LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have the INJEN CAI, and it made a SIGNIFICANT difference in the 1st and 2nd Gears of the car (more torque)! How much? I do not know b/c I do not have the $200+ to have it hooked to a DYNO and confirm. However I will echo other comments that the CAI is just part of the overall objective. I plan to do other mods like exhaust, sparks, and I've already replaced the oil with RedLine 0w-20 w/ MOLY b/c I want to enjoy my "Zoom-Zoom" for many years to come. The $200 is a small price to pay for the added performance you get from the CAI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OCTOGONPC For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (03-09-2014), nobouncecap (03-09-2014), snoWhite (03-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
If the intake was a $200 option from the dealer would you get it? I wouldn't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
cold air intake-imageuploadedbyag-free1394380648.463192.jpg I installed mine yesterday and I agree first and 2nd gear are better with the cai it seems more responsive when you give that extra push on the gas pedal. A bonus well it sounds amazing lol. I do agree the cai is not a super improvement but it is part of a greater puzzle!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannypr85 For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (03-09-2014), OCTOGONPC (03-09-2014), snoWhite (03-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveandthe6 View Post
If the intake was a $200 option from the dealer would you get it? I wouldn't.
If it was it would have a warranty and the $200 would be spread over the term of the auto loan (assuming not paying cash). Of course I would.

2015 Mazda6 Grand Touring.
2003 Mazda6 S Sedan. MTX.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavintech View Post
My point was that if you can afford a brand new Mazda6, $200 is nothing. Not if it is a worthy mod, but that it is very cheap and IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AN AFTERMARKET INTAKE $200 should be nothing to someone that can buy a brand new car that costs at least int he low $20,000's to the low $30,000's. I'm not saying that you should buy one or that it is worth it.

Moving further into your logic (that I cannot understand, even a little bit) I also don't agree with spending $200 to change the sound of my car, but you're willing to pay $50 to make your car SOUND faster? Talk about throwing money away! I wouldn't spend $20 for that.

Not to mention the $50 generic intake has a very real chance of taking away some of your car's performance/MPGs.

Just save your money and keep the factor intake.

I'm not sure why what I'm saying is hard to understand. I just paid 30 bucks for mud flaps, all they do is keep mud off the car. I'm about to about 40 bucks for door stills. Also about to put some led lights in. Also about to do some other little projects that will make my care mine but have very little with the overall performance or even protection. I mean, sure door stills plates are going to protect from boots but they won't protect the car from a collision as a brush guard would Even if I would replace the muffler it would be a chop shop job and not replacing the entire system like some producers provide because I'm not the guy who spends a ton of money to make a great car just slightly better. I'm the type of guy who spends what I need to get the car how I want it. To me getting an aftermarket CAI that will give slight mpg gain but a nice growl is worth 40-50 bucks but for others it isn't.

Going to my original point do any of you think those cai with the original posted link would fit?

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

BTW if anyone would read my original post I clearly stated that I acknowledge that a cai intake does effect your car in a positive way and I was trying to avoid a debate between whether or not a cai effects the car. Those debating that question, which I have tried to do, did not read my original post.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
To restate the old speedshop adage: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Check the $/hp difference for the turbo or V6 option over the base 4cyl on other cars and you will likely see that a ~10hp gain for $200 (i.e. $20/1 hp) is still very reasonable.

Last edited by solar365; 03-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf50racer View Post
And to further the argument that engineers design our engines to make the most power is also inaccurate. They are designed to meet a bunch of standards, and performance is only part of it.
DING DING DING we have a winner! As a Aerospace Design Engineer, it makes me happy to see somebody point this out. Yes engineering is the application of science, but common day to day reality is engineers are designing to requirements. Ultimate performance of the primary function is only one requirement!

If you don't believe this look at the pictures of the engine bay of the Mazda 6 racecar and the factory diesel for comparison. Both designed by Mazda Engineers, yet wildly different. The race car is designed to the requirements of the race class it is in. The production car is designed for low cost, and as a family sedan QUIETNESS.

When I look for ways to improve my Mazda 6 I'm not assuming the Mazda Engineers are idiots and I'm superior, I looking for places where my compromises are different than their compromises. I'm willing to pay extra and accept much louder volumes from the car than the average buyer would to gain 10 hp.

Said another way, the Mazda Design Engineer was gladly willing to trade an extra 10 hp and maybe even an mpg or 2 with the intake design to ensure that the intake noise wasn't a deal breaker for large swaths of the population and that the cost was on target.

I've looked at the intake from the throttle body out and I think it's entirely reasonable that it is holding back 5% of this car's power. That's my technical opinion of this design as an engineer. Doesn't mean I'm right, but there are independent dyno plots out there for our car that vouch for this that the naysayers have either not seen or are ignoring as somehow bogus.

Despite the air flow restriction of the design of the stock intake, it is still a decently efficient design for meeting the requirements it had to be designed to.

BTW this is not directed at the OP, but the "intake won't improve performance crowd."

Last edited by solar365; 03-10-2014 at 06:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar365 For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (03-11-2014), snoWhite (03-13-2014)
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
But if you decide to pull the trigger, ONLY use a reputable company, like CorkSport or Injen. These guys have engineered, tested, and mostly worked out all of the bugs for you. Look at the MAF issues these guys had, and now have worked out. That's why they cost what they do. You get what you pay for.
I believe I did address your original question. I would not buy just any intake.

SOLD 2014 Jet Black Mica iSport
SOLD 2015 Soul Red iTouring w/Sun & Bose
2016 Mazda CX-3 GT w/i-Activsense
2006 Suzuki C50C

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe I did address your original question. I would not buy just any intake.

I was thinking about that and was wondering because these are of later years Mazda how much different is the MAF and intakes. This is my first Mazda and I do want a little more zoom zoom feel to it. Of course with mine being a MT I do feel a little more pep. I will probably just wait till the injen CAI is cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page