Mazda 6 Forums banner

Gen 3 vs. refreshed Gen 3.5 from LA auto show compared

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Jerrycobra 
#1 · (Edited)
Pics: Gen 3 vs. refreshed Gen 3.5 from LA auto show compared

I went to the LA auto show and took a few quick comparison shots, they are not the best, but it gives a general idea of the differences. Mazda only had 2 Mazda 6 on display, one 2015 GT and the refreshed 2016 GT. I talked to the reps there and they have no idea how the other trims will look, the only thing they know is the 2016 GT example at the show. So I guess we need to wait till they arrive at dealers to see how the other trims stack up.

before I go on here is little tip for anyone going to the show, the 2016 is on a platform surrounded by low clear panels, and looks be off limits. but all you need to do is ask a Mazda rep and they will let you get up close to it and sit inside and play with the stuff, they just want to keep an eye on it at all times.

I will keep it simple, top its 2015, bottom is 2016

front quarter

front

back. at least on the this example, the 2016 looses the spoiler

headlights and fog. If you look closely it looks like the 2016 has a small reflector housing in the same spot as the 2014-15 sport and touring trims

tail lights

front side

arm rest comparison

the updated interior bits. the rest of the stuff is pretty much carry over. The dome map lights on the 2016 were LEDs, but door courtesy lights remain incandescent. I didn't notice any changes to the seats, front or rear. also I did not notice the bigger door storage till I got home and looked at the one of the threads

See less See more
#2 ·
I went to the LA auto show and took a few quick comparison shots, they are not the best, but it gives a general idea of the differences. Mazda only had 2 Mazda 6 on display, one 2015 GT and the refreshed 2016 GT. I talked to the reps there and they have no idea how the other trims will look, the only thing they know is the 2016 GT example at the show. So I guess we need to wait till they arrive at dealers to see how the other trims stack up.

I will keep it simple, top its 2015, bottom is 2016

front quarter

front

back. at least on the this example, the 2016 looses the spoiler

headlights and fog. If you look closely it looks like the 2016 has a small reflector housing in the same spot as the 2014-15 sport and touring trims

tail lights

front side

arm rest comparison

the updated interior bits. the rest of the stuff is pretty much carry over. The dome map lights on the 2016 were LEDs, but door courtesy lights remain incandescent. I didn't notice any changes to the seats, front or rear. also I did not notice the bigger door storage till I got home and looked at the one of the threads

Nice? thanks those are some great comparison pictures! There are so slight differences from what can see in these pictures. They are both nice cars (one in the same) but I am still loving the 2016. And why does the rims on the 2016 GT look so much darker? Is that a 2015 GT?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Nice? thanks those are some great comparison pictures! There are so slight differences from what can see in these pictures. They are both nice cars (one in the same) but I am still loving the 2016. And why does the rims on the 2016 GT look so much darker? Is that a 2015 GT?

both are GTs. I asked a rep about it and she told me those darker 'gunmetal' rims are actually a factory accessory/option, also available on the 3

#8 ·
Got ya!:)

I have a feeling that all 2016 GT will come Standard with the new "gunmetal" rims.
And there doesn't seem to be a Spoiler on the back of the GT anymore? ?

From the press release: "The 19-inch aluminum wheel with high-gloss paint adopts a darker color that emphasizes the brightness and greater depth of its metallic look."

I read it elsewhere as well(in more specific terms), the 19's will be darker. At least on the GT.

#7 ·
First,

Thank you for the comparison pics, I will be heading up to the LA auto show on Tuesday too browse around.

Second,

Call me biased but I prefer the interior layout of my car (2014) than the newer (2016). Of course cause I sit in my car everyday and I have been used to the designs and quirks, but it seems like the knobs around the commander switch got smaller and the area where you control the climate looks tight in there.

Third,

Things I noticed, hate the nav screen on top just sitting there like "Hey, there's a NAV in the car" look, dislike how they moved the push button to the top of the dash. But I love how they added a mute button (or added it back) to the new car and love the new headlights. I wonder why the removed the lip spoiler?

#9 ·
Thanks for the comparison photos, Jerry. What was your impression of the 2016 when you saw it in person, especially side by side against the 2015? Does it look any different in person than in the photos?

The exterior of the 2015 model looks so much better to me. The 2016 is tamer from every angle except the head on shot. I also prefer the lighter silver wheels over the "platinum" finish. Hope that's a GT only option.

#10 ·
at the show with all the special lighting, honestly at quick glance they are fairly similar. To the average joe they probably cant even tell the difference. at most angles it will just look like a gen 3 mazda 6. The side profile and rear is exactly the same, and the GT looses the rear spoiler, and if the headlights are indeed the same across the board, it will now make it harder to differentiate the trim levels. Exterior wise its not enough for me to envy for it.

Now the interior is so much nicer and improved, the materials are even better and now it doesn't look bland like it used to. even though I prefer a manual e brake the new electronic one cleans up the interior and looks classier. as for the armrest its sufficient for me to lay my forearm on, as it slopes down vs ours where it just drops off completely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.