Official MSDS Header Group Buy - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Official MSDS Header Group Buy

Welcome to the official MSDS Header Group Buy!

Please note, this GB is NOT headed by me. Please contact @WeakSauce in regards to any questions you may have.

We have organized this 30 day GB for MSDS headers for this forum, and hope to see much interest on this limited-time deal! This buy is open to all forum members and guests.

The current discount is $699.00 for the v6 header and $259.00 for the 4 cyl header. To redeem said discount, we must have a minimum of 5 buyers. Order will be built per the total group buy. Process time is 14 business days and 5 business days transit time. Sales tax and freight/INS fees are not included (out of California there will be no sales tax).

These are lowered from the MSRP of $745.00 and $300.00, respectively. If we are able to get 15 buyers, MSDS will offer another discount, so lets make it happen!

When ordering, please list your name, vehicle year and engine size.
Ex:
WeakSauce, 2003 Mazda 6i
4 cyl

This makes it much easier to add people to the list. Thanks in advance!

Group Buy List

4 cylinder
1) WeakSauce, 2003 6i
2) Domination66, 2003 6i
3) Isnt, 2004 6i
4) Jmoses19, 2006 6i
5) dazelburg, 2007 6i
6) jlowery, 2006 6i

6 cylinder 2003-2005
1) Harlem6s, 2004 V6

6 cylinder 2006-2008
1)

MSDS Headers & Me: Why do I want one?

Headers have always been used for performance through-out motor-cross history. By increasing the breath-ability of engines and allowing a stronger "exhale", these headers allow your engines to perform at a much more efficient rate.

For you v6 owners out there, this is an especially valuable mod. OEM Mazda 6 headers on the 6s have had an infamous problem with their design. They have been known to deteriorate over time, and the pieces of broken/disintegrated header will mix back into the engine, causing serious problems and ultimately, engine failure.
These headers will not only allow you to do some maintenance, but they will also have the added bonus of great performance gains.

Here is the v6 header dyno chart: http://www.msdsinc.com/ho816.html

If you have a 4 cylinder, even better! The installation is much easier with the direct-fit to cat system, and is much cheaper. There are not as many gains as the v6 model per-se, but the performance is still quite possibly the strongest regarding bolt-ons for the Mazda 6i out on the aftermarket.

Header Builds

When ordering through the MSDS website, sometimes people get a bit confused about which model to order, so I'll simplify everything for you:

For a 4 cylinder Mazda 6i, the part will be HO816i, which is the direct-fit to cat model. It is designed mainly for 2003-2008, but is also compatible with 2nd gen 2009-2012. If you have a 2nd gen, you will need to add a short section of tube to the stock cat pipe in order to mate with the MSDS header.

Regarding 6 cylinders, 2003-2005 Mazda 6s will use the part HO816. For 2006-2008, the correct part is HO816G2. The 2nd Generation of Mazda 6 v6 models are not supported by MSDS. The "G2" is referring to the gen 1.5 Mazda 6, not the 2nd gen. This has gotten many people confused, I hope this cleared everything up.

I was mistakenly under the impression that a 2009-2012 6 cylinder header was available, but this is not true. Only the 2.3L 2nd gens are supported.

IMPORTANT: Marty has brought to my attention that 4 cylinder customers will need to indicate whether they have 1 or 2 oxygen sensors downstream, as apparently it differs by state. I was under the impression that we all have 2 downstream, if someone could re-enforce this it would be much appreciated.

*Important Disclaimer*

These headers are marked as race only, and are NOT emissions approved in all 50 states. There is a possibility of these headers causing a CEL due to increased air flow. If you experience this, I highly advise to purchase some O2 simulators. (Here's a good brand: http://www.ubertechnics.com/o2_simulator_2.5.aspx) There is a 1 year warranty attached to all products. Please be aware of what you are purchasing, and read the product policies at the MSDS website prior to purchasing. Here is a link to the MSDS website: http://www.msdsinc.com/overview.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
---

Last edited by Mr.Smoke; 05-29-2013 at 05:20 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (10-14-2013), jlowery2005 (05-29-2013), RayM6 (05-16-2013), tank1707 (05-17-2013), WeakSauce (05-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want this but have no money I hope someone Jumps on this

1st car- Mazda 626 sold

2nd car Chevy cavalier critical engine failure scraped
3rd car Honda civic totaled

4th and current one
04 Mazda 6s wagon
mods
hids
nothing else

mods to come
coil overs
exhaust and headers
and some things i will keep a surprise
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure where to locate the o2 sensors. Also how often is it where someone gets a CEL from the headers?

2007 Glacier Silver Mazda 6i ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
whats the honest gain for header on the 6i? im curious.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that this GB is @WeakSauce's baby. Any questions/inquiries should be directed towards him.

---
---
---

Last edited by Mr.Smoke; 05-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
WeakSauce (05-17-2013)
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Domination66, 2003 mazda 6i 4 cyl. Put me on the list please. I also would like to know about the 02 sensor location too and the CEL . Also are these headers good for a DD mazda or only race?

Last edited by Domination66; 05-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Isnt 04 6i

post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination66 View Post
Domination66, 2003 mazda 6i 4 cyl. Put me on the list please. I also would like to know about the 02 sensor location too and the CEL . Also are these headers good for a DD mazda or only race?
They are listed race only due to the emissions testing in some states but if your lucky like me and live in fl than as long as you don't have blue or red flashing lights your can do pretty much anything you want. I don't know the answer to thwn02 sensors but the cell is going to throw a lean code most likely due to more air flow

1st car- Mazda 626 sold

2nd car Chevy cavalier critical engine failure scraped
3rd car Honda civic totaled

4th and current one
04 Mazda 6s wagon
mods
hids
nothing else

mods to come
coil overs
exhaust and headers
and some things i will keep a surprise
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisk2010 For This Useful Post:
Domination66 (05-17-2013)
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Excellent, just want to add that all people who showed interest on the previous forum will need to state again here that they are interested in the GB. @Kware22 and @cmorty72 that means you guys lol.

Also, this is available for all forum members including guests. Remember, the more people that join the GB, the greater the discounts.

The list will be updated when the mods have a chance to do so.

To address CEL questions: the v6 models will basically all get CEL's. With the i4's, it's a hit or miss, but you can expect to get one as well. To fix these codes, you will need to install some wideband O2 simulators to tell the ECU to chill out and adjust to the extra air flow. I put in a link to some good sims in the GB; those are the one's I'll be picking up in tandem with the headers.

@chrisk2010 is right about why they are marked as race-only. They are perfectly fine for DD as well.

I live in California, where it's crazy emissions-wise what we have to deal with, yet I'm still getting these headers. I have a smog buddy who runs a shop, so I know all the tricks. The headers will pass visual inspection as most smog techs won't even look at it, but if you're worried about it and your local smog guy is an asshole then just put the heat shield over it as @Isnt suggested. As for the CEL codes, there are 2 options to pass smog: get O2 sims or chnage back to stock headers when testing time comes around. Smog is every 2 years, so it's easy to prep for it.

Forgot to add: I asked Marty about the dyno charts for the 6i header, but he did not have a copy unfortunately. I have tried searching through some other forums for a dyno chart of before and after header installs, but I could not find one as well. If anyone is able to find a graph, if you could kindly post it or link it here it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by WeakSauce; 05-17-2013 at 04:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WeakSauce For This Useful Post:
Domination66 (05-17-2013)
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakSauce View Post
Excellent, just want to add that all people who showed interest on the previous forum will need to state again here that they are interested in the GB. @Kware22 and @cmorty72 that means you guys lol.

Also, this is available for all forum members including guests. Remember, the more people that join the GB, the greater the discounts.

The list will be updated when the mods have a chance to do so.

To address CEL questions: the v6 models will basically all get CEL's. With the i4's, it's a hit or miss, but you can expect to get one as well. To fix these codes, you will need to install some wideband O2 simulators to tell the ECU to chill out and adjust to the extra air flow. I put in a link to some good sims in the GB; those are the one's I'll be picking up in tandem with the headers.

@chrisk2010 is right about why they are marked as race-only. They are perfectly fine for DD as well.

I live in California, where it's crazy emissions-wise what we have to deal with, yet I'm still getting these headers. I have a smog buddy who runs a shop, so I know all the tricks. The headers will pass visual inspection as most smog techs won't even look at it, but if you're worried about it and your local smog guy is an asshole then just put the heat shield over it as @Isnt suggested. As for the CEL codes, there are 2 options to pass smog: get O2 sims or chnage back to stock headers when testing time comes around. Smog is every 2 years, so it's easy to prep for it.

Forgot to add: I asked Marty about the dyno charts for the 6i header, but he did not have a copy unfortunately. I have tried searching through some other forums for a dyno chart of before and after header installs, but I could not find one as well. If anyone is able to find a graph, if you could kindly post it or link it here it would be much appreciated!
should be about 12 hp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page