LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
Message for Tickerguy

So, I got a response from Meguiar. They claim is just a polymer coating. Who is right, you or them? Where did you come up with the idea that it removes clear coat? Where did you read or hear it?

Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating is a polymer based coating, and can be applied to new headlights or headlights that have been restored. For new headlights, the use of our Keep Clear Headlight Coating will protect the factory coating on the headlight, helping to prevent it from oxidizing. (this is why headlights turn yellow & oxidized, because the factory coating on the exterior of the headlight assembly wears down from elements of the environment like UV Rays) On restored headlights, since little or none of the original protective coating is left behind after most restoration processes , Keep Clear Headlight Coating does jus that, provide a protective coating so they do not revert back to being yellowed & oxidized. We recommend taping off & protecting the paint & other surfaces surrounding the headlight assembly, because Keep Clear Headlight Coating can leave shiny streaks & an uneven appearance if it gets on a surface other than the headlight..
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Mazda6Suspension For This Un-useful Post:
zPacKRat (06-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,789 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
I found your thread, Cogos.

Let me get this straight..... You created a thread on here: "Headlight Restoration is a Scam" (Link) in which you complain about how people pay too much to have their headlights restored, etc, etc. This resulted in a few words of advice from a VERY knowledgable and respected member of this forum (tickerguy) about avoiding your clear coat with plastic-cleaners, specifically when using a buffer (Good Advice )

You then took his words to heart and created a thread on the Meguiar's forum titled "Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating is a MISLEADING product." (Link) where you call them out on their product. Only to be given a response from one of their members that ALSO tells you to be careful of getting it on the clear coat.

Because of their response, you come back to our forum and create this thread trying to call out tickerguy publicly. You really do enjoy trolling and wasting people's time, huh? Leaving a plastics cleaner on your clear coat is not going to do it any good. Period.
idrive and Chazzy J like this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Mazda6Suspension is an expert now. He watched a youtube video.

@Mazda6Suspension when you want to send somebody a message you send them a message, private message, not post a new thread. I'm sure you know how it works, just like the one I sent you asking you to please not post in my build thread which you obviously chose to ignore.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm not calling him out. I just want an explanation as to why he believes it damages paint clear coat and where he got this information.
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Mazda6Suspension For This Un-useful Post:
zPacKRat (06-18-2018)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Again this is not a plastic cleaner. The product I'm talking about is supposed to be a COATING that protects the headlights from uv damage. This is the product. No it's not a cleaner. It's not a buffer. It's not a poliser or haze removing product. It is supposed to be protective product.

This is the product that Tickerguy claimed that it doesn't protect but actually removes clear coat and material from the headlights which is why they stay clear for 1 year.

Maybe Tickerguy is confusing this product with something else, which is why I asked him where is the proof

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
zPacKRat (06-18-2018)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
The product I'm talking about is a cleaner/"restorer", and it works quite well. I've used it on my Suburban's headlights a couple of times.

But I take them out of the truck before doing it, because I know what's in there. Indeed, a suitable alternative product is the Novus plastic polishes, which also work quite well -- and will trash your clearcoat as well if you get it on there and buff it off.

As for so-called "sealers" and "protectants", they're worthless in this application -- just as they are on clearcoat. They do zippity dooda (other than drain your wallet) as the actual problem is UV damage and you can't prevent the UV from getting to the plastic without covering it (which makes a headlight rather pointless, yes?) Now if you were to cover the headlights with some sort of material (e.g. fabric) when not in use and the car is outside (e.g. when not being driven so the DRLs are not on) THAT would help -- quite a bit, in fact, if you could maintain some spacing (so heating was not a factor -- plastics can also be damaged by heat!)

This is the stuff I'm talking about -- it's a polish, and works well. Just remove the headlight before using it so you don't get it on your paint.

Sunscreen works because your skin is porous to a degree. Plastics are not. Porous synthetics (think vinyl seats to some degree) can be helped SOMEWHAT, and the best stuff I've found is called "303". Boat-owners love the stuff but having had a lot of experience with things out in the Florida sun (including boats) where both soft and hard goods are involved I'm very confident in saying that only an actual cover does anything worthwhile at all -- other than sucking money out of your bank account, which all those products do quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	222321  

Last edited by tickerguy; 06-18-2018 at 11:47 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

This happens because you confused the products, my man. Anyways, I agree with you. These sealants and coatings work for paint, but won't do much for the plastics. It may help a little. I'm still gonna put them though and this meguiar coating only costs $8 and gives you 2 or 3 applications. Same reason why I don't use those protective films, it won't really do much, is all placebo. And yes, I thought about covering the headlights with something fabric when not in use, but I don't know what to use.

A car cover may help, but it'd be a pain in the ass to put on every day. Not to mention as you said, if the fabric is too close to the headlights, it will produce more heat to them which may cause them to micro crack, this is exactly what has happened to many people who use protective films

It sucks for us peasants without garages.

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-19-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page