Speculation on 4th gen Mazda 6? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
I don't necessarily buy that higher CAFE will equal less exciting cars. If anything it may lead to lighter more efficient AND exciting cars. Moving from steel to carbon fibre and pushing tech further. I'm not saying I won't miss NA engines, but who knows maybe once Mazda gets more of a foothold in their strategy and makes more money they'll come out with engine tech beyond HCCI.

Pure horsepower doesn't mean pure enthusiasm. It's a combination of traits. And that's what I think Mazda continues to pursue. I personally like the low weight route. Improves handling and tossability. Every time I read or watch a review that focuses on horsepower and speed I laugh. It's great fun to dream that we all live on the Autobahn or next to the Laguna Seca but the truth is the majority of enthusiasts live in traffic and speed limits. That's why a car like the Miata is such a great drive.

As long as a car is responsive, quick and tossable, I'm happy. IMO.
GWL, michael95350 and Freddy NOCO like this.

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Agreed. Back in the early 2000s I tuned a couple of Saturn SL2s. Once I had the right set-up, they were a thrill. Tar like grip, very responsive to input yet civil on a cruise. I didn't modify the block at all to achieve this either. Horsepower is indeed only part of a complex equation. Then again, there are people who only experience a thrill at blinding speeds and loaded acceleration G forces. To each their own.

I also agree that the 55MPG CAFE mandate won't kill 'fun' cars. Sure, you're going to see less big blocks and most cars won't see more than 6 cylinders. More focus will be made on turbos, superchargers, hydrogen fuel cells, EVs and HCCI technology. I also think Graphene will come of age to create lightweight chassis and shells without the bank-busting costs of carbon fiber.

The future will be less about Mustang v Camaro and more about Focus RS v Civic Type R. I think that the days of large SUVs like the Suburbans are numbered as well. As the CAFE requirements starts ratcheting up, it will be harder to maintain the numbers with guzzlers like that.
Freddy NOCO likes this.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The kid ceo from ride sharing service "lyft" was on TV last night. He was quoting some analysis they had done which suggests by 2035, half of US population will be "car free". Cars going electric,self-charging and self driving along with shared services will be the future. As much as i hate to be in a world where there will be no IC engined cars or private car ownership, i also think how much sharing of autos will free up the infrastructure expenses . Ofcourse, all this could well be pipe dreams of companies like uber or lyft, but with car companies like Ford,GM and Toyota all spending on ride sharing services, they too see a future where car ownership will decrease.

Mazda will have to be cognizant of changing topography in automotive world, and will need to adapt. Truth be told, smaller companies like mazda have always struggled to adapt to changing markets and remain independent. In 25 years from now, i doubt if the world will have 20+ major automobile companies as we have today. For us old timers, this may well be the last hurrah of performance IC engine cars, huge variety of affordable luxury and performance and cheap gas prices. The future may well be very very different.
GWL and Freddy NOCO like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
I don't necessarily buy that higher CAFE will equal less exciting cars. If anything it may lead to lighter more efficient AND exciting cars. Moving from steel to carbon fibre and pushing tech further. I'm not saying I won't miss NA engines, but who knows maybe once Mazda gets more of a foothold in their strategy and makes more money they'll come out with engine tech beyond HCCI.

Pure horsepower doesn't mean pure enthusiasm. It's a combination of traits. And that's what I think Mazda continues to pursue. I personally like the low weight route. Improves handling and tossability. Every time I read or watch a review that focuses on horsepower and speed I laugh. It's great fun to dream that we all live on the Autobahn or next to the Laguna Seca but the truth is the majority of enthusiasts live in traffic and speed limits. That's why a car like the Miata is such a great drive.

As long as a car is responsive, quick and tossable, I'm happy. IMO.
I agree with you...100%.

Light weight, efficient power plants, nimble handling all add up to a very attractive package for me too. It's just a lot of folks on this forum (and other forums I belong to) are always speculating/calling for V6's, all wheel drive, etc. in the next generation-whatever. Whatever the future holds, I don't think the affordable mid-size segment will ever see these features again...at least not in a car I'll probably be able to afford.

But hey, I've been wrong once or twice before.

Whatever Mazda does with the 6, hopefully it will always keep "fun to drive" at the front of its design objectives. 😃

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Toyota seems to be bucking the trend and sticking with NA engines with their new Camry. There may still be some life in the 2.5L if Mazda can roll out SkyActive2 soon.

Here are the 2.5L engine specs from the new Camry. The engine on the right of the chart is for the Hybrid. The standard engine on the left outputs 205hp/185lbft with a 13:1 compression ratio. Toyota hasn't announced mileage but they say it will be best in class.

https://www.7car.tw/articles/read/40224

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They need to stick to what they are good at. Affordable, fun to drive cars.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The field will be level once every car maker has a electric option in their line up .. not a 30 miles car but a 300 miles car.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
According to this Automotive News article, SkyActiv 2 will be delivered by March 2019. While that doesn't preclude that it'll be available in 2018, it's looking more likely that the SkyActiv 2 suite won't be launching for another 2 years....Which implies the 2018 Mazda 6 will still be the Gen 3 model.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-move-upmarket

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 01-13-2017 at 01:42 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
According to this Automotive News article, SkyActiv 2 will be delivered by March 2019. While that doesn't preclude that it'll be available in 2018, it's looking more likely that the SkyActiv 2 sweet won't be launching for another 2 years....Which implies the 2018 Mazda 6 will still be the Gen 3 model.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-move-upmarket
That doesn't imply that. Mazda has introduced engine upgrades in the past that don't coincide with the gen change. Mazda has already said that the Mazda6 will be getting the Diesel soon after the CX-5 so there will be 2 engine option with the 4th gen.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
After seeing the CX5, I'm now going to bank that the M6 gets a moderate exterior refresh in 2018 to mimic the design language of the CX5, but retain the drivetrain and chassis it has now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page