Leather Steering Wheel already fading.. - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycobra View Post
I Have the same exact things on my steering wheel, except its randomly spotted all over the wheel. I too thought i was paint dots. since its not a critical issue i haven't bothered to ask the dealer about it
Thanks for posting... so this seems to be a defect. My car is only 8 mos old. This is unacceptable to me. If anybody else is experiencing this.. please post. I will try to get a picture of mine. This can only get worse.. I will be bringing this up with the dealer... I want a new wheel !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
any particular brand of cleaner you guys have been using on the wheel? I haven't touched mine with chemicals and it's fine *shrug*

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
If I'm treating leather care products (which almost always produces shiny, slippery results) on the interior, one thing to leave out is the steering wheel. For safety reasons (of course), one needs not to elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWGTI123 View Post
Thanks for posting... so this seems to be a defect. My car is only 8 mos old. This is unacceptable to me. If anybody else is experiencing this.. please post. I will try to get a picture of mine. This can only get worse.. I will be bringing this up with the dealer... I want a new wheel !!!
looked online and this issue seems to happen on other leather steering wheels too. i grabbed some pics for comparison's sake and visual learners

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerrycobra For This Useful Post:
dellbx (04-26-2014)
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's bizarre; it looks like some sort of bleaching due to chemical contact due to how localized it is. Yeah, that would bother me.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
any particular brand of cleaner you guys have been using on the wheel? I haven't touched mine with chemicals and it's fine *shrug*
I have had several cars with leather and leather steering wheels... have never used or needed any chemicals... all i have ever done is just wipe down...never an issue..these white spots just appeared one day..very strange..and the fact that another owner states same means something. I keep all my cars immaculate.. so i know this has not been caused by something on my hands...hope this helps to clarify. Really sucks..i cant stop staring at it...
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
As I remember, these white spots (same on my old ride with almost silvery-like on Passat, also with black leather steering and interior) seems to have originated with something I had handled at one point. Apparently, I noticed these spots were even present on my black Tiptronic gear knob, the black leather hand brake lever and some on the left door leather arm rest and grab handle. None though on the leather seats nor other black leather or vinyl surfaces of the interior.I do not have these spots when my car was barely new then and I was on top of frequently wiping clean of everything my hand touches inside the car's interior constantly (same cleaning method as I do now on the M6)...But as the car got older (and therefore less "attention" on care , I'd admit), then these spots started to appear. It got stuck and ignored it (since the car was old) and it stayed...till I traded it in, for this car.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner on my steering wheels. Doesn't make them shiny or slippery. If anything it make the wheel more grippy. I do the same on my Vette and my wife's CX-9 and BMW vert. The vert really needs protection as it gets the most sun.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yeah my 2015 mazda 6 has some ripples from the sun beating on it and what not. I'm going to ask my service advisor and see if it's covered on warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page