Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 Mazda 6 (Gen3.5) - General Discussion

822K views 2K replies 214 participants last post by  adeeb_m 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I was expecting a bigger exterior change o_O . Regardless, I do like the new headlights, and the grille! That interior.. that's stellar though! I like how the floating display is more integrated vs the 3 too :). I'm curious how different the non-GT trim will be though....

Reactions: OCTOGONPC
#4 ·
I was expecting a bigger exterior change That interior.. that's stellar though! I like how the floating display is more integrated vs the 3 too :). I'm curious how different the non-GT trim will be though....
Agreed, the interior turned out better than I thought it could with the monolith display.

Is it just the lighting or is the main grill completely chrome now?

Mazda needs to learn one more design trick: More, skinnier slats in the grill = more luxury; less, thicker slats in the grill = more sporty. For how sporty the rest of the design is the grill should have at least 1 less slat maybe even two, that goes for 2014-2015s as well. JMO

#3 ·
Looks like they got LED headlights, nice, I wonder if the lower trims will get the same. The chrome wing on the front looks thick, gotta see it in real life to really justify how it looks. Interior looks very promising

Reactions: OCTOGONPC
#12 · (Edited)
Looks like they got LED headlights, nice, I wonder if the lower trims will get the same. The chrome wing on the front looks thick, gotta see it in real life to really justify how it looks. Interior looks very promising
Yeah, it's kinda weighing down the front of the car especially at the headlight.
If it's brushed aluminum that will make it look bigger than if it were chrome, just due to the difference in reflections of the curvature.

Obviously you can add the eyebrow accents at the fog light housing on the current car for $30 on ebay, so that isn't anything to write home about.

I'm kind of thinking my original concerns with a refresh styling wise are justified, as it doesn't look 100% right. The interior turned out better than the current one, but even there it is less my style than the current old skool luxury look.

We haven't seent the back end yet, they could have done something more Takeri there too that would be really cool.

#8 ·
I doubt that. Considering headlight units are usually the first thing they "refresh" during the mid-cycle changes, I wouldn't bet that the Gen 3.5 would swap with the current model.

#17 ·
more pictures here, showing different angles. The chrome works well, but imo its a bit too heavy. don't see much difference in the rear at all

2012 - [Mazda] 6 III - Page 19

also if Mazda equips the trim levels the same way they have been i feel like only the GT will get the LED units, rest halogen projectors. But never know since the corolla is LED across the board

#18 ·
Wow....I really like it. But the differences are subtle anyway, so it's not like they ruined a good thing.

For anyone who says that the chrome accents look "too heavy", I'd say that the car will look great in silver, where the chrome will practically blend in anyway.

Surprisingly, I think the interior looks really good, and I'm not a fan of all these "tablet sticking out the dash" type infotainment screens.

#19 · (Edited)
2016 Mazda 6 Facelift Leaked?

With the Atenza license plate and the styling/quality of the photos, these seem like the real deal, pulled from the Japanese Atenza sales manual.

Look of Upcoming Mazda6 Facelift Revealed via Leak

Actually looks really nice! You can see what elements they picked up from the re-designed 3. More importantly, the changes look to be very subtle. If this is the real deal, I'll be glad they didn't screw up the amazing design of the 2014-15 Mazda 6. I think I still prefer the look and interior of the current generation, but the facelift doesn't look bad. The build quality and horsepower improvements should make it hard to pass up.

#20 ·
With the Atenza license plate and the styling/quality of the photos, these seem like the real deal, pulled from the Japanese Atenza sales manual.

Look of Upcoming Mazda6 Facelift Revealed via Leak

Actually looks really nice! You can see what elements they picked up from the re-designed 3. More importantly, the changes look to be very subtle. If this is the real deal, I'll be glad they didn't screw up the amazing design of the 2014-15 Mazda 6. I think I still prefer the look and interior of the current generation, but the facelift doesn't look bad. The build quality and horsepower improvements should make it hard to pass up.
Was there any mention of a horsepower increase?

#29 ·

I was worried about having bought a 2015 this summer seeing the refresh and thinking I should have waited. Thankfully I'm happy to say, based on these pictures anyways, that I couldn't be happier with my 2015 and I wouldn't want the 2016.

The new headlights do look pretty nice, but the headlights on the current Grand Touring are too. I don't like the new dash either. I'm sure the infotainment SOFTWARE is better, but I just don't like the way the dash looks here. Also looks like the Commander Switch has more features/buttons/knobs (like the 3), which would be nice, but not enough to get a new car.

All in all there's a few things to like about the refresh, but like every Mazda6 mid-cycle refresh to date, overall I like the current model better than the refresh.

Now I'm clear to wait for either a new engine or the 2019's (4th gen, hopefully) and will be happy with what I have!

#35 ·
all i want is 300hp and awd on this gen, or i'm gonna have to buy another 1st gen speed6 :)

Reactions: Mz6GreyGhost
#42 ·
Hi I'm new at this, but I'm in the market right now for a mazda 6 i Grand touring 2015. I was actually gonna make the deal the end of this month but now seeing this rumor 2016 facelift I am happy to say I didn't get one yet!! lol, I love the Roomy body style exterior of the 6 but prefer the Mazda 3 interior. It was becoming a hard decision. I didn't understand why the 3 looked better then the 6 with interior design & certain other aspects etc. So my question is, if this car is confirm in the next 2 week at LA auto show for north America when can we expect to see it on the show room floor at the mazda dealerships? Sometime in January of 2015? I figured maybe if you guys knew the dates of when the 2014 or the 2015 was released it may give me/us a idea as to when we can expect to see it. I'm so excited Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#43 ·
Hi I'm new at this, but I'm in the market right now for a mazda 6 i Grand touring 2015. I was actually gonna make the deal the end of this month but now seeing this rumor 2016 facelift I am happy to say I didn't get one yet!! lol, I love the Roomy body style exterior of the 6 but prefer the Mazda 3 interior. It was becoming a hard decision. I didn't understand why the 3 looked better then the 6 with interior design & certain other aspects etc. So my question is, if this car is confirm in the next 2 week at LA auto show for north America when can we expect to see it on the show room floor at the mazda dealerships? Sometime in January of 2015? I figured maybe if you guys knew the dates of when the 2014 or the 2015 was released it may give me/us a idea as to when we can expect to see it. I'm so excited Thanks!

Both the 2014 and 2015 were released in January. The 2014 on Jan 1st, and the 2015 was closer to the end of the month. Volumes were LOW for the first 3-5 months of the new models.

#53 ·
Yeah I bet.. I didn't think about that part. I looking for a snowflake GT. Someone said something about pre-ordering ? Can you did that

Snowflake GT is the way to go (that's what I have)!

You can pre-order but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's not like they'll make an extra one of what you want and send it to your dealer. But it might help your dealer get the one you want first and make sure you can get it the day it comes off the truck.

I bought both my Mazda 6's that way but it took almost 5 months to get the one I wanted for the 2003 model. Ordered it in Nov 02' and they couldn't find what I wanted until March. And even then they had to have someone drive it from 215 miles away so my car had 220 miles on it when I got it and an extra $150 (or so) to pay the guy that drover it here.

My 2015 I bought in June so it was not an issue. Plus my new one is an easy one to find (the 03' matched less than 1% of all 6's sold int he US that year).

#58 ·
Hi, New here from Australia

I just pre-ordered on the other day. cost difference was around $1300 AUD. There are other changes as well.

All models have LED head, tail, fog lamps. infotainment and dash changes
Touring and up get the parking brake.
GT gets a HUD

safety pack get a Smart city brakes while reversing.

Same engine though.

#61 ·
Hi, New here from Australia

I just pre-ordered on the other day. cost difference was around $1300 AUD. There are other changes as well.

All models have LED head, tail, fog lamps. infotainment and dash changes

Touring and up get the parking brake.

GT gets a HUD

safety pack get a Smart city brakes while reversing.

Same engine though.

Everything about this car is sounding good. It seems like it is getting the same interior look as the mazda 3 but better. It's clear to me now I'll wait.

#70 · (Edited)
I wonder with the new add on Crome around the fog lights & grill make it look ugly now. Or is it too much
The styling of the 2015 model (both the interior and exterior) look better to me than the 2016, but I'll reserve judgment until we see better photos from the LA Auto Show.

If there's no power increase and if the build quality hasn't improved, I'd personally be inclined to consider buying a left over 2015.

#75 ·
I already have my tix for this year's LA Auto Show..I will be snapping up close pics, on the 2016 GJ 3.5.

If not an uprated power of the long stoke 2.5L..I'd expect a notch or so of improved mpgs.

Quite likely when the power train warranty of my "stop gap" Sexy Beast runs out in <3yrs...the last yr issue "perfected" 3.5 6MT, could be it (that or some better Mazda to my liking, by then).

#76 ·
Looking forward to that Ex.. I'm only 2K from being out of warranty, LOL. I'm hopeful there is a power tease in the mix as well, but am doubtful of it at this point... :/ I've said it before and I'll say it again though. I would settle for giving up less power in the summer months, even on higher octane fuels -.-

#86 · (Edited)
That doesn't look quite like the mag photos, nor a production car for that matter. Look at those mirrors, pretty common concept mirrors anymore. Maybe a shinari replica?... If that's a true untouched 3.5 model car.... *drool*... I tend to lean more towards the pamphlet photos we've seen revealed though. Kind of odd to see a shinari stateside though.... unless it's there to hang out with the re-design to show where it was pulled from.

BTW, I think with 2017 looking to be the year of the alt drivetrains for other MFGs (electric) Mazda is going to have a hard road to uphold the MPG wars without one. Afterall.. once you start talking 80-90+MPG, it's hard to compete with any fuel source. But then again, IMO and the #'s I've ran, to see a realistic and justifiable $ amount in fuel savings, you HAVE to go to about 80-90 from 40 before it makes a difference in the wallet. Mind you that was when I was calculating based on my 120 mile a day drive! For the average driver it could be far more or far less (heavy city driving <40 miles each way electric becomes a clear bargain)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.