Zeffer's Product Review: iJDMTOY LED DRL Fog Light Housings - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Zeffer's Product Review: iJDMTOY LED DRL Fog Light Housings

iJDMTOY LED DRL Fog Light Housings

What is it?
iJDMTOY is a California-based company specializing in lighting accessories. This product is the plastic fog light housing with attached DRLs. It comes with a wiring harness and magic silver box.

What's nice?
Overall, fit and finish aren't too shabby. The color is a half white, half blueish white color. I would pin it around 5500k if I had to guess. The plastic housings fit perfectly where the old OEM housings go, and the OEM foglights fit snug in the iJDMTOY housings. The DRLs are bright and visible, and add a very nice look to the car compared to the dingy stock yellow low power high beam DRLs. The DRLs also come with a dimmer wire, such that they're not always obscenely bright, such as at night. If one doesn't like this specific style, I believe they offer two or three other styles on their sight. Some come with and without fogs.

What's not nice?
Packaging was so so. Mine arrived damaged. There are small, inner cracks in the glass of the LEDs. One has to be really close to notice them, but they're there. This is a common occurrence based on my research. The color on mine isn't 100% even. It's whiter towards the bottom, and blue-white towards the top. Not really a big deal.

Ease of install:
These weren't too bad to install. Car in the air, pop off the mud guard plastics, replace housing, etc etc. Nothing over the top. Wiring is easy. I mounted the magic silver box on the frame, in front of the intake, and ran the wires down and around out of the way. There are connectors that meet with the DRLs themselves. There is plenty of wire to work with. From there, it's a matter of add-a-fuse onto a specific fuse (I think IGN 1 or something, don't quote me on it) for constant, always-on power when the car is running.

Overall, I like these. They're a flavorful mod that'll make your 6 stand out in a crowd, in traffic, and especially at night. I would recommend these to a friend.

The lights are on in the first picture:

GerryB and kufliclicks like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Thank for the review! I'm glad you've had good luck with these. They are a decent product and a neat idea.

I had trouble, unfortunately, getting mine to fit properly. The LED tube protruded beyond the edge of the bezel and prevented the upper two clips from latching into my bumper. There were gaps between the bumper and the fog/DRL bezel. These were not too noticeable...until you turned on the LED's - then the gaps were back-lit from inside and really unattractive. I ended up sealing both bezels to the bumper cover with a thin bead of black RTV. That worked ok.

I have subsequently removed these from my car, purely for personal esthetic reasons. I didn't like the color contrast between the blue/white LED and my incandescent head/fog lights. It was not a problem with the product...it was just me.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
You're welcome for the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcme0557 View Post
I didn't like the color contrast between the blue/white LED and my incandescent head/fog lights. It was not a problem with the product...it was just me.
As far as contrast, I agree. Mine are a white-blue. I want to suggest a 5500k-6000k color. My 5000k LED switchback turn signals are too white by comparison. Going to try the 6000k switchbacks to see if they match better. But my headlights are 4000k, LEDs 5000k, and DRLs pry 6000k+!!! At least you know who it is coming down the road.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I will get mine in a couple months, shipping overseas by ship, will post picks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Zeffer you keep my head spinning with all these mods, in a good way. I would like something in the fog light area for asthetics, my last car had factory fog lights and they were useless. Thanks for the review.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
So question for you; If I were to buy these (sport model owner) would I be able to buy the fog lights separate? I don't have to buy fog lights already in a bezel? I realize I still need to buy the stalk for the steering column.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf View Post
So question for you; If I were to buy these (sport model owner) would I be able to buy the fog lights separate? I don't have to buy fog lights already in a bezel? I realize I still need to buy the stalk for the steering column.
The DRLs are just the housings. I believe there may be some options on their site that come with fog lights. Else, you'll need factory fog lights, stalk, and other install accessories. Or, perhaps brake ducts where the holes are! Many possibilities.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Garage
OK, I had a few drinks, and worked up the courage to order it, I'll post pictures when I install them.
Zeffer and jcme0557 like this.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:22 PM

Garage
Zeffer, are you running yours at full brightness, or dimmed? Worried these might be too bright at night, I don't wanna be a distraction.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Full brightness, but that probably makes me an asshole. I'd definitely say they should be dimmed at night, and it's one of those things on my list of things to do.
Bluewolf likes this.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page