is one of the many reasons the battery may have failed. The liquid evaporated over time. Many batteries have a vent cover that allow the addition of distilled water to cover the lead plates. Most manufacturers use a "maintenance free" battery that does not allow for servicing when the electrolyte evaporates.

#20 ·
QUOTE (Ericzoom @ Sep 9 2008, 02:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1430926
I replaced my 4 yr. old battery with a Duralast, because it died on me at an Autozone.[/b]
Same exact thing happened to me, now Ive got the red top duralast. I don't get the short battery life with these cars. My old car, a focus zx3 got over 7 yrs out of the battery and it was still fine when I sold it.

#21 ·
I also have the red Duralast after my OEM battery died about 13 months after purchasing the car. And as most of you have said, it was just all of a sudden.

#22 ·
QUOTE (jbinx @ Sep 19 2008, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1439692
i think this shows that mazda does care about us and they really do stand behind their cars. you just have to poke them a bit.[/b]
:yesnod:

well.. I got the repetitive P2006 for the MS6 in the first month - 3 times. I got a loaner and finally Mazda shipped a new intake manifold assy from Japan - Now its a recall issue but this was in Aug 2006.
I called up mazda and complained that I was not paying my lease payment for driving a rental mazda or a ford.

They refunded my first month's payment. THAT made my month.

I believe talking honestly and with some luck getting a decent CSR does wonders.

Additionally when I turned my lease in.. they were asking for 350.00 in tire wear. the Dealership faxed in a letter asking Mazda Corp to reconsider and they cancelled the amount due..

My experience has been excellent with MAZDA.. FWIW..

Cheers,

#24 ·
my battery died last week after having this car for a little over two years i bought the car brand new as an 06 model. I could not believe that a battery could go bad that fast and the dealer was like i am sorry there is nothing that we can do and that it happens some time, i will never buy another Mazda again!

#25 ·
QUOTE (Alex McDaniel @ Oct 11 2008, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1457247
So far 2 years 4 months, same Mazda battery w/ Kenwood KAC-7252 amplifier and 40 watt rms Pioneer speakers. I actually saw battery acids on the negative terminal for the first time today though - might be time for an optima[/b]
The Optima is made by the same company (Johnson Controls) that made your present Motorcraft, probably made in the same factory.

If you want a battery with absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology, consider that the Deka model 9AGM48:
  • Is a better fit on the Mazda6's battery tray than any model of Optima -- fitting the Optima model 34R-1050 battery (smaller footprint and taller than the Motorcraft BCI Group 40R size battery) requires careful placement on the tray and bending the tie-down clamp;
  • Has a greater reserve capacity than any model of Optima; and
  • Is likely to be considerably less expensive than an Optima; for instance, at www.remybattery.com, which sells both the Optima Red Top and the Deka 9AGM48, the Red Top in the BCI Group 34R size sells for more than $45 more .
See this survey.

QUOTE (tremendos @ Oct 13 2008, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1458301
my battery died last week after having this car for a little over two years i bought the car brand new as an 06 model. I could not believe that a battery could go bad that fast and the dealer was like i am sorry there is nothing that we can do and that it happens some time, i will never buy another Mazda again![/b]
Yeah, I can feel your pain. After we bought our house, would you believe it, within a couple of years, the light bulb in the porch light burned out; I will never buy a house again!
(There is a separate Motorcraft -- not Mazda -- warranty on the battery. Read the top of the battery casing. However, by now, you are probably in the proration period, and you might be better off biting the bullet and getting a new battery than paying the percentage you will have to pay on a full mark-up Motorcraft-branded battery.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.