Hit a pothole, now a squeaking noise!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I hit a pothole yesterday while making a left turn at a traffic light. It was a pretty nasty one and I cringed when I realized I wasn't able to avoid it. The car seemed fine afterwards though, still riding straight and no noticable change in the way it feels. But then I started hearing the squeaking noise. My poor 2005 6 only has 4600 miles on it!!! It was my front right tire that hit the pothole, and that is definitely the source of the squeaking.

It only squeaks when I turn the steering wheel to the right. When driving on the highway, it is a rapid series of squeaks but on the local roads it is more dragged out. So that makes me think this is an issue with the front right wheel itself. Doesn't make any sound when breaking. Any idea what could be causing this noise? Is this something that I may be able to fix myself? My Mazda dealer isn't open on the weekends, so it'd be a pain to bring it into them...
RedSiege is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Well lets see, you could have bent any number of suspension parts or you may have messed up a wheel bearing. Unless you are a pretty damn good mechanic, I would take something like this to the dealer or a repair shop.
Copper04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

during a snowstorm i very gently kicked a curb and days later noticed a squeaking sound. it went from once in a while and quiet to almost constant and not so quiet. took it in and had to have a new clip on my anti lock brakes installed. no questions asked ad far as what did you do. you could not tell that i hit anything from the wheel. maybe you did the same thing.
November 23, 2004 - present
cleveland6er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Today the squeaking was much worse, but now I am pretty sure it's something with the brakes that it causing it. It always sounded like a brake type squeaking to me, and the squeak occurs at basically every full revolution of the tire. When the squeaking got real bad on the drive home from work tonight, I applied the brakes very gently and that would cause the squeaking to stop for a time. I'm hoping it will be a situation like yours with the brake clip, and I'm really hoping that the warranty will cover this.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll let you know how it turns out when my 6 goes to the dealer for service next week.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

I assume that you've gotten this fixed by now, but I had a similar squeak/scrape that appeared suddenly for no apparent reason. I could stand outside and rock the car back and forth and hear it as the front wheel moved. I reached in between the spokes and grabbed some sheet metal that seems to be a shield for the brakes. I pulled the metal out a little and the sound went away. It seems that something pushed the metal in and it took only a small effort to pull it back into place. Haven't had a recurrence since.
tagbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I had it fixed weeks ago. It was my brake clips. Warranty covered it and now my car is squeak free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.