Speculation on 4th gen Mazda 6? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
That doesn't imply that. Mazda has introduced engine upgrades in the past that don't coincide with the gen change. Mazda has already said that the Mazda6 will be getting the Diesel soon after the CX-5 so there will be 2 engine option with the 4th gen.

Skyactiv is not just an engine upgrade. It's the brand name for a range of technologies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

SkyActiv 1 wasn't dribbled out to old body styles. It coincided with an overhaul of the entire Mazda line. If SkyActiv 2 is a significant step change (which it's purported to be), I just don't see them dribbling the tech out as incremental updates to the gen 3 bodies...or substantially revamping to Gen 4 bodies built on the SkActiv 1 platform for one year, and then slipstreaming SkyActiv 2 a model year later.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 01-13-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Skyactiv is not just an engine upgrade. It's the brand name for a range of technologies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

SkyActiv 1 wasn't dribbled out to old body styles. It coincided with an overhaul of the entire Mazda line. If SkyActiv 2 is a significant step change (which it's purported to be), I just don't see them dribbling the tech out as incremental updates to the gen 3 bodies...or substantially revamping to Gen 4 bodies built on the SkActiv 1 platform for one year, and then slipstreaming SkyActiv 2 a model year later.

Remember though they did "Beta" test the first Skyactiv engines in the second gen 3 before the CX5 release. They didn't have the trick exhaust manifold or the body structure, so it's possible that for test and reliability sake they may deploy Skyactiv 2 engines in Skyactiv models. If I were to guess it maybe the 2017 CX5 is the test mule for Skyactiv 2. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mazda3 will be getting the new engine first.

Exclusive: Mazda's new engine boosts fuel efficiency by 30%- Nikkei Asian Review

Mazda plans to incorporate the new engine in 2018 in the new Mazda3, dubbed Axela in Japan, which will undergo its first overhaul in five years. The engine then will be adopted gradually by other models. The automaker positions the engine as the second generation of its Skyactiv suite of environmentally friendly technologies, which were introduced in 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
If they can actually make HCCI work on gasoline it will be a material step forward. I don't know about a 30% efficiency improvement (that's aggressive), but in the ~20% area over existing "high-tech" engines (E.g. Skyactiv today) is within the realm of possibility.

Essentially it's a diesel engine that runs on gasoline. These have existed for a LONG time -- the military had a diesel that had a special high-swirl combustion chamber and COULD run on gas (along with diesel and kerosene derivatives such as JP8), but it suffered terrible service life, had crap for economy, lower output and sky-high emissions if you used it. Basically it was possible to fuel it with gas in an emergency if you HAD TO, but it definitely wasn't what you WANTED to fuel it with.

This has been a nut plenty of people have been trying to crack for a good long while. It'll be very interesting to see how well Mazda does it.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I found something about a potential 2018 version here, but it even says that it might come out in 2019.

http://releasedatesautos.com/2018-mazda-6/
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
I found something about a potential 2018 version here, but it even says that it might come out in 2019.

Yeah that doesn't say much except "how lazy" Mazda is. Anyone who thinks Mazda is lazy needs to reacquaint themselves with the definition of lazy. An automaker who comes back from the brink of death by totally reinventing themselves is not lazy. Maybe cautious and conservative, but not lazy.

HamptonRoader and af1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener View Post

Click-bait site. If you try to pull up "2018 Mazda 6" on a search engine query, you will get mounds of these click-baits. Some just bombard you with ads, others hide various malware. Tread carefully.
aneville11 likes this.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Good point...didn't even consider that.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:55 AM
af1
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Yeah that doesn't say much except "how lazy" Mazda is. Anyone who thinks Mazda is lazy needs to reacquaint themselves with the definition of lazy. An automaker who comes back from the brink of death by totally reinventing themselves is not lazy. Maybe cautious and conservative, but not lazy.

Agreed 100% and they have done a fine job to say the least!
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post

Totally agree about the cautious and conservative and couldn't agree more about the lazy part as well. They are far from that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page