2014 Mazda 6 mpg? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Future Models
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2014 Mazda 6 mpg?

Hi

I'm in the market for a mid size sedan, and so far am considering the 2013 models of Nissan Altima 2.5SV, Honda Accord EX, Toyota Camry Hybrid, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

I'm also interested in the 2014 Mazda 6 which I understand may be released in January. Any guesses on what the EPA mileage may be for the 2.5L gas version (AT)? I understand that it would be an educated guess at this point, but I may go ahead and get one of the former if it isn't expected to at least meet or exceed the Nissan Altima's 27/38/31 EPA mileage.

thanks for your help and any other thoughts on the models selected

Last edited by mrshanno; 12-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
mrshanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts

I would wait till mid year and pick up the model with skyactiv-D. Thing cranks out 310 ft/lb of torque, and still gets 33 city and 43 highway iirc.

Cobb AP - CP-E Nano SRI - CP-E Single exit CBE - CP-E RMM - PG TIP - SLS TP - Forge V1 BPV - HKS Hipermax LS+ Coilovers - Car_LED Tails - Prosport Gauges - Dashhawk - JBR SSP/Counterweight/Bushings/Heavy Shift Knob
Jjkalai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanno View Post
Hi

I'm in the market for a mid size sedan, and so far am considering the 2013 models of Nissan Altima 2.5SV, Honda Accord EX, Toyota Camry Hybrid, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

I'm also interested in the 2014 Mazda 6 which I understand may be released in January. Any guesses on what the EPA mileage may be for the 2.5L gas version (AT)? I understand that it would be an educated guess at this point, but I may go ahead and get one of the former if it isn't expected to at least meet or exceed the Nissan Altima's 27/38/31 EPA mileage.

thanks for your help and any other thoughts on the models selected
It is certainly not going to exceed that. The 2.0l Skyactiv-G in the CX-5 doesn't hit those numbers and this is a bigger engine (although a lighter and more aerodynamic vehicle as well). The 2.2l Skyactiv-D should exceed those numbers by all estimation however.
Gavintech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjkalai View Post
I would wait till mid year and pick up the model with skyactiv-D. Thing cranks out 310 ft/lb of torque, and still gets 33 city and 43 highway iirc.
It will get around 37-40 MPG city and around 48-52 U.S. MPG highway, and the reason I know this is because my diesel engine, which is two generations prior, gets around 37 MPG city and around 48 MPG highway, and the new Sky-D is vastly optimized and improved over the engine I have in my mazda6.

No idea what kind of fuel consumption the Sky-G gasoline engine will get, but in my experience, gasoline engines are not even worth looking at. In comparison to 310 footpounds of torque all to way to the redline of the Sky-D diesel, the 189 footpounds at 3600 RPM will feel anemic, not to mention that it will never be as fuel efficient or clean burning as Sky-D.

Last edited by Annatar; 12-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
It will get around 37-40 MPG city and around 48-52 U.S. MPG highway, and the reason I know this is because my diesel engine, which is two generations prior, gets around 37 MPG city and around 48 MPG highway, and the new Sky-D is vastly optimized and improved over the engine I have in my mazda6.

No idea what kind of fuel consumption the Sky-G gasoline engine will get, but in my experience, gasoline engines are not even worth looking at. In comparison to 310 footpounds of torque all to way to the redline of the Sky-D diesel, the 189 footpounds at 3600 RPM will feel anemic, not to mention that it will never be as fuel efficient or clean burning as Sky-D.
Most (actually all that I have seen) of the reviews, although they are not for the same exact car we're going to get here, comparing the 2.2 Skyactiv-D and the 2.5 Skyactiv-G say the Diesel has some pretty bothersome turbo lag and also says the 2.5 Skyactiv-G is hands down the better drivers car.

You wouldn't think so seeing the torque figures and the fact that the power on the D is availible and ready much earlier and throughout the power band, but for whatever reason the reviewers like driving the gas burner better.

I'm going to spend plenty of time in both before deciding. Also waiting for the 2015 before I buy.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavintech View Post
Most (actually all that I have seen) of the reviews, although they are not for the same exact car we're going to get here, comparing the 2.2 Skyactiv-D and the 2.5 Skyactiv-G say the Diesel has some pretty bothersome turbo lag and also says the 2.5 Skyactiv-G is hands down the better drivers car.
I do not see how the diesel engine could possibly have turbo lag, when it has two separate turbos in a sequence, one of which has been specifically designed to be responsive at lower RPM ranges.

Be that as it might, from experience, the diesel engine in my mazda6, which is two generations prior to Sky-D, behaves exactly as a gasoline engine would until 2,200 RPM; it is literally like driving a gasoline car, up to that point.

For my part, I know that I will never again own a gasoline powered vehicle; once one goes diesel - one never goes back (I drove V8's and twin turbo gasoline V6's prior to that). The torque, the high top speed, the acceleration, and the fuel economy makes one addicted.

When I look at the gasoline engines available today, and I compare that to all the diesels I have owned since... there really is no comparison in the same class.

I could compare my diesels with gasoline V8's, that is about as close as a gasoline engine will come when compared to a diesel one. Especially when compared to mazda diesel engines.
Quote:
I'm going to spend plenty of time in both before deciding.
I think that it will quickly and clearly highlight just how superior in performance the diesel engine is, and I think mazda is very wise to position the Sky-D diesel as an alternative to gasoline V8 engines in the minds of its U.S. customers:

(time point 02:08) http://www.youtube.com/v/cK5SQkEUBdo...ure=plpp_video

Just remember to keep the diesel engine in the torque range -- oh! Wait, the torque curve is flat; 310 footpounds of maximum acceleration all the way to the redline!

Last edited by Annatar; 12-14-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Regardless of any of that, every auto journalist I have read that have driven them both and compared them prefers the Mazda6 with the 2.5-G.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would love to try a diesel one day, never have...the only thing is that the cost of diesel where I live always exceeds the gas price. Right now diesel is 0.62 cents higher per gallon than gas.
mrshanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanno View Post
I would love to try a diesel one day, never have...the only thing is that the cost of diesel where I live always exceeds the gas price. Right now diesel is 0.62 cents higher per gallon than gas.
The tank in the 6 will be 60L. Use a conservative calculation of 42 MPG. Now do the same for gasoline on your current car. See which one is cheaper.

For extra points, you can do the calculation using the 2.5L Sky-G numbers, and see which one is cheaper in terms of fuel costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.