Mazda 6 Forums banner

Diesels are coming!!!

15K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  hoodlum 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Mazda 6 Diesel wagon M/T

So, why not get the wagon here? There are actually a lot of us that would prefer a wagon - not all of us care for the SUV craze, and the driving experience of the wagon is like a sedan with the utility of a mid-size suv.
Frankly, the design - looks of the Mazda 6 wagon is one of the very best out there. Would have bought that in a second if I had the chance.
They are available in Europe... can it be so hard to bring them here?

#3 ·
I'm not sure I'd go diesel or not, since I've had limited exposure to diesel vehicles and they were all old slow pokes, but if they do bring them over, I would like to test drive one for sure to compare to the feel of the gasoline engine. I still want the 2.5 turbo and AWD to make it into the 6 though and of course a coupe 6 version - which I'm pretty sure not likely to happen.

#5 ·
Or dare we truly dream that we can get the AWD and the diesel in the wagon. I would be at my local dealer at 6AM waiting to buy one, lol.

#10 ·
If you check the press release on their official website....

The engine lineup offers selections appropriate to each market. This includes Mazda’s SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine, along with the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 and SKYACTIV-G 2.5 direct-injection gasoline engines.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Global Press Materials (U.S. Version) - Inside Mazda

Nothing specified for US market CX5's but this is a US based website where similar releases like, the 3 & 6 for instance, had no mention of diesels although they're available overseas. So it seems they've sorted out the emissions issue and it will indeed be available here in the states at last. I'm certain the 6 will be next to follow.

Apparently there will be another press release at the auto show today regarding the diesel's availability.

#11 ·
It is official now.

Mazda to Offer Diesel Engine in All-New Mazda CX-5 for North America From Second Half of 2017 - Nov 16, 2016

HIROSHIMA, Japan, Nov. 16, 2016 /CNW/ - Mazda Motor Corporation announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show* today it will offer the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine in the all-new Mazda CX-5 for North America from the second half of 2017. It will be Mazda's first diesel engine model in the North American market.

The SKYACTIV-D 2.2 to be fitted in the all-new CX-5 for North America provides a torque-rich driving experience and revs freely to high RPMs. It will meet the region's strict emission standards and make the all-new CX-5 one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its class. The engine also adopts Natural Sound Smoother and Natural Sound Frequency Control, proprietary technologies that reduce diesel knock sound for a quieter and more pleasing sound.

"We're confident this engine offers a smart new option for North American drivers who want both performance and fuel economy," said Akira Marumoto, Mazda's Executive Vice President and Representative Director.

By providing driving pleasure and outstanding environmental performance to all customers, Mazda aims to enrich people's lives and become a brand with which customers feel an emotional connection.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I stand corrected if that's the case. The trick will be to see if CARB will be satisfied with these revisions. I don't think Volkswagen's Dieselgate will hurt diesel sales if other manufacturers come to bad. What WILL happen is more scrutiny in getting diesels CARB approved. After all, if California allows them they must be clean.

#18 ·
I drove a '13 diesel hatch M6 over in Norway a couple years ago, and I absolutely cannot wait to have that option over here. Please Mazda? Pretty please?

I'll even venture to say it -- I think the M6 hatch looks better than the M3 hatch.

#19 ·
Diesel Wagon Please...

Sitting in my driveway right now is a 2013 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. It will go away as soon as VW writes the check.
It is parked next to my 2 month old 2016 Mazda 6.

If the Mazda 6 diesel wagon was available me and 450K other owners would have looked at it for sure.
Mazda is a bit late to the game, sales would have skyrocketed on a diesel wagon. Wife and I have already discussed trading the sedan in for a wagon when they hit the market in the states.

And no, nothing I own stays stock for long. :grin2:

Attachments

#32 ·
Yes it's possible... But a huge headache. You have to hire a customs broker. You have to de-register the car from where it's coming from. If it's coming to California, you have to switch out all the manifolds and put in the California legal ones and go pass Smog.

Looks like it would be about 2 - 2.5 months to get your car and about $2000 shipping paperwork another $2000 for Smogging. Just a really big headache

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#33 ·
It looks like we are getting an updated version compared to what is currently available in Europe.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Diesel Is a Car Worth Waiting For | Feature | Car and Driver

Revisions to the engine’s injector design and injection strategy will help the 2.2 exceed the 173 horsepower it makes in the rest of the world. Drivability and NVH also will be improved over that engine, which chugs out 310 pound-feet of torque.

#34 ·
I love the idea but North America is a very hostile place right now for a small diesel. I hope they can get this done without any emissions "scandals" like the other big producers of diesels. VW is stopping selling then here too. Tough times to bring them here, I feel Mazda is about 15yrs too late.

#35 ·
When it comes to cars, Americans can hold a terrible grudge. Say the word DIESEL and images such as Oldsmobile and Peugot will come to mind. That was over 30yrs ago. What's funny is that people seem to gravitate to diesel pickups with hardly any hesitation despite their demons (Ford NaviStar, 1st gen GM Duramax, etc) yet diesel cars get much more scrutiny.

#36 ·
Diesel trucks have a lower standard for emissions.

#37 ·
Which wasn't my point. FWIW I agree that truck diesels get away with more pollution than a car diesel, which is partially why the US automakers fuel the truck./SUV craze. My point was that truck diesels are just as prone to failure as car diesels, but people hold car diesels to a higher standard... or it's just the continued US stigma that trucks>cars as daily drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.