Speculation on 4th gen Mazda 6? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speculation on 4th gen Mazda 6?

The interwebs seem convinced that the Mazda 6 is due for a replacement in 2017 as a 2018 model. It seems to me that there were to many 2016 and 2017 updates to make that logical...

Does anyone in here have any speculation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
What we do know is that the 2nd generation of Sky-Activ motors are due by 2018. I could see Mazda taking that time to release their 4th gen models. Whether that will make MY2018 or MY2019 remains to be seen. Having said that, I don't think Mazda can go another year without a major refresh. Almost all their competitors have had major refreshes since the 3rd gen 6 came out.
UNLTD1487 and Jdadams01 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to michael95350 For This Useful Post:
UNLTD1487 (07-15-2017)
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
New MX-5, new MX-5 RF, new CX-3, new CX-9, 3 is newer then the 6, but I think the CX-5 is oldest. However, with both of the new CUV/SUV's, I'm thinking the sedan's are next.

At least I have chicken- Leeroy Jenkins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

v5.0 and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
I don't think Mazda can go another year without a major refresh. Almost all their competitors have had major refreshes since the 3rd gen 6 came out.
Really agree with this. If they don't release something new, they'll likely be left behind. Bringing some of the design and changes from the CX-9 in would be a hit, I think. The exterior design of the CX-9 has gotten rave reviews and the interior refinement is above its direct competitors. Would love to see a Signature trim with the auburn Nappa leather and rose wood trim. The turbo 4 would obviously be a big hit, too. Gotta think that Mazda wouldn't wait a full two model years to bring that over to other models.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdadams01 View Post
Really agree with this. If they don't release something new, they'll likely be left behind. Bringing some of the design and changes from the CX-9 in would be a hit, I think. The exterior design of the CX-9 has gotten rave reviews and the interior refinement is above its direct competitors. Would love to see a Signature trim with the auburn Nappa leather and rose wood trim. The turbo 4 would obviously be a big hit, too. Gotta think that Mazda wouldn't wait a full two model years to bring that over to other models.
I would love to see another mazdaspeed variety. I loved my Mazdaspeed 3 and had it been closer would've gotten another one of them this past weekend as opposed to the 2016 mazda 6 I now have. But alas I have what I have and will enjoy it for what it is until I can afford a sportier car and turn this over to my oldest when he turns 16. I also think they are missing out on a large market not having a "speed" variety of car in their lineup....so I hope you're right.
Freddy NOCO likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
There wont be any MazdaSpeeds in near future, and when they do launch one, it will be a mazdaspeed3 before speed6. There might be a market for high performance economy cars, but there are plenty of contenders already. As much as i'd love to see another Speed3/Speed6, Mazda's priority will be SUVs ,compacts and mid-sizes in that order. They need to sell lots of units to remain independent and stay profitable. I wouldn't be too surprised if Mazda goes the Honda way with M6 and M3 sharing the same platform.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
That's the thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilR View Post
There wont be any MazdaSpeeds in near future, and when they do launch one, it will be a mazdaspeed3 before speed6. There might be a market for high performance economy cars, but there are plenty of contenders already. As much as i'd love to see another Speed3/Speed6, Mazda's priority will be SUVs ,compacts and mid-sizes in that order. They need to sell lots of units to remain independent and stay profitable. I wouldn't be too surprised if Mazda goes the Honda way with M6 and M3 sharing the same platform.
Mazda is not looking to stay in economy cars. They are going up-market.

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Before you say that, Honda currently uses the Civic chassis for their Acura ILX compact. You also have the Audi A3 and BMW 2 series in the compact market. I think Mazda can upmarket the 3 and still stay within reason price-wise.

I agree with others on here that Mazda is looking more at opulence than track numbers. They want to design a dynamic car with capturing looks and refinement that's not seen at their price level. That being said, I think any kind of xSpeed is a low priority. If they brought a MazdaSpeed3 out in 2018, it would face some stiff (and established) competition:

Ford Focus ST
Subaru WRX STI
VW GTI

Not to mention the new Ford Focus RS and Honda Civic Type R that are getting ready for release. There is simply too much R&D and not enough revenue to support a Speed project. Best to feed the SUV/CUV craze to get some much needed cash flow in.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
If they do decide to go "luxury", then they will be slugging it out with likes of Mercedes and Jaguars, and no matter how hard Mazda tries, they cannot overcome near century old history and brand recognition of luxury german or english marques or a history of no-compromise high quality of Lexus. Mazda may try to go "premium" aka Acura and Infiniti, but they will need decent set of motors and tons of cash to create a new brand awareness. The next big thing in automotive industry is electrics and self driving cars, by 2020 Mazda will have to switch its focus towards the possibility of a post-internal combustion engine and driverless car world. They dont have $$ to create a hybrid, let alone full electric vehicle. So spending cash on creating a new brand identity of Speed models may not be their priority. My guess is they will sell themselves to a bigger company within the next 10 yrs. They cannot sustain and develop at the current volumes for long.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
You guys forget that we are in the decade count-down to 2025 and 55.5mpg CAFE. Everything will become more and more focused on squeezing every MPG possible. That means smaller displacement turbo engines, tall gearing, weight reduction, etc.

Exciting times if you are an environmentalist or government regulator...not so much if you're a car enthusiast.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page