Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (http://forum.mazda6club.com/)
-   Mazda 6 3rd Generation (2013-Present) (http://forum.mazda6club.com/313-mazda-6-3rd-generation-2013-present/)
-   -   2015 Mazda 6? (http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6-3rd-generation-2013-present/260236-2015-mazda-6-a.html)

joebrez 05-22-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bziko98 (Post 3528814)
there was no 2nd gen. MS6 overseas. the only thing close to it was the atenza mps concept which never went into production.

http://img01.carview.co.jp/cvmateria..._ms_c/01_l.jpg

My bad, I thought it actually was sold. I know the US didn't get the same 6 as the rest if the world did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

joebrez 05-22-2013 02:36 PM

Without Mazda having Ford as a backer, it cannot afford to gamble that much. Like I mentioned before, as a new car the MS6 was a failure sales wise. It's a niche market. It's not hardcore like an Evo or STI, yet doesn't have the "brand" competitiveness as the S4. Other than the Legacy GT, what was its competitor? Really none. Hence the tough sales numbers. They are a great pickup on the used market though.
My personal opinion is we'll get a Sky-d variant loaded with a MTX and bam...MS6.

Kliesen89 05-22-2013 02:37 PM

I don't think there will be a need for a Mazda with more 350 hp now especially considering how light their bodies/chassis/suspension are. Even the thought of a the new 3 with the 2.5 at 184hp is tempting let alone a MS3 with 260hp or a MS6 with 300hp. Personally it'd do them good to have a the 2.0 at 155hp, the 2.5 at 200hp then jump to a turbo 4 with 260+ hp for MS3/MS6 application.

AlikaMasika6 05-22-2013 02:42 PM

If anything those who would buy the MS6 are going to be Mazda enthusiasts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

joebrez 05-22-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlikaMasika6 (Post 3528858)
If anything those who would buy the MS6 are going to be Mazda enthusiasts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

What the previous MS6 proved is there aren't 5000 of us willing/able to spend 30k on a car...

Jacob13 05-22-2013 05:32 PM

It does seem like there is a void right now in the mid size sedan market. There is no true driver oriented high performance sedan at a price point below the Germans. Honda Accord V6 is a cruiser with automatic transmission and numb steering. Other V6 or turbo 4 (Fusion 2.0T, Sonata, etc) sedans are pretty much the same, mostly optimized for cruising and good fuel economy. You have to move up to BMW 3-series or Audi A4 to get there. A well equipped car in that class will easily cost $40-50K though. I wish Ford made a "SHO" AWD Fusion with a sport tuned suspension, tuned 2.0L Ecoboost engine, and nice semi-auto or manual transmission. Sell a well equipped model for 30-33K and it will easily undercut the Germans, but I doubt Ford has the wisdom to build such a car. It seems like VW Jetta GLI is the closest thing to what many expect from a MazdaSpeed6, though it's a bit smaller and VW/Audi unreliability is becoming legendary.

Personally, I doubt there will be any ground breaking changes in 2015, besides the diesel engines and additions/deletions of some minor details. If you don't care for the diesel, but the car now.

davidbrandi05 05-22-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebrez (Post 3528863)
What the previous MS6 proved is there aren't 5000 of us willing/able to spend 30k on a car...

If they announced it soon, I could start saving now! Lol

joebrez 05-22-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob13 (Post 3528901)
It does seem like there is a void right now in the mid size sedan market. There is no true driver oriented high performance sedan at a price point below the Germans. Honda Accord V6 is a cruiser with automatic transmission and numb steering. Other V6 or turbo 4 (Fusion 2.0T, Sonata, etc) sedans are pretty much the same, mostly optimized for cruising and good fuel economy. You have to move up to BMW 3-series or Audi A4 to get there. A well equipped car in that class will easily cost $40-50K though. I wish Ford made a "SHO" AWD Fusion with a sport tuned suspension, tuned 2.0L Ecoboost engine, and nice semi-auto or manual transmission. Sell a well equipped model for 30-33K and it will easily undercut the Germans, but I doubt Ford has the wisdom to build such a car. It seems like VW Jetta GLI is the closest thing to what many expect from a MazdaSpeed6, though it's a bit smaller and VW/Audi unreliability is becoming legendary.

Personally, I doubt there will be any ground breaking changes in 2015, besides the diesel engines and additions/deletions of some minor details. If you don't care for the diesel, but the car now.

I completely agree. If the diesel doesn't significantly improve the power, the 6 will drop off the list. I drove a touring MTX and compared to the 6s MTX I drive now, it was very gutless.

The Regal GS MTX (Opel Insignia) is quickly rising to the top of the list.

ManMachine 05-22-2013 06:26 PM

IMO a midsize performance sedan is just not something most people are interested in. People want performance in sports cars and coupes, and maybe in small hatchbacks, but just not midsize sedans. M5 and RS6 are quite rare. M3 sedans don't sell that well.

But perhaps most important, a FWD sedan isn't going to be high performance no matter what. You can put AWD on it, but that's a very small market with the likes of Acura TL-SHAWD, and Mazda isn't known for AWD.

Jacob13 05-22-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebrez (Post 3528911)
I completely agree. If the diesel doesn't significantly improve the power, the 6 will drop off the list. I drove a touring MTX and compared to the 6s MTX I drive now, it was very gutless.

The Regal GS MTX (Opel Insignia) is quickly rising to the top of the list.

Manufacturer's estimated 0-60 time with diesel is 8.4 seconds. Sounds quick, but probably not in the league with cars like Camcord V6 or Fusion 2.0T. So, what is it good for? I don't know. Perhaps it's a nicer engine to pair with automatic transmission as the low end torque will give more power for say overtaking without forcing a transmission downshift. It may also be good for driving in high altitude areas, where naturally aspirated engines can lose quite a bit of power due to thinner air. Considering the complexity of diesel engine, additional up-front cost, and that diesel costs about 10% more than petrol fuel, I am not excited about it yet.