Power Door Locks Question - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Mazda6 (Atenza)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright - this is definitely a strange request, but I've got a rather stupid question re: our power door locks.

I've never noticed the sound they make, have always been completely oblivious I guess because they are pretty quiet.

So tonight, was dropping off a friend, hit the power locks to let her out and noticed a louder noise than I'd ever remembered hearing. Basically, from what I had always thought, there was just a slightly muffled "click" noise. Tonight, they went "click-CLICK," with the second click noise sounding like it was coming from behind the glovebox area, or down in the passenger footwell. Now, it was definitely louder than anything I'd ever heard before, but I wasn't sure if I'd just never noticed it before - but I'm pretty sure I hadn't ever heard the car like this. The car does it whether it's locking or unlocking, and I can hear it doing it when ou use the remote as well. Note that I know this is different than the sound you get when you push the unlock button twice, which gives you a click of just the drivers door and then a click of all the doors.

Just wondering - for all you 6Lovers - what does your car sound like when you hit the unlock button? "Click" or "Click-Click." If something just happened to my system, I sure want to get it fixed!

Edit: I just re-read this, I know it's a strange question, feel stupid asking it, I just could swear that hte locks sound different than they had...
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oi quick drinking...

If you press the unlock in the driver door it is a pretty loud click from all around you cuz it unlocks all the doors at once.
rrhunt28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to itbeanew1 Send a message via MSN to itbeanew1 Send a message via Yahoo to itbeanew1

you might be hearing the relay clicking? sit in your car and turn your lights on and off. you can hear the light relay clicking. see if thats the same sound you hear with the locks. if it is, its completely normal. if the relay didnt click the stuff wouldnt work.
Click here for my 2000 Grand Am GT cardomain site RIP
itbeanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by itbeanew1@Dec 29 2004, 10:30 AM
you might be hearing the relay clicking?* sit in your car and turn your lights on and off.* you can hear the light relay clicking.* see if thats the same sound you hear with the locks.* if it is, its completely normal.* if the relay didnt click the stuff wouldnt work.
[snapback]340596[/snapback]
I don't think it's the relay, but I'll try the lights when I get home from work to see. It wouldn't make sense because the new, louder "click" that I am hearing (this really is the strangest conversation topic) is happening after the "click" noise of the locks opening or closing (it's not comign from all around the car the way the door locks do) - a noise from the relay would happen before the noise of the door locks opening/locking. I did a bit more research and found out that the door lock control module is behind the glove box area, so it would make sense if the noise was coming from there, though I don't see why the DLCM would be making this noise. Still not sure what exactly the noise is, really - but I'll have to go play around with the car, see if I notice things like the lights working strangely when I do stuff like use the remote to open the car.

I'll have to try to look at it again tonight, jeez, would really like to avoid a trip to the dealer. Love the car, but this is the second little gremlin that I've noticed in the 2 months that I've owned it...
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to itbeanew1 Send a message via MSN to itbeanew1 Send a message via Yahoo to itbeanew1

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMidd@Dec 29 2004, 07:06 PM
I don't think it's the relay, but I'll try the lights when I get home from work to see.* It wouldn't make sense because the new, louder "click" that I am hearing (this really is the strangest conversation topic) is happening after the "click" noise of the locks opening or closing (it's not comign from all around the car the way the door locks do) - a noise from the relay would happen before the noise of the door locks opening/locking.* I did a bit more research and found out that the door lock control module is behind the glove box area, so it would make sense if the noise was coming from there, though I don't see why the DLCM would be making this noise.* Still not sure what exactly the noise is, really - but I'll have to go play around with the car, see if I notice things like the lights working strangely when I do stuff like use the remote to open the car.

I'll have to try to look at it again tonight, jeez, would really like to avoid a trip to the dealer.* Love the car, but this is the second little gremlin that I've noticed in the 2 months that I've owned it...
[snapback]340628[/snapback]
You wouldn't hear the relay click before the door lock "click" because the door locks are considerably louder than the relay. As soon as you hit the door lock button, the relay closes, instantly sending the current to the door locks to lock or unlock. There is no delay as electricity moves FAST.

The more I think about it im almost certain the sound you hear is either the relay or the lock control module thing you mentioned. I seriously doubt its anything that can be "fixed". Maybe you just never noticed it.

Since I read your first post I paid attention to the sound my car makes and it indeed does click after the locks operate. The click is coming from the passenger floor board area. Mine sounds like a relay... same clicking sound my lights make when they turn on or off.
Click here for my 2000 Grand Am GT cardomain site RIP
itbeanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.