thinking about plasti dipping my wheels - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
No way man. Ghetto mod! Who dips anything on cars these days 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, you're telling me... my week long journey, to dip my wheels, was a.... waste? All for my car to become ghetto???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsavvy View Post
So, you're telling me... my week long journey, to dip my wheels, was a.... waste? All for my car to become ghetto???

I was being sarcastic. Iím a huge fan of dip.

My car is getting dipped again, my wife car is dipped.

I actual made a good amount of friends through my dip jobs.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. Iím a huge fan of dip.

My car is getting dipped again, my wife car is dipped.

I actual made a good amount of friends through my dip jobs.

Yea I know, I was just messing around lol. I think after my dip starts to come off on more than one wheel I might just take it off all of them and not re-dip them, not sure yet. But, I am getting some new wheels here soon, so I'll probably just keep re-dipping my current set and use them as my winter setup.

Cars looking wild btw!
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
Again nobody is blaming the product and I've seen some nice dips online, but I've never seen those nice dips up close. I'm sure they don't look as great as pic taken 50 feet away.

Plasti dip can look decent if you are an expert at application and have the proper conditions to do the job. My application was fine. I applied at the same distance as fonz. I even wore a full mask that I bought on Amazon before unlike other applicators on YouTube who breath in all that shit. And yeah it is harmful.

I waited time chronometer 10 minutes between coats because this is what everyone recommended. I applied 3 coats of meguiar hot rims to super clean the wheels, then use meguiar shampoo to clean them again, dry with micro towel again, then clean with alcohol 2 times.

My preparation was not lacking. I did the research on how to do it. The weather, the outside humidity is what messed me up. It is 90 degree around here with rain and humidity. I live in an apartment and don't have garage which I'm sure those plasti dip experts that charge $75 per wheel do

I didn't take the wheels off the car, but I covered with plastic bag, covered the stem and removed the center caps, applied tire shine. I did everything the bicep fonz recommended

Since I don't have a garage to do it and I don't know a calcanous guy to do it for me, I'm not trying again

Not paying $300 for plasti dip that's too much for something temporary. Maybe if it comes with lifetime warranty but I'm sure it doesn't

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-10-2018 at 06:52 AM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
Anyway, at least I tried. I got my money back and didn't lose anything except time
Why did you get your money back? It wasn't the products fault.. it was completely yours.

Quote:
Again nobody is blaming the product and I've seen some nice dips online, but I've never seen those nice dips up close. I'm sure they don't look as great as pic taken 50 feet away.

Plasti dip can look decent if you are an expert at application and have the proper conditions to do the job. My application was fine. I applied at the same distance as fonz. I even wore a full mask that I bought on Amazon before unlike other applicators on YouTube who breath in all that shit. And yeah it is harmful.

I waited time chronometer 10 minutes between coats because this is what everyone recommended. I applied 3 coats of meguiar hot rims to super clean the wheels, then use meguiar shampoo to clean them again, dry with micro towel again, then clean with alcohol 2 times.

My preparation was not lacking. I did the research on how to do it. The weather, the outside humidity is what messed me up. It is 90 degree around here with rain and humidity. I live in an apartment and don't have garage which I'm sure those plasti dip experts that charge $75 per wheel do

I didn't take the wheels off the car, but I covered with plastic bag, covered the stem and removed the center caps, applied tire shine. I did everything the bicep fonz recommended

Since I don't have a garage to do it and I don't know a calcanous guy to do it for me, I'm not trying again

Not paying $300 for plasti dip that's too much for something temporary. Maybe if it comes with lifetime warranty but I'm sure it doesn't
- "I'm not blaming the product"... no, we're blaming your execution... but you're an expert as you did the research.

"I researched and prepped everything" you're telling us your not smart enough to not try and apply it when it's 90% humidity and going to rain? Gtfo! Application of your expertise is an asset to this forum... of what not to do.

Seiya car in the middle of doing his plasti dip:

There's nothing in my research that says not to do it during a rain or flood... should work fine!
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
yungsavvy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 GT Reflex Blue Mica
Black Chrome 19" Stock Wheels
Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 30% * Air Blue 80 Windshield Tint
OEM Splash Guards
AIO Tweaks
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust & NF210 Lowering Springs
Koni FSD Shocks / Struts
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
Why did you get your money back? It wasn't the products fault.. it was completely yours.

- "I'm not blaming the product"... no, we're blaming your execution... but you're an expert as you did the research.

"I researched and prepped everything" you're telling us your not smart enough to not try and apply it when it's 90% humidity and going to rain? Gtfo! Application of your expertise is an asset to this forum... of what not to do.

Seiya car in the middle of doing his plasti dip:

There's nothing in my research that says not to do it during a rain or flood... should work fine!
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Because I only used one can and the other 4 cans I didn't touch. Therefore, I'm eligible to return items that I haven't used. I bought from Walmart where you can return almost anything.

I never said I returned them because the product was defective. I simply have no need for them, changed my mind. The product doesn't have to be defective to be returned.

The weather didn't say anything about rain. I figured it wouldn't affect it much since I've seen the fonz do it outside but then again, they are pushing products in people's throats.

Surpringly. The dipyourcar base is not that far from my area. I've been there before and even saw their shop from outside, is a tiny ass garage and office. The back of the garage, not the greatest area.

Gotta give them props though, they made a fortune using other people's desire to mod their cars for cheap. They even have videos saying how much better than paint and vinyl and why plasti dip doesn't suck lol

I'm sure if I take my car to them, they would want $100 per wheel minimum

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-10-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Good way to keep overhead down. Smaller space = less rent.

They have a whole shipping warehouse that deals with their bulk items and that smaller store unit.

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Good way to keep overhead down. Smaller space = less rent.

They have a whole shipping warehouse that deals with their bulk items and that smaller store unit.

They are obviously doing things right lol that's just their office where they make videos. I've seen the back of it. Unfortunately, it is their success which caused many installers to use their logo to mark up their prices and make a higher profit.

dipyourcar.com certified installer

In reality, this doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean the installer will do a flawless job. All it means is partnership. Fonzi and dipyourcar get a commission or something from people who use their certification logo. They all "win" except the average joe consumer lol

$75 for each wheel is too much, especially when 5 cans cost $30.

Cost of labor, but in reality, cleaning the wheels is super easy. The best wheel cleaner is Meguiar hot rims. Used that twice on the wheels and it will leave them 99% clean, then use some alcohol, which is what $1? lol I can do this is 15 minutes.

The application is also fairly simple, there is no real demanding physical labor here. They can jack up the car and remove the tires instantly with those mechanic jacks and jack stands. There is no real masking work since they are taking the wheels off the car, which makes it super easy. What you are really paying for is, the owner's Mercedes, the employees making $10 an hour, the garage rent, their mechanic equipment, fonzi's gym membership (since they are partnered with dipyourcar)

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-10-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
They are obviously doing things right lol that's just their office where they make videos. I've seen the back of it. Unfortunately, it is their success which caused many installers to use their logo to mark up their prices and make a higher profit.

dipyourcar.com certified installer

In reality, this doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean the installer will do a flawless job. All it means is partnership. Fonzi and dipyourcar get a commission or something from people who use their certification logo. They all "win" except the average joe consumer lol

$75 for each wheel is too much, especially when 5 cans cost $30.

Cost of labor, but in reality, cleaning the wheels is super easy. The best wheel cleaner is Meguiar hot rims. Used that twice on the wheels and it will leave them 99% clean, then use some alcohol, which is what $1? lol I can do this is 15 minutes.

The application is also fairly simple, there is no real demanding physical labor here. They can jack up the car and remove the tires instantly with those mechanic jacks and jack stands. There is no real masking work since they are taking the wheels off the car, which makes it super easy. What you are really paying for is, the owner's Mercedes, the employees making $10 an hour, the garage rent, their mechanic equipment, fonzi's gym membership (since they are partnered with dipyourcar)

Welcome to business 101. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page