Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 Sport cargo net

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  eran says 
#1 ·
According to an ebay ad I saw for the cargo net for my 2016 Sport, there has to be some drilling done to put the anchors for the net into. What is it that has to be drilled to put the anchors in?:surprise:

#2 ·
Is it a genuine Mazda net? There are anchors that need to be installed to hook the net onto, which will, in some cases, require drilling of the plastic interior trim to access the holes in which the bolts need to go. A template should be provided with the parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
I installed the OEM net myself in my 2016 GT. You have to remove the plastic trim in the trunk and drill out the *metal* holes where the plastic trim clips hold the trim in place. You install a threaded grommet, install the trim piece on top of it, and then it gets held in by the net anchors that you twist in.

IMO this is a stupid design. For my Hondas in the 80s and early 90s, you would pop a trim clip, and thread the anchors right in. Every car since (Mazda, Honda, Toyota, ...) you have to drill out the hole to add a grommet. Why the hell would they change that? / soapbox

It is a fairly easy install. The top trunk trim pieces are easy to pop out but the bottom piece where the trunk latch was tricky. You have to pull it straight UP. Once the trim is out, you have easy access to the holes. Be careful not to lean too hard into the drill because you can drill into the tail light assy. (Again, seriously . . . . just give us thicker anchors to thread in!) Also be careful not to bore out the hole too big or the grommet won't fit snugly. It helps to have metal drill bits and a file. The hole will be jagged an you'll want to clean it up.

#7 ·
It is a dumb design but it ends up being just a minor hassle. Took me 20 minutes. You're drilling to widen existing holes so they can hold the anchors instead of the push in clips. Just make sure you have a 1/2 inch drill bit and you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.