Mazda CEO Ruins the Holidays by Confirming Some Bad News - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Mazda CEO Ruins the Holidays by Confirming Some Bad News

Quote:
It appears Mazda has no plans of building a sports car bigger than the current MX-5 Miata.

That means there’s a real good chance that for the time being, the Mazda RX-Vision concept won’t head to production as the RX-9, despite what has been reported in the past. Speaking to Automotive News, Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai simply answered, 'No' when asked if the Japanese automaker has plans for a larger sports car entry. The question was a follow-up to whether Mazda would ever create an RX-8 sports car successor with a range extender, which Kogai replied: 'I think that as a sports car option, the MX-5 1.5-liter or 2.0-liter conventional engine, with its power and acceleration, might be a more exhilarating experience.'

As for whether the rotary engine will live on, Kogai was a bit more cryptic and wouldn’t give a definitive answer. 'But if we were to restart production of the rotary engine again, we need to make sure it wouldn’t be just short-lived,' he said. 'We need it to meet future emissions regulations. We are still conducting our R&D activity to overcome any issues we have with emissions and fuel efficiency.'

So the good news is, Mazda is still working on developing a rotary engine, but it’s unlikely to show up in a new sports car.
Read more about Mazda CEO Ruins the Holidays by Confirming Some Bad News at AutoGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
No surprises there. Mazda needs to get more market share before they can entertain the idea of such a halo car.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Too bad, that car Looks great, but they'd be crazy to make anything other than an electric knowing the numbers a huge Tesla can make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ what are you talking about? Mazda has no existing lithium batteries in any of their cars. Nor have they invested any R&D into electric vehicles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Maybe they've shot themselves in the foot.

I think I can see what they're up to, with HCCI they are banking on ICE technology running longer and it's probably cheaper than the small engine turbo route the europeans have chosen.

Personally I think EVs will be upon us much sooner than predicted. I have a deposit on a Tesla model 3. Once that thing hits the market the EV arms race will be on for young and old. The rate city air pollution is going ICE vehicles will be more or less banned in the big cities world wide in 5 years.

GM and Honda are investing in Hydrogen but I think they've backed the wrong horse....time will tell on that one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Tool View Post
Maybe they've shot themselves in the foot.

I think I can see what they're up to, with HCCI they are banking on ICE technology running longer and it's probably cheaper than the small engine turbo route the europeans have chosen.

Personally I think EVs will be upon us much sooner than predicted. I have a deposit on a Tesla model 3. Once that thing hits the market the EV arms race will be on for young and old. The rate city air pollution is going ICE vehicles will be more or less banned in the big cities world wide in 5 years.

GM and Honda are investing in Hydrogen but I think they've backed the wrong horse....time will tell on that one.

Gas vehicles are going to be banned in big cities across the world in 5 years? Com'n man, let's be just a tad be realistic. Even if EV's become extremely popular in the next 5 years the average person still can't afford them. Most people can't afford a $30k car. Even if they go down in price no my everyone is going to be ditching the millions of ICE vehicles already on the road and in dealer lots. It will be atleast 15 more years before we see any type of ban in big cities and atleast 30 years before a total ICE phaseout.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
Gas vehicles are going to be banned in big cities across the world in 5 years? Com'n man, let's be just a tad be realistic. Even if EV's become extremely popular in the next 5 years the average person still can't afford them. Most people can't afford a $30k car. Even if they go down in price no my everyone is going to be ditching the millions of ICE vehicles already on the road and in dealer lots. It will be atleast 15 more years before we see any type of ban in big cities and atleast 30 years before a total ICE phaseout.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree it'll be some time before at total phase out, but with countries like Norway committed to having no new ICE vehicles sold post 2025 and Paris, Mexico City London and others all looking toward tougher restrictions and higher taxes to curb air pollution I can see EVs becoming more popular as ICE vehicles get taxed out of bigger cities. More sales means lower prices and more used EVs on the market.

For Mazda to be betting this won't happen is a big risk, just like Tesla betting on that it will.

I'd love to get my hands on a P100D with insane mode, 0-60mph in sub 3 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page