LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 1496 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: My Fuel Economy Has Improved Dramatically

Is it really that hard to calculate gas milage rather than saying how much you get on a tank. Just look at your reciept and divide the total number of miles by the amount of feul you just put back in.

Also, gas is still hanging around $1.90 here in Atlanta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Learners License

I got 24.25 MPG on each of the two tanks used to drive from TX to IN. (6s auto)Considering that I was driving 80 to 85 I think that's not bad. Besides i drive agressively and never get the EPA estimate. I used to get 25MPG highway on the 96 maxima gle auto that the 6 replaced. When I use my mom's 2003 Accord EX V6 i get 25 mpg highway. So it doesn't seem like its so far below the competition like this forum would lead people to belive.
post #23 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Retired Moderator

The complaint usually isn't the highway cruise mileage, it's the city and/or the aggressive driving mileage. If you drive the car really aggressively with quick launches and high revs you can get city mileage in the low-teens, I've even gotten single-digit mileage on a tank before. But, if you drive that way, you should expect low mileage, so I dunno why people complain.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally posted by hindukid@Jan 18 2005, 05:59 AM
I got 24.25 MPG on each of the two tanks used to drive from TX to IN.* (6s auto)Considering that I was driving 80 to 85 I think that's not bad.* Besides i drive agressively and never get the EPA estimate.* I used to get 25MPG highway on the 96 maxima gle auto that the 6 replaced.* When I use my mom's 2003 Accord EX V6 i get 25 mpg highway.* So it doesn't seem like its so far below the competition like this forum would lead people to belive.
[snapback]349515[/snapback]
I regularly get 26 to 27 MPG in my '96 M3 on trips that my Mazda 6 Sport Wagon got 24.5 MPG on. Highway cruise at 80 MPH. Hopefully, once it is fully broken in the mileage will go up some. The M3 is EPA rated at 20 city and 28 nighway.

Rex

Rocket Wagon
post #25 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM

19+ mpg city
28+/- mpg highway
24+ mpg mixed

No complaints here.

Pogo (Walt Kelly) - 1970
2004 6s Glacier Silver Metallic ATX Moonroof SAB/SAC Bose Sport w/ Spoiler and Luxury packages
post #26 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to live close to my workplace (about 4 miles). I averaged around 20 mpg since it's mostly stop&go driving.

Now I live farther away (about 15 miles) and I travel on the interstate and my mileage goes up to around 26 mpg.

2006 Black Mazdaspeed6
post #27 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:09 PM

I think it's the city driving that kills all of us - getting 18MPG feels like we should be driving an SUV, somehow. I know that coming from a Civic, I love everything about the 6 and the gas mileage doesn't bother me per se, it just is a shock to fill up a gas tank after not that many miles (I mean, with an 18 gallon tank, I'd want 400 miles somehow!) and acknowledge that I'm paying a price for driving a car that has so much more power and that I enjoy driving so much more.

But opening up the sunroof and going for a nice drive absolutely makes me forget about gas mileage, just brings a smile to my face.

As of 10/23/04, Mazda 6s - Onyx Black/black leather - "my dream car"
post #28 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM

When doing a mix of driving (city and highway), I drive it normally and do go past 3k rpm. I usually see around 23-24 mpg. On the highway, I usually see 27 mpg with cruise control @ 75 mph. Overall, I'm happy with the gas mileage.

2004 Black Mazda 6s
5 spd, Bose audio, Luxury package, Sport package

post #29 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM

I drive about 20 miles each direction for work, its about half "city" and half "highway" and rarely, if ever, any stop and go traffic.

My first tank I got 19mpg my 2nd tank was 20.9mpg .. my current tank is already doing better than 21mpg and I have close to 1/4 of tank left.

I have "heard" that we can do pretty good on all highway driving but any in town stuff tends to kill the mpg really quick. Im sure a few mods like a better flowing Intake would help that alot (as long as you're not stomping the gas to much)
post #30 of 1496 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 PM

The EPA estimates start off lower than it's competitors. That sucks, but it's something I accepted because 1) it drives and handles so much better, 2) It's a real value for the price, and 3) the competitors don't offer a wagon which is what I need.

What I'm having a hard time accepting is that it's not coming close to meeting the EPA highway estimates for me. I have a 25 mile highway commute without a single stop between my neighborhood and the gate at my employer. I accelerate smoothly and gently and generally keep it below 75 MPH. The car now has 3000 miles and should be pretty close to broken in. I should be getting 25 MPG, but it's more like 23 MPG.

That's my main complaint.

2004 Wagon, Steel Gray Metallic with everything except Sport Appearance Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page