Gas filling problem - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 3rd Generation (2013-Present)
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gas filling problem

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Normally, filling my gas tank is not an issue (unless I'm broke of course) but about a month ago I went and filled up my tank. After it clicked off and i removed the nozzle it spit back a decent amount of gas before I could close the cap. I though it was just a fluke, maybe an air pocket or something and it hadn't happened again until this evening. I was filling up at a Mobil station and it clicked off. I left the nozzle in and clicked it on and off really quickly (total was 46.75, I wanted an even 47). As soon as I removed the nozzle it spit back a decent amount of gas, more than that small on-off. I've also done this rounding method before without issues on this car and my previous car. Also note, the car still read it as a full tank with a range of 482 miles once I started it.

Any one else experience this or have any insight?
codedoc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codedoc View Post
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Normally, filling my gas tank is not an issue (unless I'm broke of course) but about a month ago I went and filled up my tank. After it clicked off and i removed the nozzle it spit back a decent amount of gas before I could close the cap. I though it was just a fluke, maybe an air pocket or something and it hadn't happened again until this evening. I was filling up at a Mobil station and it clicked off. I left the nozzle in and clicked it on and off really quickly (total was 46.75, I wanted an even 47). As soon as I removed the nozzle it spit back a decent amount of gas, more than that small on-off. I've also done this rounding method before without issues on this car and my previous car. Also note, the car still read it as a full tank with a range of 482 miles once I started it.

Any one else experience this or have any insight?
Probably a fluke. Must be the gas pump. Some pumps I notice do pump/fill gas strongly than others. Overachievers at pumping.

I do this rounding off too. I usually add another 1/2 gallon or so after gas nozzle off click, none over 1gal to round. Once I did over a full gal addition after off click and it spilt fuel, gobs full. After that overfuel mishap..I only add less of a gal to round. I also let the nozzle sit a few seconds after off click, to let things settle down. No spills, no gas burps since.

Last edited by ExB5; 10-27-2013 at 12:15 PM.
ExB5 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I always hold the Pump handle about 3/4 while feuling... IDK why, I think it is because I think they are trying to rip me off ???? Like I am not getting the amount of gas that the display is spitting out...Can't explain it.... just a habit. But that said, as soon as I hear the click - Done, no rounding, just pull the pump out. Never had an issue - Have read, on new cars not a good idea to overfill. Just my opinion, but try it. See if you have same results. Good Luck.
VWGTI123 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess for now I'll just have to keep an eye on it. If it happens again I'll try to find the cause of it.

Very weird this happens on this car and my crappy old car never had an issue. Ah well, such is life.
codedoc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via MSN to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via Yahoo to LapisLazuli6

You're not suppose to keep choking gas into the vehicle after the pump cuts off. That may be why the car is 'spitting' it back at you...

- 13 Honda Accord EX-L Obsidian Blue - purchased 4/23/13

- 10 Acura TSX non-Tech Grigio Metallic - traded @ 32k miles.. lost interest

- 06 Redfire 6i Sport - traded @ 102,611 miles, trouble-free motoring and fun!
LapisLazuli6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I've had similar problems a couple times as well. I use to always 'top off' the tank in my 2010 Mazda 3. I usually squeezed in an extra TWO full gallons once the pump auto shutoff.

Now with the new 6 I've had it over flow twice. Once when trying to 'top it off'. I maybe got an extra gallon or so before it started gushing, and it happened one time during the auto shut-off. It didn't gush out, but when I removed the nozzled, I lost a bit of excess that poured out.
MazdaDL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I usually never overfilled previous cars either because I have read numerous sources that say it's waste of money because of newer vapor catchers that gas stations have. However, I have noticed that the automatic click seems to happen very early on the 2014 Mazda 6.

Several times, I had it automatically click at just over 13 gallons after running the car with the Low Fuel Warning for quite some time. Yet when I added about 3/4 more of a gallon, It started gushing out when I pulled the pump out, so I was confused. So either this car has a very conservative reserve level, or the shape of the tank or conduit is designed in a way that confuses pumps into thinking it's full.

Since that incident, I just fill it to the click and deal wiith the fact that I may have to fill up a dozen or so miles sooner.

Previous Mazdas
2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT
Sunlight Silver

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT
Velocity Red

2003 Mazda6 Sport V6
Silver

1996 Mazda MX-6 V6
Emerald Green
mazda6guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Yes, this car has a very conservative reserve level. I've gone 50 miles past 0 once, but now I just fill it up ~0.
jpc44tka is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

50 miles passed 0? Your talking the gauge said "0 miles until empty?"
MazdaDL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default Me too

Back to the original topic, I used to fill past the auto shut-off on my previous car (1999 Passat V6) which eventually caused problems with the EVAP system. When you overfill, some of it ends up in the charcoal canister. So with my Mazda I have never done so. I pump until the auto shut off, wait 5 seconds and slowly remove the nozzle. Yet on 2-3 occasions the gas has come burping out on to the ground (different gas stations) seems like about 1/2 cup worth. Doesn't seem right to me and shouldn't happen at all when you play by the rules. Anyone else besides the OP with this experience?
Westwood1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.