What is the point of the TPMS on the mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 39 Times in 32 Posts
What is the point of the TPMS on the mazda 6

It seems like the most pointless TPMS ever. It tells you when your tire pressure is low, that's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't tell you which tire is lower than 35psi. It doesn't tell you how much lower than 35psi the tires are. More importantly, how low does the psi have to get for this tire pressure light to pop up. No mention of that either.

The only possible benefit is that if you hit a nail or something, that light would pop up instantly, so you would suspect a nail and can quickly look for it, have it patched up.

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
I agree, actually!

The TPMS was the governments and automakers response to the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco, and unlike certain systems (like GM's, that gives you the exact pressure at all 4 wheels), Mazda (and others) went the less-expensive route and uses a passive system that's much less accurate (and useful).

Having said that, based on past experience, I've found the TPMS light going on when one tire (or more) gets below approx. 24-26 psi. And yes, it does help to warn of an impending flat if a tire develops a slow leak due to a puncture.

But it's usefulness only goes that far...

Had everyone followed the rule of checking tire pressures in ALL tires at least once per month (including the spare), we probably wouldn't have to worry about the damn TPMS light!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Well it already helped me out after just few months of ownership, so I don't have a problem with it. Hit a pothole and it looked OK (no damage to the rim) but was keeping an eye on it, when on the 3rd day the light came on my way to work and saw that it since developed a bubble. The warning light of it being down ~10lbs allowed me time to get some air and bring it in to get replaced. It drove fine so probably wouldn't have known until it was too late and forced to put on my spare - I'm good with it as is but could be improved with showing exact pressures.
idrive likes this.

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
If you weren't aware, the Mazda system works by comparing wheel rotation speeds via the ABS sensor; a flat tire has a smaller diameter.

Assumedly, it's cheaper, lighter, and simpler. For certain, it lacks the ability to specifically identify the problem corner.

I drove a Ford Escape last weekend with (assumedly) a similar system. Light went off - Sunday morning, enroute to a nice hike outside of town. Nothing felt amiss, nothing looked amiss.

On the way back, found a Jiffy Lube with a tire gauge. Three were right on 35, with the right rear at 30.

Drove to the airport with no issues. But, it sure would have been nice to know 1) which tire was low, and 2) how low it was.

-
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
It seems like the most pointless TPMS ever. It tells you when your tire pressure is low, that's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't tell you which tire is lower than 35psi. It doesn't tell you how much lower than 35psi the tires are. More importantly, how low does the psi have to get for this tire pressure light to pop up. No mention of that either.

The only possible benefit is that if you hit a nail or something, that light would pop up instantly, so you would suspect a nail and can quickly look for it, have it patched up.
Hasn't that tire pressure gauge you ordered and carry in your car showed up yet or haven't you figured out how to use it.

There are many item that Mazda could "upgrade". For every "upgrade" the price "upgrades" as well. Spend 175K on your next car and you will have everything you can imagine and more.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You will be surprised how many people drive with less than 20psi in their tires unknowingly and wonder why their tire popped on the side of the road. It must be a defective tire! Unfortunately, most of us now have the misfortune of it being standard on every car now.

TPMS lights come on when the air pressure is below 25% of what your door placard recommends. The effectiveness of your TPMS is based on the way the manufacturer implemented the TPMS system on the car. Unfortunately for us, Mazda did not give us a better system than what we had with that silly light.

Better implemented systems can give you the actual PSI measurement, location in the wheel, and even display the recommended tire pressure. The Mazda system, as stated above is an indirect system and there are no actual sensors in the wheel at all. Tire pressure is measured via the number of revolutions the wheel spins through a sensor in the ABS system.

Indirect systems are the cheapest option and most ineffective. If all your tires are at 20psi, you will never know because those tires will be spinning at the same rate and have the same diameter. The TPMS light may not even come on.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I find no problem with the TPMS on my 6. The other day it went off and pulled over to find out that all my tires were at 41 PSI due to the wild swing of weather. I bled them off 6 PSI, reset the TPMS and I was good to go. It also went off once in when we hit a cold snap and my pressure ended up being 27 PSI all around.

Better question might be "Why are you constantly bitching about a Mazda 6 yet you're still here and still owning one?"
Dougspeed likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenyia View Post
The Mazda system, as stated above is an indirect system and there are no actual sensors in the wheel at all. Tire pressure is measured via the number of revolutions the wheel spins through a sensor in the ABS system.
Sorry Folks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Re...sAAOSw9OFZJzCc

I love people that spew crap they no nothing about

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
The Following User Says NO Thank You to idrive For This Un-useful Post:
LIMazda6 (06-07-2018)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Sorry Folks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Re...sAAOSw9OFZJzCc

I love people that spew crap they no nothing about
Those sensors are for 2nd gen and late 2008 1st gen Mazda's. 3rd gen DOES NOT have those tpms sensors inside the wheels as you have posted.

So keenyia is correct.

As stated:
The 2014 uses indirect measuring of the tire pressure via the wheel speed sensors. A flat tire has a smaller radius than an inflated tire and so will spin faster than the other three tires, which the computer detects and sets the TPMS light on.

The recall was for the unusual condition where all 4 tires lose pressure, so they spin at the same speed, thereby not setting a tpms light. The recall addressed that rare occurrence via a software update.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Zeffer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 GT Reflex Blue Mica
Black Chrome 19" Stock Wheels
Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 30% * Air Blue 80 Windshield Tint
OEM Splash Guards
AIO Tweaks
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust & NF210 Lowering Springs
Koni FSD Shocks / Struts

Last edited by toy4x; 06-07-2018 at 01:25 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
After having a GM car with a great TPMS system, It is going to take some getting used to the inferior system on the Mazda.
I am big believer in proper air pressure and that changes with the temperature and driving speed. I have been spoiled with just pushing a button and seeing the exact psi on every tire with location indicator. I actually check it each time I get in car, because it is so easy to do. It is even neat to see the psi raise from a cold start to a warm/hot tire after getting up to highway speed.
Not saying that the Mazda version is bad, just that if you have ever experienced the TPMS on a GM auto, you would regret that Mazda didn’t use the same.
Oh well, with my new Signature 6 coming in July, I will need to dig my old tire gauge out of the tool box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page