Houston, We Have A Problem... - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badself View Post
IF OP ends up not paying out-of-pocket, it will be because the dealer goodwills the repair. It is 100% impact related, albeit the impact happened against water. If OP approaches the dealer with a sense of entitlement on this matter, he/she may as well not show up at all. Heck, the description of the accident is a total admission of fault. The destructive force of water is well known (i.e. tsunami against the coast of Japan). Personally, I would just buy the part, any missing/broken fasteners, and install it myself. I hate stealerships more than most, buy right is right. Nobody but the owner or his insurance should be expected to pay for physical damage to the vehicle.
No way...cars should be designed to work outside where you such things as sun, water, wind and snow occur.

If it broke that easily then the manufacturer must fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredaroony For This Useful Post:
Shibby12 (05-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Lol his car was in a tsunami now?
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tear has straight edges as if one cut it with a pair of scissors. That cannot happen in an accident, it would be an irregular tear. I think that liner was defective, a weak spot or a straight line fracture was already present and it just separated when subjected to force of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Perhaps all of the Einsteins here (myself included) can wait for a resolution from the dealer's perspective. Y'all have a nice day.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok all, so here is the final verdict. I went into my dealer's service shop Friday morning. When I reiterated the issue to them (I had already emailed them the day prior) the shop manager said no problem, that rain caused a lot of problems the other day, you're not the first person to come in with this issue. Hmmm... OK. So they write it up and after they finish recording the work order into the system, the guy behind the counter says "Now just so you know, David charges for this." D'oh. OK. At this point I'm so burnt having stayed up crazy late the night prior, and now I'm trying to rush to work, so I don't even argue. I just shrug and say OK.

Wit that said, they get it up on the lift, check it out, and then David the shop manager comes out to the waiting room and says "No worries, we don't need to order a new part, our mechanic was able to just put a nut on it. He's got it tight and secure so it shouldn't happen again. No charge for today."

So I walked away happy. But I must admit, despite the good points in this thread, I'm still kind of surprised that they were GONNA charge me had they needed to order a new part. As previous posters have said, the car should be able to withstand a puddle. I know it was a big puddle but come on. I've hit puddles before with my previous 6s and other cars and nothing like this has ever happened. I still believe the pin wasn't fully secure to begin with (or the nut was loose, however it's fastened).

"Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas. We got eighty feet of the waterline, nicely making way."

Last edited by DirtyRU; 05-06-2014 at 01:54 AM.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRU View Post
Ok all, so here is the final verdict. I went into my dealer's service shop Friday morning. When I reiterated the issue to them (I had already emailed them the day prior) the shop manager said no problem, that rain caused a lot of problems the other day, you're not the first person to come in with this issue. Hmmm... OK. So they write it up and after they finish recording the work order into the system, the guy behind the counter says "Now just so you know, David charges for this." D'oh. OK. At this point I'm so burnt having stayed up crazy late the night prior, and now I'm trying to rush to work, so I don't even argue. I just shrug and say OK.

Wit that said, they get it up on the lift, check it out, and then David the shop manager comes out to the waiting room and says "No worries, we don't need to order a new part, our mechanic was able to just put a nut on it. He's got it tight and secure so it shouldn't happen again. No charge for today."

So I walked away happy. But I must admit, despite the good points in this thread, I'm still kind of surprised that they were GONNA charge me had they needed to order a new part. As previous posters have said, the car should be able to withstand a puddle. I know it was a big puddle but come on. I've hit puddles before with my previous 6s and other cars and nothing like this has ever happened. I still believe the pin wasn't fully secure to begin with (or the nut was loose, however it's fastened).
The only good points in this thread were the ones where people told you shouldn't be charged...
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Groans: 8
I absolutely would not think they should charge you.

Unless they could prove without a reasonable doubt that external forces (that of a puddle) which literally tore out the wheel well liner, I'd be furious if they said it wasn't warranty work.

Glad your situation was resolved, though.

2014 Mazda6 JBM Sport.
LED Treatment (Red Interior, White Vanity, White Trunk, White License Plate, Rear Turn Signal LEDs)
DDM 55W HIDs
AutoTrim Kick Plates & Mud Flaps
Wishlist: Corksport SRI,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 25% Tints,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Chrome Door Handles, Gloss Plastidipped Wheels.

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks all, yeah glad it's over and done with, knock on wood. I hate public confrontations at businesses. I'm the type of guy who will eat my soup cold because I don't want to hassle the waiter/waitress, so glad I wasn't forced into questioning the charges.

"Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas. We got eighty feet of the waterline, nicely making way."
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Glad they were able to "fix" it for you with a larger nut. I'm guessing they put a larger washer under it as it was clearly torn to give it a larger area to grab.
Ya, I'm guessing your area did get a lot of water damaged cars those few days.

I worked at a dealer for 15 years. That's why I came to my earlier conclusion.
1 week old, 1 year old, makes no difference when something gets hit with an outside object. As they stated, if it needed replacement it was clearly caused by your actions, not a factory defect. It would of been a customer pay job.
As is, they gave you free labor to "rig" it back up.
Mechanics are usually paid by job, so the dealer had to pay the mechanic to fix it.
Not Mazda. (Warranty)

Sorry, not trying to sound like a dick. It's just the way warranty works. And in this case, Mother Nature caused your problem, as did you when you drove through an unknown depth puddle.

Dealers have to be super careful when it comes to warranty work. When Mazda requests the old part back and sees that it was an outside force that caused the damage they charge the dealer back for the full cost of repair. Happens a lot in the dealership world.

'16 CX-5 GT
'14 6 GT
'13 Golf R (APR Stage 2+)
'10 GTI (APR K04, 313 WHP)
'07 Mazdaspeed 6 (Cobb, CP-e)
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
Glad they were able to "fix" it for you with a larger nut. I'm guessing they put a larger washer under it as it was clearly torn to give it a larger area to grab.
Ya, I'm guessing your area did get a lot of water damaged cars those few days.

I worked at a dealer for 15 years. That's why I came to my earlier conclusion.
1 week old, 1 year old, makes no difference when something gets hit with an outside object. As they stated, if it needed replacement it was clearly caused by your actions, not a factory defect. It would of been a customer pay job.
As is, they gave you free labor to "rig" it back up.
Mechanics are usually paid by job, so the dealer had to pay the mechanic to fix it.
Not Mazda. (Warranty)

Sorry, not trying to sound like a dick. It's just the way warranty works. And in this case, Mother Nature caused your problem, as did you when you drove through an unknown depth puddle.

Dealers have to be super careful when it comes to warranty work. When Mazda requests the old part back and sees that it was an outside force that caused the damage they charge the dealer back for the full cost of repair. Happens a lot in the dealership world.
Um no sorry but that just doesn't work...

If something is designed poorly or has a fault then just because it was driven through some water, as it should be designed to do, then it should and would be covered by warranty.

If the car is that delicate then it should not be driven outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page