Fuel Oil Dilution - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been thinking about this and want to give some more detail on how this car is driven. It takes three or four 2.5 mile round trips to work weekly. Aside from that, the car does the usual suburban driving. My wife is out doing the errands cycle right now - grocery store, cleaners, post office, etc. The car will never have a chance to cool down between stops. It also gets driven on the freeway on a regular basis, probably a couple/few times per week, but not daily. It's also our primary car for longer trips, although there's only been a couple in the few months since we bought it. I do know where the kickdown switch is and have never been accused of being a slow or timid driver.

After sifting through a lot of info on the internet I have found it's pretty much just a fact that direct injection motors leak fuel into the oil, especially with short trips in cold climates. 4.8% dilution in 800 miles is a lot of dilution and way over every suggested limit I have seen.

There are a lot of cars that are driven like ours, and I wanted to post the info on oil dilution as a heads-up to other Mazda6 owners who live in cold climates and use their cars in a similar way. If it's a concern, oil analysis is about $25 which seems pretty reasonable to know if you have an oil dilution problem which will shorten the life of your motor.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
I agree with ExB5.

For those that care about injector health, and junk in the engine, the best medicine is to drive your car really hard at least once a week, even if it's only a 10 minute drive. Hit full throttle a few times, get the revs above 5k, get that engine hot like a self cleaning oven.

I think people that baby their cars 100% of the time: never more than half throttle, never more than 3k RPM are doing their engines a real disservice.
Bingo solar365. You hit the nail "concept", right at the head. Smart dude.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
4.8% over 800 miles is wildly out-of-spec and if allowed to continue will eventually do severe damage to bearings -- at minimum.

Either your driving pattern is really abusive in relationship to what the car is engineered for or there's something wrong with it (e.g. an injector that is not sealing and is pissing fuel into the cylinder off-time!)

Figure out which it is and put a stop to it. If you can smell gas on the dipstick you're well into the "in trouble" zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Thanked 1,241 Times in 780 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_gribble View Post
Welcome to direct injection. That's what's gonna happen when you pressurize fuel to 1600psi and basically mist it straight into the cylinder.
I think it is amusing this goes ignored.

Take from those of us who've been DI owners for 7-8 years now -
This is common across the board for DI engines. As was stated, high pressure, with atomized fuel vapor...yeah, it's going to happen.

And yes, those who've got shorter commutes are likely more susceptible to dilution issues. The key is to get the engine to full operating temp, and the ECU into closed loop control as quickly as possible.

It'd be nice for more of you to perform oil analysis, to collect more data, in order to establish a sort of "norm" for the S-G engines.
I'll send off a sample from my CX-5, and see how bad it is on the 2.0l.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A, Perf Pkg, Livernois Tuned
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/ Tech
2002 Dodge Neon SXT
1972 Chevrolet C-10, 350/350
1967 Buick Skylark 2DR, 300/300
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
I have a Blackstone return sample pack at the ready, inside my trunk...and the 2nd OCI, 2mos from this week will be due. We'll see. I'm curious about my current MoS2 levels as well. Probably a stickie on this thread is needed..
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
I agree with ExB5.

For those that care about injector health, and junk in the engine, the best medicine is to drive your car really hard at least once a week, even if it's only a 10 minute drive. Hit full throttle a few times, get the revs above 5k, get that engine hot like a self cleaning oven.

I think people that baby their cars 100% of the time: never more than half throttle, never more than 3k RPM are doing their engines a real disservice.
Oh crap - this is definately me, trying to get best MPG's possible. I don't think of my car as a sports car - I use it as a comfortable refined commuter. Doesn't the cold start high rev process do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page