post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smell from engine?

Just picked up the Touring I had reserved 2 weeks ago. As soon as I got out of the car after the drive home (20 mins, driving like an old lady), I noticed a smell coming out of the hood. It smelled like something was burning, the kind you get when something has been charred or burned to ashes. Is that normal during break in or do I have to stop by the dealership ASAP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Brand new cars do weird things, maybe even had an overfill of a fluid spilling onto the engine. Did you physically look under the hood?

P.S. The exhaust will smell funny for the first few thousand miles after it gets hot from new cats. Almost like oil burning and it will be obvious all around the car.

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
Just picked up the Touring I had reserved 2 weeks ago. As soon as I got out of the car after the drive home (20 mins, driving like an old lady), I noticed a smell coming out of the hood. It smelled like something was burning, the kind you get when something has been charred or burned to ashes. Is that normal during break in or do I have to stop by the dealership ASAP?
I noticed that too after my test drive. I shrugged it off since we opened the hood after the test drive and I looked under the hood before the test drive for the altima/accord.

Maybe it really does smell worse, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
Brand new cars do weird things, maybe even had an overfill of a fluid spilling onto the engine. Did you physically look under the hood?

P.S. The exhaust will smell funny for the first few thousand miles after it gets hot from new cats. Almost like oil burning and it will be obvious all around the car.
I did not look under the hood. The smell was obvious as soon as I opened the door to get out. Came back an hour later to check and it was gone.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is completely normal. When I was getting ready to take the car home from the dealership with 3 miles on the odo, the salesmen told be don't be worried if you smell this burning smell. He told me that since these are built japan, mazda puts on preservation/anti corrosion oil for the shipment over the pacific for you guess it corrosion protection from the salty air. So for the 1st 100 miles or so you will smell the oil getting burned off. When i got home after 40 miles i saw light smoke coming from the hood and warm brakes , and smelled it thru the air vents when stationary. after a few more days it burned off and no more smell

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I now have 48900 miles on my 2015 Mazda 6 and that burning smell still happens. Spoke to Mazda when I bought it brand new and they said it was probably just the engine breaking in. Well, it's not the engine breaking in. Mazda has no answer for that smell that apparently most owners are having issues with. This will be my last Mazda. I just hope I'm not breathing in anything harmful!
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Miguel Carballido For This Un-useful Post:
vintage42 (02-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page